Sprocket problem

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2020 9:35 AM

I bought a brand new sprocket to change my 25t to a 28t. It’s a kink bedlam. I am installing it on my odyssey wombolt cranks.

Anyway I pressed the sprocket onto the crank and when I tighten the bolt that goes through the sprocket it makes the sprocket bend a bit. If I finger tighten the screw the sprocket is perfectly straight. I want to say it bends it about a 1/16”.

I double checked to make sure the sprocket is on all the way and it is. I haven’t checked to see if the old sprocket is the same way. I’m sure I can run it this way but I don’t like it.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Also bonus question. How close do you run your sprocket to the chainstay? I have the teeth of my sprocket about a 1/8 from the chainstay. Too far? Too close?

|

5/26/2020 11:45 AM

Are you running an adapter? Is it on the correct side?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/26/2020 11:56 AM

Leave the sprocket bolt loose and tighten it last (i.e after tightening the cranks).

Double check and make sure the sprocket is 100% seated on the spindle. I had to drop my Thunderbolts/ sprocket into a vice and hit the crank arm, so that the sprocket was seated all of the way.

Here's a video showing the above:

Also, 1/8" gap in between the sprocket/ CS is gtg... I have about half of that and my sprocket has never touched my frame.

|

5/26/2020 12:11 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Are you running an adapter? Is it on the correct side?

No adapter

|

5/26/2020 12:13 PM

I’m pretty sure it’s seated all the way looks like it’s touching evenly all the way around. I might try to do that though. I’ll have to make something I don’t have a vice.

|

5/26/2020 12:32 PM

brettdotcom14 wrote:

I’m pretty sure it’s seated all the way looks like it’s touching evenly all the way around. I might try to do that though. I’ll have to make something I don’t have a vice.

I've used two (2) metal chairs, before... lol

Basically, you put both chair arms side by side, then leave enough space in the middle for the spindle to slide through. Put some cardboard, or a rag on the chair arms, so you don't scratch them, or your cranks. Then do as seen on the video.

Ghetto, but it works:
Photo

|

5/26/2020 6:53 PM

I always smack in a circle near where the sprocket sits with a rubber mallet till it feels solid. You could also put it on your bike without the bolt and without the other crank arm and give it a couple big ol whacks against the bearing. It should seat the sprocket evenly.

|