Spoke size calculator - nipple size factor?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/9/2017 5:43 PM

Hi guys, some spokes broken. So need new ones. Spoke calculator says I need 188mm ones. I see some products have 14mm nipple, some 16mm. Should it matter?

Any help is greatly appreciated

|

7/9/2017 5:55 PM

zzzxtreme wrote:

Hi guys, some spokes broken. So need new ones. Spoke calculator says I need 188mm ones. I see some products have 14mm nipple, ...more

take it to a bike shop. dont bother messing around yourself.

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

7/9/2017 5:58 PM

zzzxtreme wrote:

Hi guys, some spokes broken. So need new ones. Spoke calculator says I need 188mm ones. I see some products have 14mm nipple, ...more

alexnjbmx wrote:

Thanks alan. I won't be doing the installation lol. But I do need to order online. Shops in 3rd world country have very limited choices

|

7/9/2017 6:02 PM

zzzxtreme wrote:

alexnjbmx wrote:

zzzxtreme wrote:

Thanks alan. I won't be doing the installation lol. But I do need to order online. Shops in 3rd world country have very ...more

i would still recommend going to a shop and having them order or figure out what you need. they would know better. its hard to know what size you need when we dont know what wheel you have or any details. you could always email the company that makes the wheel and ask them.
sincerely,
alan

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

7/9/2017 6:19 PM

I used online spoke calculator to determine the sizes.
Front alien devient + bulimia
Rear khe big o + proper magnalite
The calculator tells me I need 188mm

What concerns me is, spokes also comes with different nipple sizes. 14mm 16mm etc... Should I be concerned about nipple size?

|

7/9/2017 8:57 PM

It should have no effect on anything. Those calculators measure to the inside wall of the rim, ignoring the nipples. Longer nipples will help if your spokes are too short but don't worry about it too much.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/9/2017 9:44 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

It should have no effect on anything. Those calculators measure to the inside wall of the rim, ignoring the nipples. Longer ...more

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated

|

7/9/2017 10:32 PM

Nipples come with spokes, so just use the ones that come with them

|