Squeakiest tire?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/8/2020 5:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2020 7:03 AM

Just wonder the squeakiest tires y’all have ridden, I have tried odyssey Ross tires and they are not at all squeaky, along with kink severs.

|

1/8/2020 5:30 PM

Can confirm donnasqueaks are obnoxiously squeaky

|

1/8/2020 8:47 PM

Only really squeaky ones I've ever had were the Flybikes Fuego tires.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

1/9/2020 6:16 AM

why does that matter?

|

It’s all bmx

1/9/2020 6:55 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

why does that matter?

Just a little thing I like. Kinda and dare I say kinda like people who like loud cassettes. Generally no noticeable gain in how your bike handles or feels but it’s just the audio.

|

1/9/2020 7:20 AM

my last tire setup was a donnasqueak slick and a sunday current both are pretty squeaky.

|

instagram: aaronwhitlock3

1/9/2020 11:20 AM

gross.

|

1/10/2020 10:37 PM

Maxxis Grifters my god

|

1/11/2020 12:00 AM

I think low pressure is what enables the squeak. The squeak is just the rubber trying its hardest to stay planted but it cant, due to the force of landing while still rotating. So a soft/sticky compound tire at a relatively low pressure should result in more squeak if my logic is sound.

|

1/11/2020 10:28 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I think low pressure is what enables the squeak. The squeak is just the rubber trying its hardest to stay planted but it cant, due to the force of landing while still rotating. So a soft/sticky compound tire at a relatively low pressure should result in more squeak if my logic is sound.

I think your logic is reversed... High pressure would result in less surface area. Less contact area for the same coefficient of friction will mean it is easier to slide (or squeak).

Low pressure will result in greater contact area, therefore a greater frictional force (thereby less squeak).

I'd agree that the squeak all has to do with the rubber compound.

In my experience, demolition momentums have a really good squeak when new, but it fades once they are worn in.

|

1/11/2020 12:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2020 12:15 PM

My understanding is, a bike tire will grip better with lower pressures since there is more rubber making contact with the ground. If there is more surface area, there would be more rubber overall struggling for grip, resulting in a louder squeak. From what I know, the squeak itself is the rubber rapidly gripping and losing grip repeatedly, till the tire regains traction.

An extreme example could be: 2 exact same spec cars, same wheel speed. Pretend you could completely isolate tire noise from the rest of the car, what would be louder?

A. Single 500hp car doing a burnout
B. Both 500hp cars doing a burnout simultaneously

The answer would be B. because there is more rubber losing adhesion.

I think this would also mean, the larger tire you run, the more opportunity for squeak since you can run lower pressures and have more contact patch with the ground.

Tire compound plays a huge factor too, as we both agreed, a super hard rubber would make less noise because there is less rubber gripping the surface. A harder compound will fail to deform as much to wrap around the various changes in the surface.

|

1/11/2020 12:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2020 12:16 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

This is the experience I’ve always had. With my Maxxis Hookworms, Ringworms, my old Flybikes Fuegos, and even my stock Kenda tires would all squeak more with lower pressure. That’s usually when I knew I had to pump them back up a bit.

|

1/11/2020 12:45 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

why does that matter?

HAMB0NE wrote:

Just a little thing I like. Kinda and dare I say kinda like people who like loud cassettes. Generally no noticeable gain in how your bike handles or feels but it’s just the audio.

I think that's valid..

I've seen guys looking for the loudest cassette and loudest tires..

Since I've started riding freecoaster I've been enjoying having silent bike ghosting

|

1/11/2020 1:23 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I think that's valid..

Since I've started riding freecoaster I've been enjoying having silent bike ghosting

Guys, what's the quietest freecoaster hub?

|

1/11/2020 1:51 PM

HAMB0NE wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I think that's valid..

readybmxer wrote:

Id say either the Z-coaster or the Freenight.

|

1/12/2020 5:31 PM

readybmxer wrote:

This one:

Photo
Photo

|

1/12/2020 8:16 PM

Undesemin wrote:

This one:

Photo
Photo

Hop sextuple whip

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.