Springfield spring broke

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2020 6:46 AM

Hey... I see odyssey sells replacement springs for $1.00 but it's $9.82 for shipping! Also, don't understand why it broke in the first place. Seen here wedged to keep the pads off the rim for the ride home but the hook on one end just snapped off. Any other sources for replacing the spring? Any heavy duty hacks? Photo

|

5/15/2020 6:49 AM

Go to a hardware store

|

fack off

5/15/2020 7:27 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Go to a hardware store

Good idea, didn't think of that. So... just find any stainless spring that is about the same size?

|

5/15/2020 7:30 AM

If the spring is too much the brakes wont pull smooth keep that in mind.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

5/15/2020 9:54 AM

$10 shipping? maybe call the online store if thats the only thing u need and see what they can do.

|

5/15/2020 10:32 AM

rubber bands work really well. you can add more or less to add tension...

|

5/15/2020 11:53 AM

pnj wrote:

Cool...thanks! can you share a pic? Not sure how to hook them up...

|

5/15/2020 3:00 PM

I would just get some pliers and pull out a loop or two of the remaining spring and fashion it into a hook/loop suitable for attachment as before. Unless a chunk of the spring broke I would think that should work fine.

|

5/15/2020 4:26 PM

This is why I never recommend these. Individually sprung is so much better in every way.

|

5/15/2020 7:58 PM

I read awhile back when I bought them that a spring from a pen might work

|

5/16/2020 6:50 AM

pnj wrote:

Roberto_Jordan wrote:

I didn't see anything on google pics so maybe i'll try and set them up myself and take a pic but it's pretty simple. just loop the rubber bands across where the brake cable bits go into the brake arms. it should make sense once you start messing with it. you can add a bunch of rubber bands to increase tension or use less for less tension..

|

5/16/2020 8:07 AM

younggotti wrote:

I read awhile back when I bought them that a spring from a pen might work

That would be a beefy pen spring... doesn't sound right to me...

|

5/16/2020 8:09 AM

pnj wrote:

Roberto_Jordan wrote:

pnj wrote:

I didn't see anything on google pics so maybe i'll try and set them up myself and take a pic but it's pretty simple. just loop the rubber bands across where the brake cable bits go into the brake arms. it should make sense once you start messing with it. you can add a bunch of rubber bands to increase tension or use less for less tension..

Yes...figured it out. Worked ok but not as crisp and wasn't loving the look of it either. Photo

|

5/16/2020 8:16 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Go to a hardware store

So... rubberbands were phase1, Home Depot spring is phase 2. Probably as good as the original and $4. Photo

|

5/16/2020 8:29 AM

the rubber bands should go in the same angle as the spring. but if your way works that's cool too. smile

|

5/16/2020 9:47 AM

pnj wrote:

the rubber bands should go in the same angle as the spring. but if your way works that's cool too. smile

Yeah... there wasn't anything for the rubberbands to grab onto where the spring attaches. This worked ok.

|

5/16/2020 11:37 AM

not where the spring attaches. where the cable fits into the brake arms.... smile

|

5/16/2020 4:29 PM

pnj wrote:

not where the spring attaches. where the cable fits into the brake arms.... smile

Tried that, but it pulls the pads to the rim, the opposite of what's needed.

|

5/17/2020 7:42 AM

South Park > Springfield

|

5/17/2020 2:27 PM

eskimojay wrote:

South Park > Springfield

I'm old enough to remember The Simpsons' first season, so I'm a little sentimental about Springfield... but if I only had 30 minutes to watch TV, I'd pick South Park too.

|