Sprocket design, input?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2009 12:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 10:27 PM

Hey guys, I was dicking around with solidworks this weekend and came up with a sprocket design. I realize it's a 33 tooth (i think haha) but it's the idea, so if you're a small drive lover (like me) it could be adapted easily. Give me your thoughts.

EDIT: Revised edition is first, first edition is second.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

10/19/2009 12:50 AM

IS it multileveled? I think it looks pretty dope.

|

FTW!

I'm cooler than a polar bear's toes.

10/19/2009 12:55 AM

yeah of course. the skinnier supports are set back a millimeter and a half from the main supports. Also, there is a lip on each side near the teeth that the chain basically rides on along with the teeth. And the big slots and bolt holes are beveled (except inside the hole where the bolt goes) to give it more character.

|

10/19/2009 12:57 AM

the bolt holes are too thin they will snap

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

10/19/2009 1:01 AM

actually they're not. If you look at sprockets like the demolition F1 and the S&M little man, the bolt holes are just the same. besides, the "thin" part that you're talking about I assume is above and below the hole, not to the left or right of it, which doesn't matter because all the force being applied in that area is tangential to the center of the sprocket. In other words, there is no force being applied directly to the spots that are "thin". I'm an engineering student, so don't worry about the structural integrity smile

|

10/19/2009 1:04 AM

that is sick u should try and get a c&c machine or watever those are called and make a prototype

|

10/19/2009 1:18 AM

I'm just going to see if there's enough interest in the bmx community for some parts I design and if there is, I'm going to get a list put together and have some things made. Hopefully I can start a company. that's my ultimate goal. I'm looking to have some stems, pedals, hubs, and bars designed within the next month or two. We'll see.

|

10/19/2009 1:28 AM

It doesn't matter if the hole is structurally sound the fact of the matter is when you put something that thin into a working environment just normal wear and tear can rip through aluminum. Especially on the crank arm bolt which, in bmx freestyle atleast, puts force at a horizontal direction so even if the force is tangent to the spindle hole, its still going to be twisted off.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

10/19/2009 1:47 AM

Again, please reference Demolition's F1 sprocket, S&M little man and tuff man sprocket, and Eastern's Medusa sprocket. All successful designs (some may argue but please not here). But here is a variation that may appease you:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

10/19/2009 1:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2009 2:03 AM

i like that better

although the main definition behind most of the sprockets you mentioned is a wider beam enclosing the hole not a elongated hole with a defined bolt space inside that i would just remove the circular hole entirely and just leave the main elongated one. then again i'm an architecture student so anything i make might end up completely structurally unsound so i leave the making of machine parts to engineers and industrial designers. its a very cool design and i wouldn't mind riding it myself.

|

Bike check?

10/19/2009 1:53 AM

Thanks man. I think I understand what you're saying now and it does make sense to a degree. I believe the above design takes care of that issue. Thanks for the input.

|

10/19/2009 2:01 AM

you is welcome i always enjoy giving healthy design input over the inter webs at five o clock in the mornings.

|

Bike check?

10/19/2009 12:51 PM

i want to do that some time, i just need some spare time... looks sick tho

|

Burn Lexington
Scarlett O'Hara

BIKE CHECK!
SECOND BIKE CHECK!
REFs....
blake el gingero, bsticks, bmx24, irideafly(x2), bigbarsbeard, hcpmicheal(x2), carjakester, 3514eclat, iridebikes07, throwafit, lee_rager, bwenger, aw1234512, kwescottbmx, ecuadevil, ScramHype, dakiddjai93, Spikes5(x3), ultrablade, BEASTASSDICK(x2)

10/19/2009 1:00 PM

I think the OG design was really good. Start designing stems and maybe bars and forks. :D

|

FTW!

I'm cooler than a polar bear's toes.

10/19/2009 1:03 PM

kinda looks like stolens new sprocket

|

10/19/2009 1:04 PM

That looks pretty sick dude.. And you live in AZ as well as I do haha..

|

Check out BMX Videos, Pictures, How to's and more at: www.BMXAllDay.com

Join our BMX Forum

10/19/2009 3:45 PM

bluerockit wrote:

Again, please reference Demolition's F1 sprocket, S&M little man and tuff man sprocket, and Eastern's Medusa sprocket. All ...more

I would still thicken it up some, the medusa is prone to twisting/breaking. I managed to pedal too hard and break a Standard sprocket that was thicker. (but that's me)

Maybe see if you can make like 5 of em somewhere for testing, and see how they hold up to all aspects of freestyle riding, test with a freecoaster, cassette/no brakes, cassette/brakes, trails, park, street etc.

I suggest the coaster, and brakes/no brakes due to the different styles of riding, and stress to the drivetrain being different (I would say based on my experience with all of those styles of riding, brakeless with a cassette took the largest toll on my drivetrain, with all the force from high speed 180's and tire taps using pedal pressure etc.) I would definitely purchase one of these, as they look sick!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/19/2009 4:27 PM

joemama wrote:

that is sick u should try and get a c&c machine or watever those are called and make a prototype

its a CNC

and yeah looks sick

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207

First MOTM 12/2010

10/19/2009 4:33 PM

i actually would buy one of these :D hey if you do make a company and it ships to ca, holla at me and id buy one

|

Stolen Bike.
kohlnv09 wrote: they have guns and knifes
HyPhy wrote: sounds like you should have just let them keep your bike then eh?

10/19/2009 5:03 PM

stolen mood ring i beleive

|

don't put your finger anywhere you wouldn't put your dick
cell# 518 682. 718.0.(only for parts)
refs
i ride fly, devyn, hattrckhcky, spikez5, blackout2010, 3514eclat, mikelee, brecher, TCbmx

10/19/2009 5:05 PM

|

don't put your finger anywhere you wouldn't put your dick
cell# 518 682. 718.0.(only for parts)
refs
i ride fly, devyn, hattrckhcky, spikez5, blackout2010, 3514eclat, mikelee, brecher, TCbmx

10/19/2009 5:07 PM

millsaps wrote:

stolen mood ring i beleive

Similar, but not the same.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/19/2009 5:14 PM

|

10/19/2009 5:18 PM

Thanks guys for the kind words. Believe it or not, I didn't even think about the mood ring when designing this sprocket. The only sprocket I did think about directly was Odyssey's Vermont which was pretty popular when it first came out.

Like I said, I'm planning on designing a stem, some pedals, possibly a hub and maybe some innovative cranks in the near future and I'm going to see how many people show interest. If I can get enough of a buzz started, I'd like to try to jump start a company from it. So keep your eyes peeled.

Again, thanks for all the kind words. For all you haters, go download solidworks and attempt to design your own smile

|

9/23/2011 1:23 PM

hello

|

9/23/2011 2:29 PM

bluerockit wrote:

Again, please reference Demolition's F1 sprocket, S&M little man and tuff man sprocket, and Eastern's Medusa sprocket. All ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

I would still thicken it up some, the medusa is prone to twisting/breaking. I managed to pedal too hard and break a Standard ...more

this and also try it with different ratios.

|

IN NOMINE SATANUS

9/23/2011 2:32 PM

Cameron_Maule wrote:

hello

you fucking queer, i just realized this is from 09. go fuck urself

|

IN NOMINE SATANUS

9/23/2011 4:30 PM

LOL

|

10/4/2011 9:53 PM