Sprocket problem

Related:
Create New Tag

12/3/2014 7:32 AM

Well ok this is gonna be kinda hard to explain well I have this sprocket it's not bent and I keep breaking chains Ive broke like 3 in 2 weeks and when I spin the crank I see that the sproket moves side to side when it's not bent and I have a stupid question what's chain stay mean and yeah I took it ok looked at it perfectly fine laid it on a flat surface it's not bent

|

12/3/2014 7:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2014 7:41 AM

Chainstay is the bottom of the rear triangle, bad diagram but you get the idea.
Photo

Odds are Either your sprocket is too tight, Its bent, or you don't have a sprocket adapter in between the sprocket and spindle
This is what the adapter looks like
https://www.danscomp.com/products/457004/Sprocket_Adapter.html

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

12/3/2014 7:40 AM

Chain stay is the rear end of the frame. Sounds like you dont have the correct spacer in your sprocket or you are tightening it all the way before putting the cranks back together. That causes bad chain alignment.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/3/2014 7:44 AM

Well it's the right spacer for the sprocket and spindle and I don't tighten it all the way and so you mean how far the sprocket goes out and levels with the hub sprocket I think I'm really confused sry I just need help I don't wanna keep breaking chains

|

12/3/2014 7:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2014 7:50 AM

Zxzbmxteam wrote:

Well it's the right spacer for the sprocket and spindle and I don't tighten it all the way and so you mean how far the ...more

If its moving side to side then it has to be one of those unless your spindle is moving in the bb.

Yes, if the sprocket chain alignment isn't straight you will also break chains, you may have too many or not enough spacers between the sprocket and frame, when you pedal does it make any funny noises? If so do they stay constant or get louder at a certain point?

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

12/3/2014 8:01 AM

Remove drive side crank, sprocket, and bottom bracket cone(the thinner one).
Install, without tightening any bolts, in this order- BB driveside cone, sprocket adapter, sprocket, crank arm. There should be NO spacers on this side.
Make sure your adapter is snug on your spindle and snug in your sprocket.
Tighten spindle bolt fully.
Tighten sprocket bolt.
Tighten chain to where it has at least 1/8" of wiggle room and no more than 1/2".

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/3/2014 8:39 AM

Thanks hard bmx and yes it makes noises

|

12/3/2014 8:42 AM

Also, i wouldn't run a ratio over 3.5, and even thats pushing it. I once put together a 36/9 with a brand new chain and the chain busted before i got to the end of my street. You can calculate your ratio by dividing your sprocket tooth count by your driver tooth count.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/3/2014 9:57 AM

Yeah I have to bikes well the bike that's having chain problems has a ratio of 23 and 9 in back

|

12/3/2014 10:46 AM

I meant two ahah

|