Stack height

Related:
Create New Tag

2/14/2020 3:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out if a 20mm dust cap will work with my Odyssey pro headset without raising my stack height. There are 4 spacers totaling 17mm (10mm, 3mm, 2mm and 2mm) not including the headset cover with the Odyssey logo. To my understanding the dust cap would take the place of the headset cover piece. I'm not sure how thick the Odyssey headset cover is but I'm assuming this would be included in the measurement. Maybe 2-3mm?

I'm running an R32 fork (166mm), CCR frame 4 1/2" head tube, and S&M Enduro V2 stem.

I could go with a 15mm dust cap but I'm trying to eliminate additional spacers. I've attached a picture of the pro headset cover, my set up, the dust cap for reference. Thanks!

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/14/2020 3:54 PM

Just place the dust cap and spacers on a flat surface stacked onto each other and measure it from the ground up.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/14/2020 5:40 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Just place the dust cap and spacers on a flat surface stacked onto each other and measure it from the ground up.

Thanks, that's a good idea.

|

2/14/2020 5:55 PM

Hey guys, I just figured it out. I saw a bike check with a 21mm dust cap with the same headset, frame, forks and stem so I know it will work.

|

2/14/2020 6:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2020 6:28 PM

readybmxer wrote:

snippersnapperz wrote:

If yer really worried, I guarantee this will give you the measurements, and it’s the simplest way. Cuz math always adds up.

Also, make sure your stem still sits a good amount over the steerer. If it’s something like halfway off so only the bottom pinch bolt can compress against the tube wall, that’s a no-go.

Measure the stack height, AND the stem coverage to be sure. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/14/2020 6:53 PM

readybmxer wrote:

snippersnapperz wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

If yer really worried, I guarantee this will give you the measurements, and it’s the simplest way. Cuz math always adds up.

...more

Thanks for the tip and I'll check the stem coverage for sure. Good lookin out! smile

|

2/15/2020 10:21 AM

To eliminate spacers, eliminate spacers.
Replacing them with a tall dust cap won’t change shit.
Buy a bigger bar and cut your fork.

|

2/15/2020 2:12 PM

Sounds like a scientific impossibility to me

|

2/15/2020 8:57 PM

I would suggest getting a 20mm since the odyssey cap adds another ~4mm. I have that headset dust cap and Its a work of art. I have the same fork, and very similar stem stack height, and got a 15mm and needed extra spacers. The 20mm will probably be very similar to what you have as the entire measurement of the 20mm will be a couple mms more, and you cant forget that sam, the guy that designed probably took the average ht height, stem height, and steerer length into considerstion when designing the dust cap.

|

bikes

2/16/2020 4:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 4:51 AM

bmxmanboy wrote:

I would suggest getting a 20mm since the odyssey cap adds another ~4mm. I have that headset dust cap and Its a work of art. I ...more

Thanks, I agree the odyssey cap is at least 3-4mm and the dust cap will replace it so it should be the same stack height plus there's a few headsets on the market that come with 20mm dust caps like BSD and Cult. There's some pros that run around 20mm stack height as well with odyssey forks. And if does end up being too tall then I'll get the 15mm. I'll be sure not to risk having the stem sit too high. Not interested in getting bigger bars although I've considered it in the past. Sam makes great products for sure!

|