Sprocket sizes?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/22/2017 4:53 AM

This is a bit of market research more than anything really.

I'm looking at getting some sprockets made up, and have had an idea.
26t and 27t.
Here's my reasoning
A lot of people like to slam their rear wheel, but once slammed there's a bit of slack in the chain. So the extra tooth up from a 25, or tooth down from 28, could help people dial in their again slack.
27t sprockets are fairly rare (I want one, can't find one I like), and 26t are practically non existent.

Good idea? Bad idead?
Obviously, the thought process behind this isn't really so people have a wider range to choose from in a ratio sense, because the difference will be tiny. But, could help a lot of people get their bike more dialled.

|

2/22/2017 6:35 AM

I like this idea! I actually went from a 27t to a 28t just recently. Mainly because of looks and strength and all I have to say is Tree! But a 27t is a pretty sweet spot for fine tuning for sure

|

2/22/2017 6:36 AM

I dont know about this, just because frame sizes and chainstays vary so much. I think its a good idea but it would only apply to a small amount of people. You'll probably make most of your potential sales from people wanting to try different ratios.

|

2/22/2017 6:41 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I dont know about this, just because frame sizes and chainstays vary so much. I think its a good idea but it would only apply ...more

That's a very valid point. But you see a lot of people slamming their wheel to stop it moving with enough slack in the chain to cause chain slap, but not enough slack to remove a half link. So you'd be able to dial in exactly(ish) where your wheel sits in the dropouts

|

2/22/2017 8:07 AM

I'd like a 26t, both to take a little slack out of the system, and so my pedaling doesn't feel so lifeless. I don't go all that fast, but I don't like to pedal a lot either. Yes, I'm lazy.

|

2/22/2017 8:28 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

This is a bit of market research more than anything really.

I'm looking at getting some sprockets made up, and have had an ...more

I have an unused 22mm Tree Lite sprocket if you're interested. I'm curious about this too. I wanted to run it to shorten my back end a bit without removing a half link but I can't use it cuz I have Thunderbolts. I'd really like to see what the conclusion to this is too.

|

2/22/2017 9:49 AM

My biggest hurdle is what centre hole style to go with. I'm not a fan of spline drive. So I'm thinking of just going with the traditional bolt style, with the hole bored for 24mm cranks. Adapters could be used for narrower diameter axles. But getting those made is more expense......
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please some of the people some of the time....

|

2/22/2017 10:18 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My biggest hurdle is what centre hole style to go with. I'm not a fan of spline drive. So I'm thinking of just going with the ...more

You could make a 22mm bore and a spacer down to 19mm. They're the most common sizes out there at the moment.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/22/2017 10:38 AM

I can't stand 25 9 gearing , I feel like a bitch going nowhere fast anytime I jump on a bike with that gearing , and half the damn frames and completes these days don't come with enough room to fit bigger sprockets , it's god damn ridiculous 30 - 9 is where the party's at !

|

2/22/2017 11:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My biggest hurdle is what centre hole style to go with. I'm not a fan of spline drive. So I'm thinking of just going with the ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

You could make a 22mm bore and a spacer down to 19mm. They're the most common sizes out there at the moment.

Seconded for 22 w/adapter for 19, and I do think lower-cost, wider choice in 26-28 is a market need. I'd like to have slightly higher gearing but am not willing, on a single speed bike, to invest in and commit to a 30 tooth sprocket.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

2/22/2017 12:02 PM

I'm not a huge fan of 25 9 either, but I want my sprocket as out of the way as possible. I have a tendency to knock it as it is.

But yeah, at least if it's bored for 22mm, with a spacer for 19mm, that's a good amount of riders covered I guess

|

2/22/2017 12:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2017 11:47 AM

I would totally be interested in running a 26-tooth. It probably won't be super significant, but I feel like it's a perfect medium between the 25 and 27 sprockets.

As a massive fan of dialing in my setup 100%, I like it a lot! Especially with the possibility of a slightly (or completely) slammed rear wheel.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/22/2017 1:01 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I would totally be interested in running a 26-tooth. It probably won't be super significant, but I feel like it's a perfect ...more

Ditto.

I love having things as dialed as possible, and I love the process of tinkering/trial and error to get it dialed. Millimeters can be expensive, but they count!

|

2/22/2017 1:22 PM

26t were quite common on Animal sprockets a few years ago. I ordered a 25t through the shop but my friend messed up and got 26t instead so I've just been running that ever since. It was slam-able with near perfect chain tension on the Funday I was riding while I got my 3rd Wave warrantied, but personally I don't like slammed wheels so I didn't really care for it.

It's definitely a thought but there's a lot of varying factors too

|

2/22/2017 1:40 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

26t were quite common on Animal sprockets a few years ago. I ordered a 25t through the shop but my friend messed up and got ...more

Yeah the varying factors thing is where the extra options become useful though. If someone can have their wheel where they want it with a 25t, they don't need to change it. But if they can't, the only option is 27t or bigger, and 27t are pretty rare as it is. Over here you can literally only get 25t or 28t (unless you really look, and don't mind odd colours or a brand you're not really into).

Also, the design I was thinking of is a no thrills 6 spoke, with fairly wide spokes. The reason behind that is, if you think about where you'd actually hit your sprocket, you'd hit a part of the sprocket where there's no spoke on 5 or 3. And 4 spoke are just wafty really.

This is all from a street perspective. Which is another reason I don't rate spline drive.

Maybe in the future I'll plan a trails sprocket, with a prettier design and more teeth. By that point I might even be able to invest in having more options available for socket and spline drive. The market is pretty well covered for all that though, so there's no rush

|

2/22/2017 4:15 PM

I think 22mm is the best spindle/mid bb bearing size. I was looking for a sprocket recently and was annoyed I could only find a single one (profile wake) that was actually bored for that size. Yeah you can use an adapter, but it pushes the sprocket out further and throws out the chain line.

I'm not sure how many teeth I think is best, I'm running 28t at the moment. You could be really unusual and do a 29 tooth, but I doubt many street riders would be interested in that.

|

2/22/2017 7:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2017 8:09 PM

Mutiny make 27's just grabbed myself one

|

2/22/2017 11:58 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I can't stand 25 9 gearing , I feel like a bitch going nowhere fast anytime I jump on a bike with that gearing , and half the ...more

name one frame that doesn't fit any bigger then 25t

|

IG: @_almost_crook

2/23/2017 12:52 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I can't stand 25 9 gearing , I feel like a bitch going nowhere fast anytime I jump on a bike with that gearing , and half the ...more

booze wrote:

name one frame that doesn't fit any bigger then 25t

Fbm hardway v1. I had to put dimples in the chainstay to get a decent chainline with a 25t. With the wide tyre trend I'm pretty sure it's not the only frame out there with a short back end that's had to sacrifice a good chainline

|

2/23/2017 1:29 AM

ah, i forgot about the short back ends nowadays!

even more weird that it's a fbm frame that doesn't fit a manly sprocket properly

i currently ride 28/9 on a 13,75 CS, slammed.

chain is a bit loose, 29T would be perfect i guess

|

IG: @_almost_crook

2/23/2017 3:22 AM

booze wrote:

ah, i forgot about the short back ends nowadays!

even more weird that it's a fbm frame that doesn't fit a manly sprocket ...more

Yeah I got a custom fbm frame with a 13.5 chainstay, there's easily clearance for a 28, probably 30. But i don't ride wide tyres so it's got traditional double bend stays

|

2/23/2017 6:24 PM

Tyre sizes are getting ridiculous, have they done a 2.5 yet ?

|

2/23/2017 6:28 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Tyre sizes are getting ridiculous, have they done a 2.5 yet ?

Cult AKs are 2.5, way too big!

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/23/2017 6:34 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Cult AKs are 2.5, way too big!

Wow I didn't think they would be out, it was a joke. That's insane.

|

2/23/2017 6:37 PM

MX sized tyres soon, you heard it here first.

|

2/23/2017 6:49 PM

Cellmember wrote:

MX sized tyres soon, you heard it here first.

Yep, soon we'll end up going down the road of MTB, 20" fat bikes, 20+, all sorts of stupid hub and rim standards, etc, etc.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/23/2017 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2017 7:36 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Yep, soon we'll end up going down the road of MTB, 20" fat bikes, 20+, all sorts of stupid hub and rim standards, etc, etc.

Yeah pretty much. Plus turning with such a large surface will make it less responsive.

|

2/23/2017 8:14 PM

Photo

Pathfinder sprocket in 26t

I think having a 26t sprocket is good for people looking for a slightly higher geat ratio , and maybe have their wheel slammed without a halflink and have too much slack . But in most cases I think it's for people who take off too many links from their chain LOL
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/23/2017 8:15 PM

You breaking your chain to get your wheel off when it's slammed?

seems like a hella pain in the ass.

|

2/23/2017 10:47 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote: Photo

Pathfinder sprocket in 26t

I think having a 26t sprocket is good for people looking for a slightly higher geat ratio , ...more

That says 25t :p
I know there's a couple of 26t around, but you can't find them over here, and 27t are hard to find too.

This is all pretty much a thought process. It'll probably never happen, just like the frame's haha. I can't see me having spare thousands of £ to spend and risk having loads of stuff no one buys. But at least I'd have a lifetime supply of frames and sprockets for myself haha

|