Sprocket mounting Question

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2017 6:25 PM

I've noticed many sprockets just slide over the round spindle, and have no keyway or anchoring device to the spindle. They simply bolt to the crank arm, right??? That bolt is all that's bearing the weight of all the torque put onto the crank? That's it?

Are there any spindle/sprocket designs that that attaches the sprocket to the crank in a more secure way?

|

11/29/2017 6:35 PM

You have a bolt drive sprocket so the only thing holding down the touque when you pedal is that bolt... but you'll be fine there's nothing to worry about... but if you want something that attaches to the spindle splines then get a spline drive sprocket... the splines on the sprocket will match up with the splines on the spindle and you won't need that little bolt holding the sprocket to the crank arm... I used to have a bolt drive sprocket now I have a spline drive one and I can tell yiu one thing.... I dont think I'll ever go back to bolt drive...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/29/2017 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2017 8:02 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You have a bolt drive sprocket so the only thing holding down the touque when you pedal is that bolt... but you'll be fine ...more

I bought a new Sealed American BB set up, and bought a new 19mm spindle. But i got the 8 spline sad

This is what I should have bought.... Definitely seems like the way to go!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202117542649

|

11/29/2017 8:06 PM

Barillms wrote:

I've noticed many sprockets just slide over the round spindle, and have no keyway or anchoring device to the spindle. They ...more

Honestly, that one bolt is stronger than those aluminum splines. & the bolt method (or similar) has been used since the dawn of the bicycle. There's no reason to fear anything bad happening without a splined sprocket.

|

11/29/2017 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2017 8:24 PM

A 19mm 48 spline spindle would be chromoly and probably heat treated for hardness. Couldn't you get a steel sprocket? That would be a ROCK SOLID set up. Even aluminum would be super strong. 4x4 axles are driven by splines turning huge 43" tires pushed by 700HP. I think they would hold up to my legs lol

Better than a side loaded 10mm bolt.

|

11/29/2017 8:35 PM

Have you had issues with snapping the 10mm bolts?

|

11/29/2017 10:34 PM

Yes, chromoly spline drive sprockets exist. Also, most alloy spline drive sprockets have a steel insert that has the splines on. But, as I recently mentioned in another thread, if you knock the sprocket enough to warp it slightly, the sprocket will rock on the insert.

Unless you buy a really wafty sprocket, bolt drive will be fine. I personally have never had an issue with bolt drive. And I'm sure the vast majority of riders haven't either

|

11/30/2017 6:36 AM

Never had anything other than bolt drive and I have never had any issues.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/30/2017 6:56 AM

In my honest opinion, I'd rather deal with a stuck/rounded/snapped bolt in a crank arm than rounded splines.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.