Sproket fitting

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2018 7:50 AM

I want to start racing but my bike is geared way to high I have a 28 tooth sproket on now and I want to get a 44 or 41 tooth sproket but I realized that it would hit my frame what do I do?

|

7/3/2018 8:37 AM

Buy a different frame. If your frame won't take a big sprocket I'd bet it's not designed for racing. But, 28 9 is the same gear inch as 45 16 (harder to pedal, higher top speed. Compared to a 44 16 which is industry standard).
You can race with your bike, but it won't be quite suitable for it, so it depends if you want to take racing seriously

|

7/3/2018 8:38 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Buy a different frame. If your frame won't take a big sprocket I'd bet it's not designed for racing. But, 28 9 is the same gear inch as 45 16 (harder to pedal, higher top speed. Compared to a 44 16 which is industry standard).
You can race with your bike, but it won't be quite suitable for it, so it depends if you want to take racing seriously

Exactly this.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/3/2018 9:13 AM

Race frames are different from street/dirt/park frames. A race frame is set to go anywhere from a 40-some down. But, on a modern frame that is not race made. Anything past a 33 probably won’t clear the chain stays. But, you very easily can alter the situation. Run say a 25-9 almost the same as a 44-16. Flatland sprockets go pretty small, so you could run say a 23-9. I am guessing you are using a bike set up for park/street/dirt. Meaning that you are probably running a 9t in back. So, my suggestion would be to get a 25 up front and try it out. Seeing if I am right and it’s a 9t in back even if a 41 say fit. It would be like riding a mountain bike in the big ring up front and smallest cog in the back. You might have a great start but by the first turn you would be passed by everyone while you tried to get it moving. And a sprocket is much cheaper than a frame

|

7/3/2018 1:09 PM

28-9 isnt hard to pedal at all and i live in the mountains...

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/4/2018 1:44 AM

28 9 is roughly the same as 45 16 (which is one of the common ratios in racing). You don't need a massive sprocket to race, they're just more reliable and don't wear as quickly. 28 9 is basically standard in bmx now. If you were to get a bigger sprocket, you'd also need a new driver, or hub depending what hub you have and if they make a 3 piece driver for it (not very common now, mostly just profile and race companies).
Just use your current bike as it is to play around on the track, maybe do a couple of low key intermediate races. If you enjoy it enough, start to build a race bike. But they get expensive real quick. If your bike is for freestyle, chances are the geometry isn't great for racing. Race frames have a 14"+ chainstay, mellow head angle etc to help with stability, so you can give it beans and stick to the ground

|