Spoke noise

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2017 10:47 AM

Hey guys in my back tire the spokes have started to make noise and a few of them are easier to move than the others. Is this worth the worry? How can I fix it if it is?

|

3/5/2017 10:50 AM

Get a spoke wrench and tighten em up, sooner rather than later.

|

3/5/2017 10:51 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

How tight should they be?

|

3/5/2017 11:03 AM

moistureized wrote:

You should be able to flex them by a small amount when grabbing 2 parallel spokes but not much. Spoke material, butting, length and a few other things will change how much they should flex. You develop a 'feel' for it pretty quickly.

If you're not comfortable doing it just bring it to a bike shop.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/5/2017 12:11 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

moistureized wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

You should be able to flex them by a small amount when grabbing 2 parallel spokes but not much. Spoke material, butting, ...more

Is it really necessary? I've had a bunch of problems with this bike for some reas on, and I have only had it for 2 months.

|

3/5/2017 12:14 PM

moistureized wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

You should be able to flex them by a small amount when grabbing 2 parallel spokes but not much. Spoke material, butting, ...more

moistureized wrote:

Is it really necessary? I've had a bunch of problems with this bike for some reas on, and I have only had it for 2 months.

What kind of bike do you have?

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

3/5/2017 12:18 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

moistureized wrote:

GCBMX69 wrote:

What kind of bike do you have?

Wtp crysis 2017

|

3/5/2017 12:32 PM

Did you buy from a shop? Or online?
If you bought it from a shop, take it back, they should offer a service on new bikes after a bedding in period (usually 6 weeks).
Things like this are expected of new bikes. And yes, you need to tighten your spokes, otherwise you'll buckle your wheels easily

|

3/5/2017 4:07 PM

Yes, having tight spokes is very important. Don't be lazy. Just learn to do it yourself. Watch some YouTube vids.

|

3/5/2017 4:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2017 4:19 PM

You need to go through and tension up your spokes and the noise will stop along with straightening up your rim/wheel provided it's done correctly, if you can't do it yourself take it to your local and have them do it for you and ask if you can watch them do it and maybe even show you how it's done so then when the time comes you can do it for yourself. Nothing better then learning something new and being able to do it yourself, awesome feeling.

|

3/5/2017 7:25 PM

Spoke tension is definitely a top priority when talking about bike maintenance. Just to add to what's been said above, you should really not ride until your wheels are nice and true and tight. I failed to do so when I began BMX and my rear wheel was history within the first month simply because I didn't want to go through the hassle of tightening and truing.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/5/2017 8:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2017 8:38 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Spoke tension is definitely a top priority when talking about bike maintenance. Just to add to what's been said above, you ...more

Tight, yes. Out of true, you can usually get away with a small bit of a wobble. Get everything to roughly the same tension and do a little truing but there's no need to overdo it. Perfection is the arch-enemy of good enough.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/6/2017 4:35 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Spoke tension is definitely a top priority when talking about bike maintenance. Just to add to what's been said above, you ...more

Is it hard to true them? I have no clue how to do it and I do not want to mess it up

|

3/6/2017 5:04 PM

Really easy in my opinion but a lot of people find it hard for some reason. As long as all of the spokes are at roughly the same tension your wheel will be almost true. Only things you need are a spoke key of the right size and a cable tie. The black Parktools or X-Tools one will fit most nipples, don't bother with a 3 sided one as they're horrible to use.

Here's a few tutorials:

This one shows you how to use a cable tie and your frame as a truing stand

These show how to do the actual truing.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/wheel-and-rim-truing#article-section-5

Basically, you're just tightening the spokes to move the rim in whatever direction it needs to go. You don't need a perfectly true wheel but get it pretty close. It's something you'll improve at over time.
|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson