Spokes too long?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/22/2014 10:09 PM

So I'm getting a Gsport Ratchet hub soon to lace to my Gsport Rollcage rim and the spoke length is around 184mm but I'm running 186mm and I was wondering if that'd be too long that they'd literally stick out of the nipples by a whole mm. I do big sets and drops and that is just straight up sketchy even with like 2-3 rimstrips which is already dumb enough.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/22/2014 11:29 PM

I never worked on a Ratchet so can't say for sure, but if they do stick out a bit too much just clip the tips with wire clippers. Or just buy new spokes...

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

4/23/2014 8:22 PM

BMXism wrote:

I never worked on a Ratchet so can't say for sure, but if they do stick out a bit too much just clip the tips with wire ...more

I can't afford it after getting the hub, but I heard some people telling me to file them down or something but that seem like it'd take one entire day.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

4/23/2014 8:33 PM

clip them with side cutters then dremel down the sharp edge to the top of the nipple..

|

Refs: ecuadevil, superstarDK ,Brian_Griffin ,howlerfbm,ScramHype,Ricked_Em,BMXPOSER

text me for a faster response 2016681770

4/23/2014 9:36 PM

Aebasher wrote:

clip them with side cutters then dremel down the sharp edge to the top of the nipple..

Clip them with what? And what happens if there's not that much threads left? And plus, there's 36 spokes and this just seems so ghetto..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

4/23/2014 9:51 PM

Aebasher wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Clip them with what? And what happens if there's not that much threads left? And plus, there's 36 spokes and this just seems ...more

these are side cutters aka dikes if your a electrician like myself..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-8-in-High-Leverage-Diagonal-Cutting-Pliers-D228-8/100020319

in all honesty if you are worried about it being ghetto just save some $ and get some spokes the correct size...

|

Refs: ecuadevil, superstarDK ,Brian_Griffin ,howlerfbm,ScramHype,Ricked_Em,BMXPOSER

text me for a faster response 2016681770

4/24/2014 12:42 AM

spokes are 10 bucks for a full set if i recall correctly itll all depend on your local bike shop. try there first.

|

you can call me Paulo...
Flickr
*Vital's official Filipino!*

4/24/2014 7:11 AM

I recently got a new rim that required 184mm spokes with my Ratchet, I just reused my 186mm that I already had and it works fine. You can see the top of the spoke but it doesn't hang out at all so its all good.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/24/2014 11:57 AM

Try to do it, worst that can happend is to destroy one tube.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/24/2014 12:05 PM

T-rider wrote:

Try to do it, worst that can happend is to destroy one tube.

No even. If the spoke hangs out then thats a dead give away to not even use it. That being said, I accidentally laced my wheel 2x before I knew how to lace properly so almost all my spokes hung out of the nipple severely. I filed them down best I could without unlacing and wrapped it withTWO of the adhesive kevlar rim strips and two regular rubber ones. Never had any issues.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

4/24/2014 12:14 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I recently got a new rim that required 184mm spokes with my Ratchet, I just reused my 186mm that I already had and it works ...more

How much does it hang out? barely?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

4/24/2014 12:17 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I recently got a new rim that required 184mm spokes with my Ratchet, I just reused my 186mm that I already had and it works ...more

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

How much does it hang out? barely?

Not at all. You can see the top of the spoke but it doesn't protrude the nipple threads.

|