Squatters (barbell/exercise) -- How do you find it affects your biking?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2014 7:13 PM

I've seen a lot of people post 'leg strength isn't important for hops' and similar firm statements, but others (myself included) disagree.
I'm mostly interested in squats:hop feedback (because i think it's the msot direct), but curious about any thoughts on 'general fitness/strength' relative to bmx performance/skill levels.

|

9/13/2014 7:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2014 9:11 PM

after i started lifting at school, i found the only thing i noticed was that i didnt get as sore and that squats helped me have more endurance pedalling up hills and stuff

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/13/2014 8:17 PM

I used to do these bridge lift things (I think they're called). You basically lie on your back with your knees up and fuxk the air slowly haha. Sounds weird but it made riding long distances/pedaling easier

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/13/2014 8:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2014 8:48 PM

^sounds like advanced kegels ;P

i ride bmx and fixed-gear street/distance, and see similar gains in both types of riding coinciding w/ "fitness" (strength, cardio-capacity, flexibility, etc), and anytime i hear ppl saying stuff like 'strength doesn't matter' i just think 'bullshit' lol

|

9/13/2014 8:53 PM

adfkje wrote:

^sounds like advanced kegels ;P

i ride bmx and fixed-gear street/distance, and see similar gains in both types of riding ...more

I feel that strength only matters if you dont fall within a standard deviation of the mean
super skinny with no muscle will have problems, but so will a heavier/fatter person, regardless of strength
basically if you are reasonably healthy you shouldn't NEED to bulk up to ride, but it may help

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/13/2014 9:48 PM

I'm taking a break from biking and starting to focus on working out more. Musce mass can help whip the bike around somewhat easier ( Stevie for example , can 3whip flat , he's pretty big . Must help ) But more mass = more weight , so it's contradicting.

You're overthinking physics.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/13/2014 9:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2014 9:11 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'm taking a break from biking and starting to focus on working out more. Musce mass can help whip the bike around somewhat ...more

overthinking physics? wut? if anyone is, its you
leg excersize=stronger legs is basic logic

|

9/14/2014 6:49 AM

Well i used to lift A LOT. I loved it. I always tend to focus on upper body and core strength because i needed that to help me ride better. I think bench pressing helped the most. I'd do squats and stuff and what itd do is just like make popping for hops easier.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/14/2014 10:18 AM

have you seen Gabe Brooks? motherfucker can hop over 4 feet and he's ripped, hes the guy who did uprail to superman also haha. he just has basically the strength to muscle his bike however he wants

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

9/20/2014 10:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2014 10:45 PM

if i were training in a proper gym right now, i'd def focus on olympic lifts* if i were looking for carry-over to biking. They've got so much in common w/ 'bmx strength', from the dynamics (fast/explosive movement) to the actual motion (focus on upper-body pulling while lower-body pushing. It's easy to see why training for the clean would help j-hopping)

[*as opposed to, say, bench pressing, delt work, tricep work, basically any 'push' work.. not that such training / strength isn't relevant, but just that it's not directly benefitting your hops and control in them the same as the 'pull' moves do; and ditto for olymnpic training over 'hypertrophy'/bulking-focused training, i mean bulking/'strength' training has still got a ton of carry-over, but olympic lifting's focus on explosive movements (ie, maximizing muscle-fiber recruitment for any given move via CNS conditioning) is wayyy more applicable to 'street' bmx conditioning than any other type of gym-training]

[[I wanna add that olympic (and even power) lifting are not to be approached haphazardly, i mean they're things that are very dangerous if you're using improper form, and getting proper form isn't nearly as simple as it'd appear at first glance. There's far, far more room to get seriously injured compared to, say, 'bulking'/strength training in general. Particularly for olympic lifts. Youtube has tons and tons of great tutorials on form which would be ok for a beginner, but having someone who knows teach you in real life is really where you wanna be to be sure you're safe smile ]]

|

9/20/2014 10:42 PM

I'm taking a break from biking and starting to focus on working out more. Musce mass can help whip the bike around somewhat ...more

LOL You have no choice to take a break from biking you have no bike

|

13 years old

9/20/2014 10:45 PM

Krooked wrote:

LOL You have no choice to take a break from biking you have no bike

lol

|

9/20/2014 11:31 PM

Calf raises are all you need. Youll be able to flick crank flips so fast all other tricks wont matter

|

9/21/2014 1:12 AM

^my buddy's been doing those lately, but i gotta say it doesn't seem like it's even remotely dependent on strength, it's a timing thing it seems..
//i cannot do them tho, just observing lol

|

9/21/2014 8:36 AM

Photo

Here's a picture of me. My scrawny ass doesn't lift but I just learned clean 3s the other day.

Does that answer your question?
|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

9/21/2014 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2014 2:23 PM

it's relative, but yeah there are definitely people who are naturally strong for their weight. For ppl that are not, training helps them become stronger for their weight, and both groups (naturally strong or not) benefit from increased size. Surely you could imagine you'd be able to jump higher, or stick 3's easier, if you were stronger right?

|

9/21/2014 2:42 PM

Look at guys like stevie Churchill and Dennis Enarson. Ho-Lee-Fuck. Both are arguably some of THE best riders in the world, if not enarson the best as he kills everything, and I have yet to see another rider like him, and both are ripped. They're in shape, and that probably is a factor to being able to both of them hucking their bikes wherever, and however they want. Plus if you're built with more muscle, falls aren't as bad. You recover faster and can take a larger hit.

|

9/21/2014 5:47 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Look at guys like stevie Churchill and Dennis Enarson. Ho-Lee-Fuck. Both are arguably some of THE best riders in the world, if ...more

Yeah, I agree.

To the OP, if you wanna go to the gym and try to bulk up and all that, more power to ya! It can't hurt! But just because you aren't the strongest right now, doesn't mean you can't get stronger by riding over time. Don't get discouraged just because you aren't huge.

Technique plays a HUGE roll in how you ride. Like Broc Raiford says, skaters don't olley hella high because their ankles are big. It's in the technique.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

9/21/2014 9:16 PM

Personally, I've always thought people that were taller had the advantage, and it's mostly true. I mean, I'm like 5'3" tops, but Paul Shariff isn't that tall either. And he definitely doesn't look too buff.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/22/2014 9:44 AM

biggy- yeah churchill is a beast (and has also been a great rider since like 12y/o.. great combo of strength and skill!)

stocksy- this was just to discuss and out of curiousity, i'm in not needing for strength much at all, just technique. luckily i've been riding w/ some good ppl lately and am getting back some of the stuff i used to be able to do!

|

9/22/2014 10:28 AM

i do a lot of kettle bell workouts. hasn't improved my biking but it has improved other aspects like my stamina. the intensity of a single workout makes my 10 mile ride across town effortless and it's mostly uphill. so i can ride longer and be less tired/sore after. biking ends up being my cardio. i've seen some big dudes look like feathers floating around doing shite and skinny small dudes throwing their bikes around hard and landing like rocks so everyone is unique but any extra strength is good for you.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

9/22/2014 5:09 PM

I can lift quite a bit for my age but I suck at riding haha

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

9/24/2014 1:44 PM

I've been thinking about yoga, seems like if you are more flexible and fluid your riding would be also, anyone try this? I would think yoga, cardio and calisthenics would be the best regiment

|

9/24/2014 8:09 PM

WaAy late on this one, but OP-Mike Aitken straight up said almost all of his muscle came from riding

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim