Sprocket sizes

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2016 8:31 AM

Hi guys,
I'm new at BMX and am trying to understand something: if the gear ratios among race and freestyle BMX bikes is roughly the same, then why do race bikes use larges sprocket and cassette ?
I understand freestyle bikes use smaller ones for better ground clearance, but if the ratios are the same, shouldn't race bikes use small sprocket as well, to save weight ?

Thanks.
Eugene

|

4/30/2016 8:51 AM

Race uses chsinrings and cranks with a spider to mount the ring to. Saves weight and keeps it lined up better, cheaper to replace the ring, can be changed without removing the cranks arm. And there's a lesser chance you smack it so clearance isn't as big an issue.

|

4/30/2016 9:16 AM

It also reduces wear significantly

|

4/30/2016 9:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2016 9:48 AM

The bigger your front sprocket the farther it will get you per crank , more teeth to go through in one crank the farther the distance you get out of it , that's why race bikes don't have small sprockets

|

4/30/2016 12:13 PM

^ yea, a bigger sprocket gives less torque and more speed. With freestyle, a smaller sprocket is good for easier acceleration, pedal pressure control, and more clearance.

Race bikes use freewheels in the rear to save weight. Freewheels can't be smaller than 13t, while cassettes and free-coasters can be as small as 8t, therefore race bikes need bigger sprockets to run the same ratio if you where wanted to do so :v. Photo

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

5/1/2016 5:28 AM

Thanks!

|