Sponsorship: Bikes or Cash?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/14/2018 7:53 AM

So it's no secret that Stranger doesn't pay all their "pro" riders with money, the "Pro" riders are apparently paid in Bikes/parts when ever they like.

Questions is, would you take a sponsorship that only paid you in Bikes? You'd still need to hold down some kind of job- but that income wouldn't go towards bike upkeep, Is it worth it to always have a fresh bike? Or would you end up like John Hicks with 10 bikes that have similar Geo you don't ride?

Personally the whole point of "Pro" sponsorship was that you made it!- You get paid to ride your bike. It confused me at first because I figured the riders in question were Amateur riders or Flo riders, but it seems like Stranger is doing a good job accumulating decent riders doing this.

|

5/14/2018 8:15 AM

John hicks gets more money than stranger could afford to pay him with all of the views he gets from kids wanting one of the free bikes he gives away.

also fuck stranger.

|

Hmmm

5/14/2018 8:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/14/2018 8:49 AM

Edman123 wrote:

John hicks gets more money than stranger could afford to pay him with all of the views he gets from kids wanting one of the ...more

Well You could go that route- get free bikes and just use the sponsorship as a springboard for Youtube Vlog money.

I'm not a Stranger fan or a fan of this system, if that matters.

|

5/14/2018 8:48 AM

A sponsorship is a salesman's job and should be a paid.

|

5/14/2018 12:06 PM

Neither , I want to be paid in liquor and whores

|

5/14/2018 12:09 PM

eskimojay wrote:

this guy gets it

|

It’s all bmx

5/14/2018 12:21 PM

eskimojay wrote:

nods in approval
|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/14/2018 12:28 PM

Most pro's don't make enough money to not have some other job. Even pros that have parts with their name on them.

I've known a LOT of pro riders over the 30+ years i've been involved in bmx freestyle.

How much money do you think pros get from each frame sold that has their name on it? (it's not much...)

and lets be honest, being a pro bmx freestyle rider isn't really a career choice. :/

|

5/14/2018 12:33 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Photo
|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/14/2018 12:33 PM

i wonder if any brands have benefits like a travel budget and health insurance

|

Hmmm

5/14/2018 1:04 PM

Edman123 wrote:

i wonder if any brands have benefits like a travel budget and health insurance

YES! I have also wondered this as well...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/14/2018 1:09 PM

Cash, grass or ass.

|

5/14/2018 1:12 PM

the only way to honestly make money being a "pro" is to do shows and enter big name contests. otherwise you'll need another source of income. Terry Adams is involved in real estate, Aaron Ross owns a restaurant, to name some big time rider examples.

|

It’s all bmx

5/14/2018 2:22 PM

I'd be willing to bet that the employees of most bmx companies don't get insurance or 401K options.

|

5/14/2018 8:04 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

the only way to honestly make money being a "pro" is to do shows and enter big name contests. otherwise you'll need another ...more

Not entirely true. Guys like Enarson, Kerley, Nyquist, Martin, Peraza, Dhers, etc all make a livable wage from sponsors alone. Contest winnings are really just bonuses.

Aaron and Terry finance their businesses with money they make / made in BMX, not the other way around.

|

5/14/2018 11:14 PM

I’d be cool with whatever , if you’re in BMX you should know you’re not gonna be buying 80 000$ cars or owning expensive shit unless you’re that 0.5% like Garrett and Chad as mentioned .

At the same time if I got a paycheque with enough to pay rent and get decent food and commodities , while getting a bunch of vans clothing , shoes , a new bike and being able to travel every so often , I’d be the happiest guy alive

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/15/2018 1:18 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I’d be cool with whatever , if you’re in BMX you should know you’re not gonna be buying 80 000$ cars or owning expensive shit ...more

I'll second you on this.

This is absolute paradise.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/15/2018 2:24 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I’d be cool with whatever , if you’re in BMX you should know you’re not gonna be buying 80 000$ cars or owning expensive shit ...more

The dream!

Unfortunately, very few guys are able to make even that happen these days.

|

5/16/2018 6:26 AM

It used to be, get on Haro and you're golden and probably about to get a video game. Then it was shoe deals were the money move. Then it was Energy Drinks sending you around.

Now its about having amazing social media engagement. No need to make TV commercials for bagel bites when you can have 10 people reaching 10x more targeted consumers for 1/10th the cost.

|

5/16/2018 9:01 AM

It used to be a job you could get decently paid for by a brand or two, and any extras were bonus. Now there are SO MANY "pros" that they cannot afford to pay a few riders decently, and kids take free stuff as payment.

The industry did it to itself-people willing to ride for less and less until it comes down to free parts, maybe a trip a year and the "title".

Personally I would need the parts AND some kind of pay. If you expect me to be out riding constantly and clocking footage, when am I supposed to work to afford anything else? I am effectively a sales rep for you, you need to make my time worthwhile. A bike is about a grand on average for a solid setup-so you take a bike every few months for pay? at that rate you make maybe 4-5 grand in product a year. Factor clothing, and they are out maybe 10 grand a year retail on you (cost would be like 4K of that). You screw yourself over technically. You gotta eat, find a place to live, cover basic essentials and so on. Sure you can do that cheaply, but it isn't necessarily a great lifestyle.

Yes, I would ride for free anyway, but if I am repping you and your brand, make it worth it.

A rumor I heard was back in the day before they went to crap, GT Required their riders to log their ride time to be paid-not sure how it was verified though.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/16/2018 11:10 AM

people have ALWAYS ridden for parts and clothes and stickers.

Armature vs. Pro.

|

5/16/2018 5:27 PM

I'd take cash over parts just cause how often do you really need a new complete bike or even certain parts. Sure it would be cool from a collection stand point, but without other sources of income your not gonna make much. Even if you tried to sell said bikes and parts we all know that depreciation is a bitch in the industry. All those bikes hicks has wouldn't sell for half what their worth.

I'd take a by hour pay for any filming done or even a bundle every now and then with merch and a selection of my choice of parts.

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

5/16/2018 5:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/16/2018 5:42 PM

How much do y'all want to bet that in a couple years basically all of John Hicks' subscribers will have one of his bikes with how much he gives away

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

5/19/2018 11:41 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

So it's no secret that Stranger doesn't pay all their "pro" riders with money, the "Pro" riders are apparently paid in ...more

A bike company might be your main sponsor, but don’t forget about about all the side sponsors you might get, that where a part of you income is going to come from. But mostly it will be from riding contests, and trying to place to represent your brand. There is a lot more that goes into it then just a bike company sponsor.

|

5/19/2018 11:47 AM

Riding should never be a primary career choice, all the perks that come with riding to have fun should be just a bonus.

|

5/20/2018 11:49 AM

DatJiggyNiggy wrote:

I'd take cash over parts just cause how often do you really need a new complete bike or even certain parts. Sure it would be ...more

In the history of BMX, nobody has ever been paid hourly to film clips.

|

5/20/2018 12:18 PM

DatJiggyNiggy wrote:

I'd take cash over parts just cause how often do you really need a new complete bike or even certain parts. Sure it would be ...more

kylecarlson wrote:

In the history of BMX, nobody has ever been paid hourly to film clips.

That would be quite the incentive to not land shit first try laughing

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/20/2018 1:18 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

That would be quite the incentive to not land shit first try laughing

Hahahahaha!

|