Stable Frames for Street riding

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2020 9:48 PM

I was wondering if anyone still rides a more stable frame for street riding. My new frame has a highish BB of 11.7", and it feels a little sketchy.

Current frame is 20" TT, 13.6" CS, 8.5" standover, 11.7" BB 75 head tube angle, and 71 degree seattube angle.

I feel like I have to be very careful when I ride, and I just don't feel comfortable on it that much. I barely put my weight back, and I loop out.

So I was wondering if anyone here rides a frame marketed for trails on street. Like less than 75 head tube angle, 11.5" or lower BB, and 13.75"+ chainstay?

|

3/12/2020 11:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/12/2020 11:27 PM

You want one of these , it’s like the mongoose sniper pro but cooler , it’s got a front brake
Photo

|

3/13/2020 12:20 AM

RonniMontana wrote:

I was wondering if anyone still rides a more stable frame for street riding. My new frame has a highish BB of 11.7", and it feels a little sketchy.

Current frame is 20" TT, 13.6" CS, 8.5" standover, 11.7" BB 75 head tube angle, and 71 degree seattube angle.

I feel like I have to be very careful when I ride, and I just don't feel comfortable on it that much. I barely put my weight back, and I loop out.

So I was wondering if anyone here rides a frame marketed for trails on street. Like less than 75 head tube angle, 11.5" or lower BB, and 13.75"+ chainstay?

How tall are you to ride a 20 inch top tube?

The specs you are asking if people ride are specs that use to be the norm for a street frame.

|

3/13/2020 12:46 AM

RonniMontana wrote:

Wayne S wrote:

The specs you are asking if people ride are specs that use to be the norm for a street frame.

I'm 5'4"/5'5" or about 163 cm. So pretty damn short. Most street frames I see now are 75-76 head tube angle with 12.5" - 13.5" chainstay.

I'm looking for something like 74-74.75 with a 13.75"+ chainstay and a 11.5" bb or maybe lower.

Im just skeptical because I've been experimenting with frame geo, and don't wanna buy another frame I don't like.

I'm just trying to gauge what chainstay length and BB combo might be too much on the stable side.

I'm also like 200 lb or 91 kg, so pretty heavy for my height.

|

3/13/2020 1:14 AM

I'm thinking that anything over 21" would be too long for me. So I'm thinking something like 20.7"

|

3/13/2020 4:21 AM

Honestly, if given the choice, I'd probably prefer to be on q 20.5 or so if I were your height. That is not to say you can't ride your bike as is but since you are looking at (possibly) a new frame, that is my suggestion, size-wise. As for stability, and what you are riding. There was a time that people rode whatever race bike they owned as a race bike, a freestyle bike, etc... NOBODY looked at geometry for street, flatland, trail, park, etc..; because those things didn't exist. It was just BMX. That said, with today's multitude of geo's available, if you are looking for stability, I'd say you could look at a trail geo. Something that has a slacker head tube angle and a longer chainstay.

|

3/13/2020 4:34 AM

For your height 11.7 BB height is fine.

Push bars forward a fraction and ride what you got, otherwise 20.5 TT max and 13.3 CS or less for your height.

Sketchy just means you need to ride more often, and trails frames are good for trails.

|

3/13/2020 6:20 AM

just buy a trail frame. they are all the same. i rode a Mud runner for 2 years and it touched dirt maybe twice. even with 4 pegs and a coaster.

FBM steadfast was the most stable frame i've ever ridden. I think you'd be good on like a V2 Sunday Soundwave too.

11.5 BB with 13.5 CS would be your friend for stability

|

3/13/2020 9:57 AM

I ride a Steadfast for street. Works but I'm not a super trick heavy rider.

|

3/13/2020 10:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's gonna be a tough decision. I've ridden a couple 20.5's, and I like the feel. A 20.5" with 13.5" CS and a 11.5" should be pretty good. I'm almost positive that is what my old fiend frame was, but I'm still thinking I could go a little bigger.

Right now for example I'm looking at the BSD Sureshot.

20.7"
74.75°
71°
13.4"-13.9"
11.5"
9"

|

3/13/2020 10:58 AM

RonniMontana wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's gonna be a tough decision. I've ridden a couple 20.5's, and I like the feel. A 20.5" with 13.5" CS and a 11.5" should be pretty good. I'm almost positive that is what my old fiend frame was, but I'm still thinking I could go a little bigger.

20.7"
74.75°
71°
13.4"-13.9"
11.5"
9"

out of curiosity, what offset fork are you running?

|

3/13/2020 1:06 PM

One frame that comes to mind is the subrosa MR1. It has a similar geo to your current frame, but the bb is lower so it will feel more stable.
CS 13.4 - 13.6, STH 8.75, BB 11.5, HTA 75°

|

3/13/2020 1:08 PM

RonniMontana wrote:

20.7"
74.75°
71°
13.4"-13.9"
11.5"
9"

Mishinn_Control wrote:

out of curiosity, what offset fork are you running?

I believe they are 25. We The People Patron. Had them for a long time now. They could be the 35 mm variant because I didn't know anything about geo when I bought them.

|

3/13/2020 1:10 PM

Undesemin wrote:

One frame that comes to mind is the subrosa MR1. It has a similar geo to your current frame, but the bb is lower so it will feel more stable.
CS 13.4 - 13.6, STH 8.75, BB 11.5, HTA 75°

This is literally the other frame I'm considering! It would probably be a great choice too. Appreciate the reassurance!

|

3/13/2020 2:24 PM

streethack wrote:

Push bars forward a fraction and ride what you got, otherwise 20.5 TT max and 13.3 CS or less for your height.

Sketchy just means you need to ride more often, and trails frames are good for trails.

I appreciate the feedback. I understand how TT and CS are relevant to one's height. 20.5" is good for my height, but I also know dudes my height that ride 20.75" or even 21"+.

I figured for BB, a lower BB would be better, since my center of gravity is lower already when I walk. I tried a 13" and 13.3" CS. 13" was too twitchy for my liking. 13.3" wasn't as bad on the 11.6" frame I had, but it was also a 19" TT so that's a factor too. I just don't know if 11.4" or 11.35" might be too low.

|

3/13/2020 2:26 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I ride a Steadfast for street. Works but I'm not a super trick heavy rider.

It definitely seems like a great frame! I just kinda want something a little more budget friendly until I know the geo I want to stick with. I can't do much on a bike either.

|

3/13/2020 2:32 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Honestly, if given the choice, I'd probably prefer to be on q 20.5 or so if I were your height. That is not to say you can't ride your bike as is but since you are looking at (possibly) a new frame, that is my suggestion, size-wise. As for stability, and what you are riding. There was a time that people rode whatever race bike they owned as a race bike, a freestyle bike, etc... NOBODY looked at geometry for street, flatland, trail, park, etc..; because those things didn't exist. It was just BMX. That said, with today's multitude of geo's available, if you are looking for stability, I'd say you could look at a trail geo. Something that has a slacker head tube angle and a longer chainstay.

I appreciate the feedback. Now since geo is one of the main ways to market a bike, it's something I definitely notice. A 20.5" may be the right way to go. I had one before, and I rode one yesterday. Still feels like I could go a little bigger. Doesn't seem to be too many 20.5" frames with a headtube less than 75. Right now I'm considering the BSD Sureshot.

20.7"
74.75"
71"
13.4" - 13.9"
11.5"

Kinda want something budget-friendly, since I'm still not sure what kinda geo I really want to stick with.

|

3/13/2020 2:57 PM

RonniMontana wrote:

I appreciate the feedback. I understand how TT and CS are relevant to one's height. 20.5" is good for my height, but I also know dudes my height that ride 20.75" or even 21"+.

I figured for BB, a lower BB would be better, since my center of gravity is lower already when I walk. I tried a 13" and 13.3" CS. 13" was too twitchy for my liking. 13.3" wasn't as bad on the 11.6" frame I had, but it was also a 19" TT so that's a factor too. I just don't know if 11.4" or 11.35" might be too low.

Good luck to find lower than 11.5” BB,
BSD sureshot seems good.

|

3/13/2020 3:00 PM

RonniMontana wrote:

Wayne S wrote:

Basically that's I'm thinking. If people rode street with 14" chainstays for as long as they did, I should be just fine. And I really didn't like the twitchy turning of the frame I had with a 75.3* headtube angle

|

3/13/2020 3:11 PM

streethack wrote:

RonniMontana wrote:

Francky wrote:

BSD sureshot seems good.

I've found a few 11.4's, like the Cult Pigot has a 20.75" option with 74.5 and 13.9-14.2". The Fit Heartbreaker has a 11.35".

Right now the Sureshot is at the top my list. Just looking around a bit before making the purchase.

|

3/13/2020 6:45 PM

OP: Both Standard Byke Co. and S&M offer build your own frames. Rather than chasing down a unicorn, build one of your own!

|

3/13/2020 7:15 PM

BMXogRider wrote:

OP: Both Standard Byke Co. and S&M offer build your own frames. Rather than chasing down a unicorn, build one of your own!

A custom frame would be super cool. I was looking at Laird's frames. It seems that S&M and FBM are not doing custom frames right now, because it says "out of stock" on their sites.

Standard Byke Co. would be a great option for a custom frame as well, and it seems they are taking custom orders at this time.

The only thing is, I'm not 100% that this is the geo I want to stick with. I would be really upset if I ordered a custom frame, and 6 months or a year down the road, wished I went with a different geo.

One day, I will probably get a custom frame, but I think for now I want something more budget-friendly to see if this kinda geo really is what I want.

I will definitely take this option into further consideration though.

Right now my top choice for a budget frame is the BSD Sureshot.

20.7"
11.5"
13.4"-13.9"
74.75*
71*

I rode a 20.5" with a 60 mm stem for the longest time, so I think a 20.7" frame with my 50 mm stem should be good.

|

3/13/2020 9:00 PM

RonniMontana wrote:

A custom frame would be super cool. I was looking at Laird's frames. It seems that S&M and FBM are not doing custom frames right now, because it says "out of stock" on their sites.

Standard Byke Co. would be a great option for a custom frame as well, and it seems they are taking custom orders at this time.

The only thing is, I'm not 100% that this is the geo I want to stick with. I would be really upset if I ordered a custom frame, and 6 months or a year down the road, wished I went with a different geo.

One day, I will probably get a custom frame, but I think for now I want something more budget-friendly to see if this kinda geo really is what I want.

20.7"
11.5"
13.4"-13.9"
74.75*
71*

I rode a 20.5" with a 60 mm stem for the longest time, so I think a 20.7" frame with my 50 mm stem should be good.

BSD Sureshot sounds fine.

What it reads to me like is. You need a bike that gives you confidence and leeway in your control inputs.

Other then your frame having a shorter toptube, the rest of it is about where you might want to be in the future, you are just not ready to level up yet.

|

3/13/2020 9:09 PM

BMXogRider wrote:

RonniMontana wrote:

20.7"
11.5"
13.4"-13.9"
74.75*
71*

Wayne S wrote:

BSD Sureshot sounds fine.

What it reads to me like is. You need a bike that gives you confidence and leeway in your control inputs.

Other then your frame having a shorter toptube, the rest of it is about where you might want to be in the future, you are just not ready to level up yet.

I greatly appreciate the genuine feedback Wayne! I think I'm going to order it today or tomorrow.

|

3/13/2020 11:02 PM

streethack wrote:

RonniMontana wrote:

Francky wrote:

BSD sureshot seems good.

I think one of the take ivy frames was 11.4 , the only frame I can remember seeing lower than 11.5 , I love 11.8 , has anyone tried taller ?

|

3/14/2020 3:30 AM

RonniMontana wrote:

You can't compare to a 19TT you might as well get on an 18" bike for what that's worth.

I used to ride street on trails frames before street geo existed, it can work but it has limitations compared with getting dialed in on a street frame. The stability ain't worth shit vs the responsiveness and agility when you want it, which you won't get the same feel from a long back end and low BB height.

Stability comes once you get dialed in with a setup for your given riding style.

|

3/14/2020 9:19 AM

streethack wrote:

You can't compare to a 19TT you might as well get on an 18" bike for what that's worth.

I used to ride street on trails frames before street geo existed, it can work but it has limitations compared with getting dialed in on a street frame. The stability ain't worth shit vs the responsiveness and agility when you want it, which you won't get the same feel from a long back end and low BB height.

Stability comes once you get dialed in with a setup for your given riding style.

I'll keep this in mind. The frame I went with is 13.4" slammed, so I guess it's moe of an all-around frame. Maybe after I gain some bike control, I'll switch to a shorter CS.

I also didn't really care for a super short back end on the 20" or the 20.5" frames I've rode.

It's funny that you make that comparison, I do have an 18" as well.

|

3/14/2020 9:35 AM

RonniMontana wrote:

streethack wrote:

RonniMontana wrote:

I'll keep this in mind. The frame I went with is 13.4" slammed, so I guess it's moe of an all-around frame. Maybe after I gain some bike control, I'll switch to a shorter CS.

I also didn't really care for a super short back end on the 20" or the 20.5" frames I've rode.

It's funny that you make that comparison, I do have an 18" as well.

The top tube size matter a lot.
The taller you go on the front, the shorter you can go on the back.
So you got a roomy and responsive bike.
If you go long front and back, you end up with a big boat which is good for bowls and trails but really hard to manœuver on tech moves.

I’m 6’1” and I feel much more stable on a 21.25” w/ a short 13”-13.25” backend than on a 21” w/ a 13.4” + backend.

|

3/14/2020 11:24 AM

Francky wrote:

The top tube size matter a lot.
The taller you go on the front, the shorter you can go on the back.
So you got a roomy and responsive bike.
If you go long front and back, you end up with a big boat which is good for bowls and trails but really hard to manœuver on tech moves.

I’m 6’1” and I feel much more stable on a 21.25” w/ a short 13”-13.25” backend than on a 21” w/ a 13.4” + backend.

I appreciate the feedback. I've read this on a few other forums too, and I could see it being true.
It certainly is an interesting concept. I guess it's because a longer TT puts your body weight further forward.

I was riding a 20.5 with a 13.6 for a while, so maybe a 20.7 with a 13.4 would feel decent for me.

|

3/14/2020 1:59 PM

Another thing to consider about BB height is how manufactures use a 20" inflated diameter tire for the measurement.

For example... A 2.4 Mainline tire has a 20.94" inflated diameter. If you ran those F&R on a 11.75" BB you'd be effectively running a 12.22" BB. On the flip side is you think your BB feels high and you run large tires you might want to try a smaller diameter tire (Animal GLH 2.1 has an inflated diameter of 20.2").

Pedal thickness can also play a roll in BB height "feel", but doesn't change how high your BB is from the ground.

|