Spokes coming loose

Related:
Create New Tag

1/7/2020 7:10 PM

I notice after every day I put in doing 180s or trying 360s my spokes get loose, not tooo loose but not as tight as they where. Should I worry about it? I find myself tightening my spokes every 2 days

|

1/7/2020 7:43 PM

Inb4 the 48h guys tell you to buy a 7 pound wheelset

|

1/7/2020 7:45 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Inb4 the 48h guys tell you to buy a 7 pound wheelset

What lol

|

1/7/2020 8:22 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Inb4 the 48h guys tell you to buy a 7 pound wheelset

_bmxican_ wrote:

What lol

Lol, I wasn't being helpful. I was just saying that a few guys are going to come in here and tell you that you need an overbuilt wheelset. I think Eskimo knows what he is talking about, but for most people, a 48 hole wheelset is a bit over kill.

I would definitely suggest taking it to your LBS and having them true your rim. You may be getting it straight, but without the proper knowledge and experience, your tension probably wont be perfect

|

1/8/2020 7:38 AM

_bmxican_ wrote:

I notice after every day I put in doing 180s or trying 360s my spokes get loose, not tooo loose but not as tight as they where. Should I worry about it? I find myself tightening my spokes every 2 days

Spins put a ton of lateral force on your wheels. If you are messing up or not landing smooth it adds up quick.

When you true your wheel are most of the nips around the same tension, if not, it could be your wheel trying to balance itself out? Also, did you build the wheel yourself? Most people (including factory) dont grease their nipples/spokes when building. Greased nipples/spokes allow for the builder to more accurately gauge tension. Sometimes the friction is more or less depending on the surface of the rim holes, the surface of the nipple head/threads and the spoke threads.

Its a lot more tedious but I feel its worth it to get the wheel built solid.

|

1/8/2020 4:11 PM

_bmxican_ wrote:

I notice after every day I put in doing 180s or trying 360s my spokes get loose, not tooo loose but not as tight as they where. Should I worry about it? I find myself tightening my spokes every 2 days

Bulletpup wrote:

Spins put a ton of lateral force on your wheels. If you are messing up or not landing smooth it adds up quick.

When you true your wheel are most of the nips around the same tension, if not, it could be your wheel trying to balance itself out? Also, did you build the wheel yourself? Most people (including factory) dont grease their nipples/spokes when building. Greased nipples/spokes allow for the builder to more accurately gauge tension. Sometimes the friction is more or less depending on the surface of the rim holes, the surface of the nipple head/threads and the spoke threads.

Its a lot more tedious but I feel its worth it to get the wheel built solid.

For the most part all the spokes have the same tension, they just seem to get loose pretty quick and when I tighten them it’s easy to turn the spoke wrench (I only spin 1/4 at the time) until there little to no bed when I press spokes together in pairs. And the rims are pretty true too.

|

1/8/2020 5:39 PM

_bmxican_ wrote:

For the most part all the spokes have the same tension, they just seem to get loose pretty quick and when I tighten them it’s easy to turn the spoke wrench (I only spin 1/4 at the time) until there little to no bed when I press spokes together in pairs. And the rims are pretty true too.

Yeah, definitely take them to a shop and let someone with the know-how do it properly

|

1/9/2020 7:21 AM

Out of curiosity, what kind of wheelset do you have? Did you build them yourself or buy them complete?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

1/9/2020 12:38 PM

It's because you're doing 180's and 360's. Just tighten them every few sessions.

|

1/10/2020 6:50 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Out of curiosity, what kind of wheelset do you have? Did you build them yourself or buy them complete?

Buy them complete the odyssey v2 clutch wheel and the odyssey Vandero pro wheel

|