Spoke calculations.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/7/2017 7:42 AM

Is there a way I can work out the length of Spokes I need without using a calculator?

|

Hmmm

12/7/2017 7:56 AM

Use an online calculator? Or measure the old spokes if you're relacing a wheel

|

12/7/2017 9:15 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Use an online calculator? Or measure the old spokes if you're relacing a wheel

The rim I'm using doesn't seem to be on any calculators

|

Hmmm

12/7/2017 10:22 AM

What rim is it and have you tried the calculator on Wallerbmx?

You could measure the ERD yourself. Get 2 spokes of known lengths, thread them into nipples in opposing holes until the tip of the spokes are level with the inner wall of the rim, measure the distance between the spokes when they're pulled towards each other and add that to the the collective length of the spokes.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/7/2017 12:24 PM

Most rims and hubs use exactly the same length spokes, I've reused old spokes from mismatched rims, and never had a problem, even if they are longer or shorter, they always work.

|

12/7/2017 12:47 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Most rims and hubs use exactly the same length spokes, I've reused old spokes from mismatched rims, and never had a problem, ...more

So u for I buy some medium length Spokes they should work then?
Im going to try and find a rim with the same ERD and use that in a spoke calculator

|

Hmmm

12/7/2017 2:10 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Most rims and hubs use exactly the same length spokes, I've reused old spokes from mismatched rims, and never had a problem, ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Im going to try and find a rim with the same ERD and use that ...more

Don't do something so stupid, odds are you'll get the wrong size. What rim is it?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/7/2017 2:22 PM

OK so I found a calculator where I could use my hub and the ERD instead of just selecting the rim so I have found the right size Spokes. And it's the alienation mischief

|

Hmmm

12/7/2017 2:26 PM

The tubeless(TCS) rims?

What hub are you using?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/7/2017 2:56 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

The tubeless(TCS) rims?

What hub are you using?

Yes the TCS rims I don't think I'll be bothering with tubeless though. And lacing to an n4fl I'm fairly easy on wheels though so I'm confident that it will be strong enough.

|

Hmmm

12/7/2017 3:12 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Just find a rim that has almost the same height as yours. It would suck to get the wrong spokes and have them not work. I'm just saying it's not really as exact as everyone thinks. When I built up my g sport simian, the spoke calculate said I needed the same spoke length as my old hub, even the the simian had noticably bigger flanges, like a lot bigger than my old hub. I thought it wouldn't work, but they ft just fine. I think 184 will work with pretty much anything.

|

12/7/2017 3:17 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Just find a rim that has almost the same height as yours. It would suck to get the wrong spokes and have them not work. I'm ...more

It said I needed 192 but I believe that is. Because it's a flangeless hub

|

Hmmm

12/7/2017 3:57 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

The tubeless(TCS) rims?

What hub are you using?

Edman123 wrote:

Yes the TCS rims I don't think I'll be bothering with tubeless though. And lacing to an n4fl I'm fairly easy on wheels though ...more

That should be 192mm spokes.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

12/7/2017 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2017 4:11 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Just find a rim that has almost the same height as yours. It would suck to get the wrong spokes and have them not work. I'm ...more

Flange spacing and flange height are tradeoffs against each other a lot of the time. The Simian's flanges look bigger than they are.

I'd never reuse spokes, I built a wheel with some old spokes when I was bored a few years ago. Granted, the hub dimensions and the hole pattern on the rim were a good bit different to the original wheel but on the first half cab, I snapped 34 spokes, landing to both wheels.
Spokes bend to the shape of whatever they're first built to. If they're forced to bend back, they become very, very brittle and snap with very low impact. If you have to use old spokes, try to make sure everything is as similar as possible between components but you should always try to use new spokes for a wheel build.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson