Spline drive good or bad

Related:
Create New Tag

11/11/2020 9:04 PM

I’ve been looking at the profile column cranks and wondering if spline drive is bad idea. Do they slip easy , are they not good for street ? Can anyone give me insight please

|

11/11/2020 9:29 PM

I know that it can work with no issues, I’d personally never run it.

I feel like the splined surface area on the inside of the sprocket isn’t big enough, and that all the pressure of pedaling would slowly wear out the splines on the cranks, thus stripping the spindle in the one area where the sprocket sits.

I run odyssey’s socket drive system, it’s tough as nails and I love it. Sprocket stays damn straight after many hard n heavy sprocket stalls. However, I never plan on taking the sprocket off as I’m sure it would be some effort and not worth it unless I really had a reason to change sprockets.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

11/11/2020 9:37 PM

Hmm I keep getting mixed reviews on it I think I’m just gonna go with bolt on cranks to play it safe

|

11/11/2020 10:26 PM

I had a spline drive sprocket once. Literally first trick after putting it on I tapped it on a ledge accidentally and the hole for the insert warped enough the sprocket would wobble. It wasn’t even visibly bent

|

11/11/2020 10:35 PM

.pegless. wrote:

I had a spline drive sprocket once. Literally first trick after putting it on I tapped it on a ledge accidentally and the hole for the insert warped enough the sprocket would wobble. It wasn’t even visibly bent

Wow I was looking at the profile column cranks Chris child’s rides them and he rides hard but I guess that’s. Why they come with a warranty

|

11/12/2020 6:19 AM

they worked fine for me for 4-5 years. lots of hits on it. never failed, no way to slip really. Even had a LaGuardia on there for sprocket stalls.

I wouldn't buy a pair new thou. that idea has kinda came and went. just get bolt drives so you aren't limited by sprocket selection.

|

11/12/2020 7:48 AM

Rode the profile columns for a few years with a spline drive sprocket. Other than being annoying to put on at first they were nice never needed any maintenance. Went back to bolt drive and got tired of the bolts coming loose so I switched back to spline drive recently.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

11/12/2020 7:54 AM

Been riding spine drive for ~10 years. Never had an issue. Though, I've never intentionally bashed my sprocket onto something. I had an S&M one forever, and loved it. However, when the time came to take it off I spent 3-4 hours with a rubber mallet and lots of bad attitude. Not sure why, but couldn't put that same sprocket onto my new cranks, so I ended up just using a premium spline drive that came with my 1948 cranks.

Will my next sprocket/crank-set purchase have spline drive in mind? No, it is too much effort to put on and take off. I'll likely go with the odyssey system.

As many have said, I think the trend has come and gone. Though, I love the look of not needing to bolt to the cranks and having bossless cranks

|

11/12/2020 9:00 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I feel like the splined surface area on the inside of the sprocket isn’t big enough, and that all the pressure of pedaling would slowly wear out the splines on the cranks, thus stripping the spindle in the one area where the sprocket sits.

I run odyssey’s socket drive system, it’s tough as nails and I love it. Sprocket stays damn straight after many hard n heavy sprocket stalls. However, I never plan on taking the sprocket off as I’m sure it would be some effort and not worth it unless I really had a reason to change sprockets.

they don't wear out or strip anything,its a very solid implementation.Way more solid than the traditional design.No maintenance needed ever.

the only downside is the limited amount of spline sprockets released

|

11/12/2020 9:26 AM

I don’t really trust them, but I haven’t run them so I can’t say much, but I’ll stick with my bolt-drive setup pretty much forever.

Plus, I can just take out my sprocket bolt for an instant freecoaster haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/12/2020 10:05 AM

Tightening a bolt properly isn’t hard work.

|

11/12/2020 10:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2020 10:59 AM

Have both, but prefer spline drive I could use either, been using sd for a really long time now and no problems. And that's with a Ti spindle too.

|

11/12/2020 11:01 AM

I have been very happy with my spline drive setup (profile) which I have been running for a few years with no issues.

|

26" Park Rat

11/12/2020 11:07 AM

Four wrote:

Rode the profile columns for a few years with a spline drive sprocket. Other than being annoying to put on at first they were nice never needed any maintenance. Went back to bolt drive and got tired of the bolts coming loose so I switched back to spline drive recently.

Ok yeah I’m going spline people keep saying they don’t hold up if you ride hard street

|

11/12/2020 11:09 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

azuli wrote:

they don't wear out or strip anything,its a very solid implementation.Way more solid than the traditional design.No maintenance needed ever.

the only downside is the limited amount of spline sprockets released

I don’t care about sprockets I don’t do stalls or anything

|

11/12/2020 11:10 AM

Appreciate the insight guys I’m going with sd and they are so nice lol

|

11/12/2020 2:06 PM

I love mine, I have columns, ran spine drive on my tibias, had it on some Madera cranks too. It’s awesome. No tight spots from the sprocket hole stretching over the years or a slightly loose fitting normal sprocket. Been on spline drive almost exclusively since like 2010

|

11/12/2020 2:10 PM

jboozer4 wrote:

I love mine, I have columns, ran spine drive on my tibias, had it on some Madera cranks too. It’s awesome. No tight spots from the sprocket hole stretching over the years or a slightly loose fitting normal sprocket. Been on spline drive almost exclusively since like 2010

Yeah I’m going for those in chrome also what sprocket do you run ? Or have you ran in the past ?

|

11/12/2020 5:33 PM

jboozer4 wrote:

Joe_Mackin 3 wrote:

Yeah I’m going for those in chrome also what sprocket do you run ? Or have you ran in the past ?

Ran a tree with the maderas from 2010 till 2015, then had a subrosa magnum with eclat tibias (not a spline drive sprocket) for a couple years, then a profile galaxy on the tibias, now I ride the columns with a galaxy sprocket. The galaxy is 7000 series aluminum which is a harder metal, makes it less susceptible to stretching where the splined insert is at and makes it harder to bend.

|

11/12/2020 5:37 PM

jboozer4 wrote:

Joe_Mackin 3 wrote:

jboozer4 wrote:

Ran a tree with the maderas from 2010 till 2015, then had a subrosa magnum with eclat tibias (not a spline drive sprocket) for a couple years, then a profile galaxy on the tibias, now I ride the columns with a galaxy sprocket. The galaxy is 7000 series aluminum which is a harder metal, makes it less susceptible to stretching where the splined insert is at and makes it harder to bend.

I’m into that one and the madera helm sprocket

|

11/12/2020 5:42 PM

Joe_Mackin 3 wrote:

jboozer4 wrote:

Joe_Mackin 3 wrote:

I’m into that one and the madera helm sprocket

Both are 7k aluminum, the profile sabre is also. It’s basically pick a style and color if you got it narrowed down to those two

|

11/13/2020 3:19 AM

I was on the profile no boss for some time and never had a problem with it. I've now been on a column for 2 years, they're stiff, feel solid , and I never had a problem with it.

Only thing that bothers me is that I'm on a deluxe 27t sprocket, and I want to buy a madera helm sprocket and go 28t.

But the 22mm/ 28t combination is sold out everywhere. Could you let me know if you find any shop/ online store that still has them?

Thanks!

|

11/13/2020 8:34 AM

tang-po wrote:

I was on the profile no boss for some time and never had a problem with it. I've now been on a column for 2 years, they're stiff, feel solid , and I never had a problem with it.

Only thing that bothers me is that I'm on a deluxe 27t sprocket, and I want to buy a madera helm sprocket and go 28t.

But the 22mm/ 28t combination is sold out everywhere. Could you let me know if you find any shop/ online store that still has them?

Thanks!

Try empire that’s where I got mine I’m sure they did have it I just went with 25 also they only want 29.99

|

11/13/2020 8:36 AM

tang-po wrote:

Thanks!

They only have 25 t available

|

11/13/2020 12:57 PM

Thanks for trying anyway! I've been all over the web for a 22/28 spline drive sprocket and I couldn't find any but the profile galaxy, which is not really my favorite (price/looks). I'll keep looking! 😊

|

11/13/2020 9:49 PM

tang-po wrote:

Thanks for trying anyway! I've been all over the web for a 22/28 spline drive sprocket and I couldn't find any but the profile galaxy, which is not really my favorite (price/looks). I'll keep looking! 😊

Yeah I feel like that’s way to much for that sprocket lol

|

11/14/2020 4:03 AM

tang-po wrote:

Circuit BMX has them in their online store. I used to shop there when I lived in CT, Vic is their owner he kicks ass. Chris Childs works there too he’s a good dude. Awesome shop. They have Sabre sprockets and galaxys available in 28t black 22mm spline drive, they also have a green DRG quadsaw in stock 28t 22mm spline drive which is a badass sprocket and also pretty unique. They’re legit I recommend ordering from them.

|

11/14/2020 5:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2020 5:22 AM

|

11/14/2020 5:35 AM

tang-po wrote:

jboozer4 wrote:

Circuit BMX has them in their online store. I used to shop there when I lived in CT, Vic is their owner he kicks ass. Chris Childs works there too he’s a good dude. Awesome shop. They have Sabre sprockets and galaxys available in 28t black 22mm spline drive, they also have a green DRG quadsaw in stock 28t 22mm spline drive which is a badass sprocket and also pretty unique. They’re legit I recommend ordering from them.

Thanks man, the galaxy and sabre are quite easy to find. As for the DGR spocket I'd never heard of it, but just like the galaxy I don't like how it looks (which, i'll admit, is totally secondary 😊). Thanks for your help anyway!

|