Spokes too long? Filing them down?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/12/2013 10:41 PM

Would filing them down affect the threads? I wouldn't want to strip any nipples and unnecessary stuff..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/12/2013 10:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2013 11:02 PM

I've had to cut a few of mine down when the tips stick out too much inside the rim. It's ok as long as there's at least half of the threads left, enough for the nipples to grab. Just make sure there aren't any ugly chunks of metal before screwing on the nipples, that could strip them out pretty bad.(gotta be a clean job) I don't recommend this if you need to do it on the entire wheel though.

They sell re-threading tools for spokes too.. But I don't think they carry that stuff on any BMX mail orders. I have a set for other purposes, it works long as you have the right gauge.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

11/12/2013 11:02 PM

BMXism wrote:

I've had to cut a few of mine down when the tips stick out too much inside the rim. It's ok as long as there's at least half of the threads left, enough for the nipples to grab. Just make sure there aren't any ugly chunks of metal before screwing on the nipples, that could strip them out pretty bad.(gotta be a clean job) I don't recommend this if you need to do it on the entire wheel though.

They sell re-threading tools for spokes too.. But I don't think they carry that stuff on any BMX mail orders. I have a set for other purposes, it works long as you have the right gauge.

I need to do it on maybe 5 spokes at most. If I snap more, more filing to come. I have a Ross tire in the rear on a Gsport Rollcage and that thing is A BITCH to put on and take off. I bent all of my plastic tire levers already.. They're gonna snap soon..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

11/12/2013 11:06 PM

I'd go for it then. I just clip mine with a pair of wire cutters then file down any inconsistencies after.. faster that way.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

11/12/2013 11:16 PM

BMXism wrote:

I'd go for it then. I just clip mine with a pair of wire cutters then file down any inconsistencies after.. faster that way.

My wire cutters aren't that sharp I think. I might just file down a spare spoke and see how that turns out. I won't be riding my bike for at least a whole day. I still really want a new set of spokes for sure.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

11/13/2013 3:58 AM

Lace with them the knock them down with an angel grinder or dremel once you are done

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

11/13/2013 5:33 AM

BMXism wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

My wire cutters aren't that sharp I think. I might just file down a spare spoke and see how that turns out. I won't be riding my bike for at least a whole day. I still really want a new set of spokes for sure.

36 new spokes will be like 15-20 bucks. I would save up and get the length you need, at least a handful of them.

Next part order, buy like 10 spokes.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura