St Cloud MN Skatepark "Moving"

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2018 12:42 PM

Hey dudes,

Apparently my local park is being moved to make room for a costco. Now this is fine, but the issue is that they are leaving the town with NOTHING for upwards of a YEAR. Most recent details are that the park will be torn down, then the Costco goes up, and the park will be designed during the construction of the store. THEN they will build the plaza in its new spot "2018 or into 2019".

Ideally if you could email the mayor of the city to tell them POLITELY that leaving the city without a spot to ride for a year is effectively throwing kids out on the streets, I would be grateful. I just want him to understand the gravity of it, and what better way than to have people from all over the world load his inbox with POLITE ways to say this was a poorly planned way to go about it.

NO SWEARING, NO THREATS, USE PROPER GRAMMAR IF YOU DO IT. I want BMX to appear much more well-read than the typical "f that dood, byks r fun n shizz" or whatever you kids these days write.

The Mayor is Dave Kleis dave.kleis@ci.stcloud.mn.us

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/30/2018 2:06 PM

I'll try to type something out in a bit for ya man!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/1/2018 4:56 AM

Oh ho, it's time to expand the backyard jumps wink

I'll send in my little bit too.

However, would he care much? We're not parents of kids riding the skatepark, or skatepark users, just random strangers typing in from around the world.

Should we pose as people riding the skatepark? Should we email in as random strangers riding bmx bikes?

A neat little idea, in my opinion, for the city council would be to invest in a lot of plywood sheets so parents, builders, carpenters can get together and build a temporary skatepark (just some ramps, a quarter, a grind box or whatnot) that could go up in an indoor sports complex- say a basketball court (so it's removable).

Are any petitions up? Any videos from kids riding skateparks asking the mayor to have temporary ramps? Heck, does any one know the mayor's kid so they can get him a free cheap skateboard or scooter?

I'm just throwing ideas and not giving real suggestions. I don't know how things work over there, what the scene is like, and I'll shut up.

As for the mayor, f that dood, byks r fun n shizz.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/1/2018 5:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/1/2018 5:30 AM

Skylight wrote:

Oh ho, it's time to expand the backyard jumps wink

I'll send in my little bit too.

However, would he care much? We're not ...more

Honestly the goal is to load his inbox with emails about how people are upset with the clearly poor planning to keep kids safe/with a place to go.

Their reasoning is "there will be too much going on with construction of the building to put the skatepark up right away" which is ridiculous. This is just another example of this city putting literally everything ahead of the youth.

As to the building small stuff and putting indoors-we don't have a public sports complex-there are private gyms etc and that's it. Honestly the city should put something up in one of the dozens of empty parking lots in the area even temporarily...then DONATE the ramps to someone or even the new setup (it will be concrete but moveable stuff is the best) as a tax write off.

I have started contacting local surrounding cities to work on plans for a series of smaller setups-even if it was just a few ledges and a bank on a random corner, and another spot has a mini and so on.

It would be easy to build a few little parks in one city VS one bigger one. I even suggested a HUGE park down the road from my house as an option for a skatepark etc because it is empty 95% of the time unless there is baseball. I suggested either a dirt jump park, a smaller skatepark and a mountain bike trail as reasonably cheap upgrades that would bring in a LOT more people to the town.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/1/2018 6:30 AM

Side note, the rumor is May 10th the park will be demolished. I will be having a final session with my son this weekend, and might try to snag one next week.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/3/2018 8:08 PM

Photo

Heres a reply I got from your mayor! So I guess he'll be there this Saturday to answer questions!
|

5/3/2018 8:25 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote: Photo

Heres a reply I got from your mayor! So I guess he'll be there this Saturday to answer questions!

It's amazing that he cares. We're just peasants most of the time.

|

5/3/2018 8:34 PM

Photo

Sent! Hopefully this helps.
|

5/3/2018 8:56 PM

jbales wrote: Photo

Sent! Hopefully this helps.

Hahahalaughing

|

5/3/2018 9:01 PM

|

5/3/2018 9:10 PM

Man. I love the mentality of blue states. In a red state it would be a 4 second video entitled "Skateboarding is THE WORK OF SATAN".

|

5/4/2018 5:41 AM

jbales wrote:

Man. I love the mentality of blue states. In a red state it would be a 4 second video entitled "Skateboarding is THE WORK OF ...more

That's what BMX has been this whole time. Bikes are "technically not allowed but they don't enforce it".

I saw that too. I'm surprised you got a reply, I never did.

I will be there this weekend and hopefully he is when I am there so I can tell him that they NEED to work with the BMX community on the rebuild.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/4/2018 11:47 AM

@Dave_Lawrence, you better be there when he is.

I've sent a rather classic and well worked email that took me a few hours to plan and type (lengthy, with subtle articulations of the english language, worthy of a much more mature person than I).

If there are only kids of the "u fkn douchebag" type, I'll be immediately discredited.

Don't let us down- you're the face of vital.

Cheers, mate.

Don't forget the suit, haha.

-Skylight.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/6/2018 5:35 PM

just wait for him out side be like "EY YO MY GUY, SUCK MY DICK" he'll get the point

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/7/2018 4:58 AM

I was not able to make it to the park this weekend. Not sure when I will be riding next due to a bunch of stuff around my house and rain.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura