Sprocket top hat washer play

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2018 10:40 AM

Hi,
I just got a new sprocket (Stolen cartwheel). I noticed the top hat washer doesn't fit tight into the sprocket, there's just under a mm play between the sprocket and the washer. So when it's on and I turn the sprocket the chain goes from tight to loose, at the same point in every revolution.

Should there be play between the washer and the sprocket like this?

|

3/11/2018 10:47 AM

It should be a tight fit. 23.9mm is the standard centre bore size. It would be odd for them to make a sprocket with a bigger centre bore, so I'd assume your old sprocket and the top hat washer are non standard

|

3/11/2018 11:03 AM

Thanks. The top hat washer is new, came with the sprocket. In fact I tried another new one that came with a sealed bottom bracket conversion kit as well, both had the same amount of play. So it must be the centre hole in the sprocket is too big right? Do you think it would make that much difference to the chain tension?

|

3/11/2018 11:12 AM

Disco Dave wrote:

Thanks. The top hat washer is new, came with the sprocket. In fact I tried another new one that came with a sealed bottom ...more

Wow! I'd try to get a refund for the sprocket to be honest. It'll move all over the place and cause damage to itself, and could potentially damage other parts

|

3/11/2018 11:22 AM

Ok thanks I'll send it back. I'll probably get this Haro one then:
https://www.woodcockcycle.com/product/haro-lite-sprocket-5920.htm#.WqVzV4HfWaM
Shouldn't be any problem with that right?

|

3/11/2018 12:24 PM

Disco Dave wrote:

...more

What size is your axle? The haro one is bored for 22mm, but doesn't say if it comes with an adapter for 19mm. 22mm to 19mm top hat washers are hard to come by. If you've got a 22mm axle it'll be good to go

|

3/11/2018 1:03 PM

Disco Dave wrote:

...more

grumpySteve wrote:

What size is your axle? The haro one is bored for 22mm, but doesn't say if it comes with an adapter for 19mm. 22mm to 19mm top ...more

Danscomp has 22mm to 19mm adapters for like $3. Most other mail-orders/shops should have them stocked as well.

They're actually pretty common, considering just 5 or so years ago, 90%+ of sprockets were 22mm bore and came with 19mm adapters.

It wasn't until both Odyssey came out with their 15/16" interface & Fit came out with the 24mm (15/16") Indents that companies started using 15/16" as the standard for sprocket bore. Before that, most companies used 22mm.

@OP, if you really like the sprocket you just bought, contact the brand directly about the issue and they should have no issue replacing it with a new one. Unfortunately stuff happens & parts get manufactured wrong from time to time, that doesn't mean every one of those sprockets are that way though. I wish you the best of luck with getting it sorted!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/11/2018 1:25 PM

Disco Dave wrote:

...more

grumpySteve wrote:

What size is your axle? The haro one is bored for 22mm, but doesn't say if it comes with an adapter for 19mm. 22mm to 19mm top ...more

My axle's 19mm. Think you're right the hat washers I have are 15/16" to 19mm and 15/16" to 22mm. Think I've decided I want a 28t now anyway so can't get the Haro one.

|

3/11/2018 1:31 PM

Disco Dave wrote:

...more

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Danscomp has 22mm to 19mm adapters for like $3. Most other mail-orders/shops should have them stocked as well.

They're ...more

I do really like the Stolen Cartwheel sprocket, at least for the price and it's supposed to be a reasonably reputable company. Can't decide what to do now, it's not easy to find a silver 28t sprocket at that price. They do the cartwheel in 28t as well but if I get another will probably have the same problem won't it?

|

3/11/2018 1:33 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

They're ...more

Disco Dave wrote:

I do really like the Stolen Cartwheel sprocket, at least for the price and it's supposed to be a reasonably reputable company. ...more

If you contact Stolen directly about the issue, I really doubt they would send you another one with the same issue.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

3/11/2018 1:41 PM

Every sprocket I've ever had has been 23.9mm centre bore. Apart from a T1 logans run which was bored for 22mm axles, and I couldn't find a top hat washer for it. That includes all the 44t sprockets I had back in the day, and every sprocket up until now. Sprockets have always been 23.9mm, and came with 2 top hat washers for either 22 or 19mm axles. I can take pics if you like.

|

3/11/2018 2:25 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

They're ...more

Disco Dave wrote:

I do really like the Stolen Cartwheel sprocket, at least for the price and it's supposed to be a reasonably reputable company. ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If you contact Stolen directly about the issue, I really doubt they would send you another one with the same issue.

I have sent Stolen a message, thanks.

|

3/11/2018 2:28 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Every sprocket I've ever had has been 23.9mm centre bore. Apart from a T1 logans run which was bored for 22mm axles, and I ...more

Some sprockets used to come in 15/16" bore, I'm not denying that. Dinner plate sprockets in particular I can't speak for as that's before my time.

However, as I said, 5 or so years ago a good majority of new sprockets were 22mm. Not all of them by any means, and maybe not the ones you rode at the time.

I know this for a fact as I had an incredibly hard time shopping for sprockets when I purchased my Indent 24mm cranks when they first came out. If I recall correctly, Fit, Animal, Odyssey, & S&M were the only ones offering 15/16" bore sprockets when I got my 24mms. I know there was probably a few other companies doing them as well, but a majority of the sprockets I was looking into were 22mm thus not compatible with my 24mm (15/16") cranks.

Around that time, Tree Bicycle Co. started allowing people to mail in their 22mm Tree Sprockets to be re-bored to 15/16" for compatibility with Odyssey cranks (a bit prior the the Indent 24s I believe.)

Anyways, this is incredibly off topic, I was just trying to make the point that 22mm-19mm Adapters really aren't hard to come by at all. In fact, after one 5-second Google search, without even scrolling, I was able to find 4 different options for 19mm-22mm sprocket adapters. Photo

Did you try searching for them as "Sprocket Adapters"? Or were you searching specifically for "Top hat washers"?

|

3/11/2018 2:30 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Every sprocket I've ever had has been 23.9mm centre bore. Apart from a T1 logans run which was bored for 22mm axles, and I ...more

Im sure you're right. When I said my top hat washers were 5/16" to 19mm and 22mm, 5/16" is 23.9mm (23.8125mm).

|

3/11/2018 3:13 PM

I mean i bet if you look at those google search results they wont be the right size. There's plenty of 24mm to 19mm or 24mm to 22mm but I remember a few years back i had a REALLY hard time finding 22mm to 19mm adapters. I ended up putting a 24 to 19 onto a lathe and grinding it down to 22mm.

|

3/11/2018 3:20 PM

"90%+ were 22mm bore"
And yeah, the problem I had was every link never actually had the size I was after. To be fair it's probably harder to get them in the UK. All the old stock of them is probably sitting at the bottom of a box of spares in most shops.

|