Starter Bike

Related:
Create New Tag

4/7/2013 4:34 AM

Looking to get into BMX, what is a good starter bike for dirt?

|

4/7/2013 4:43 AM

depends what your budget is
Also, welcome to vital bud

|

Bruh

4/7/2013 4:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2013 5:47 PM

Around 400? And thanks man.

And at least the ability to go on dirt I mean

|

4/7/2013 5:29 AM

stereo do some good bikes for a tad over 400 b it its just best to browse about

|

Bruh

4/7/2013 5:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2013 5:59 AM

No one sells Stereo bikes here in the states.

Take a look at these.

2013 Kink Barrier
2012 Verde Spectrum

Both of these are full chromoly frame/fork/bars, all bearings sealed, proper tires for dirt. Personally, I'd go with the Verde because the rims on it are welded as opposed to the pinned joins on the Kink. The Verde also has a better frame geometry for dirt.

|

4/7/2013 5:58 AM

If you ain't too bothered about having a brand new bike I reckon you could pick up a legit 2nd hand custom for 400 but if you are set on getting something new I would highly recommend anything by wethepeople, there completes are solid.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

4/7/2013 4:55 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

If you ain't too bothered about having a brand new bike I reckon you could pick up a legit 2nd hand custom for 400 but if you are set on getting something new I would highly recommend anything by wethepeople, there completes are solid.

go with a wethepeople if you want a new bike. try to get a used custom. i bought a low end complete and nothings stock except cranks, frame, headset, and forks. thats after a year. dont spend 375 on a shitty complete like i did. now a lot more brands put chromoly forks, bars, frames and sealed bearings on completes that go for around 400. wethepeople completes are nice

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

4/7/2013 6:13 PM

G-LandRider wrote:

go with a wethepeople if you want a new bike. try to get a used custom. i bought a low end complete and nothings stock except cranks, frame, headset, and forks. thats after a year. dont spend 375 on a shitty complete like i did. now a lot more brands put chromoly forks, bars, frames and sealed bearings on completes that go for around 400. wethepeople completes are nice

Is chromoly nice? What is that? I really am clueless when it comes to BMX. Could someone link me to some good beginner info on BMX bike types and parts maybe?

And I'm really more interested in riding dirt btw if that makes a difference. My local spot has a dirt pump track, several different jump lines, dirt jumps, a skill park, and a dual slalom track.

video of said course here:

This is what I would be riding almost all the time. Would just a normal BMX bike work for this? I don't even really know bike types besides bmx, mountain, and road really. Could someone give me some guidance on a proper setup? Thanks!
|

4/7/2013 6:24 PM

Yeah chromoly is what you want. It's strong. You want all sealed hubs, double walled rims, integrated headset, mid or spanish bottom bracket. You can ride dirt with a normal bmx bike if you want. I only ride street so I'm not too experienced on that. I'd get a used custom. That's what I did and traded my way up. I'm not a big fan of completes.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/7/2013 7:10 PM

Lol buy me bikey for 300

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

4/7/2013 9:08 PM

I'd say get one of the Fit completes. They seem to be really solid from what I've seen. If you get a Fit though make sure to get one of the 2nd tier ones, they're like $50 more but it's really worth it; sealed front hub, chromoly bars and fork, pivotal seat, double wall rims, removable brake mounts, chromoly head tube and seat tube, and Twisted PC pedals are the main upgrades of spending $50 more, so it's worth it. The We The People completes are really good too.

|

4/7/2013 11:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2013 12:11 AM

Where is a good place to buy a bike online? Or do you recommend a physical shop?

|

4/8/2013 12:26 AM

WeThePeople Versus 2012 if you can get your hands on one.

Everything is chromoly, downtubes,cranks,bars. Everything is sealed.

Just get some better tires if you're going for dirt

|

4/8/2013 12:44 AM

|

4/8/2013 1:55 AM

No, avoid that. It has 1 Piece Cranks, and a Standard Headset.

|

4/8/2013 1:59 AM

Alright I trust you haha. Will do. Thanks

|

4/8/2013 2:06 AM

JayBurd wrote:

No worries. Are you looking for something Used or New?

|

4/8/2013 8:33 AM

I dont know how you guys feel about veinbmx, but all their 21 inch bmx bikes are sick for dirt, i have rode all but the phero on jumps and they feel sweet! im sure you could get a great bike from them for 400 and designed for dirt! they hold up pretty well i think.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

4/8/2013 9:02 AM

Are the Ambers that Vein sells re-branded Easterns? It wouldn't surprise me. I'm looking at the Chief, vein says it's their top level dirt jumper, and the vessel, the amber version. Are the top level Easterns comparable in quality to other top brands?

|

4/8/2013 9:36 AM

Pitbull Equipment wrote:

Are the Ambers that Vein sells re-branded Easterns? It wouldn't surprise me. I'm looking at the Chief, vein says it's their top level dirt jumper, and the vessel, the amber version. Are the top level Easterns comparable in quality to other top brands?

The Ambers are not re-branded Easterns.

|

4/8/2013 9:40 AM

Go on craigslist!

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

4/8/2013 11:33 AM

Pitbull Equipment wrote:

Jon Byers wrote:

Is there any connection, financially, in tech, or manufacturing? Does Eastern have a financial interest in Vein?

|

4/8/2013 11:37 AM

Pitbull Equipment wrote:

No, they are quite different and you can tell from the specs, they are owned by the same people though. and both makes make bikes that are comparable quality to other Bikes in the same price range.

|

4/8/2013 11:38 AM

Pitbull Equipment wrote:

Jon Byers wrote:

Pitbull Equipment wrote:

Is there any connection, financially, in tech, or manufacturing? Does Eastern have a financial interest in Vein?

They are based in the same place and are owned by the same people.

|

4/8/2013 1:38 PM

What should look I look for in a new bike? What makes a bike better than others? Could someone maybe link me to some good info on this topic? Thanks

|

4/8/2013 1:52 PM

check out veinbmx.com

best bang for your buck on a new bike... and im pretty sure theres a sale right now

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/8/2013 2:22 PM

Jon Byers wrote:

Pitbull Equipment wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

they refuse to have any sort of connection to each other... Truthfully i think eastern is using vein to get them a better rep... because vein came in here with a good rep but eastern seems to get alot of hate..

|

4/8/2013 3:37 PM

JayBurd wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

No worries. Are you looking for something Used or New?

I would prefer new but it doesn't really matter to me that much.

|

4/8/2013 9:55 PM

Danscomp.com
Sells Fit which I ride but also a good one is a united.

|

4/9/2013 3:18 PM

Jon Byers wrote:

Pitbull Equipment wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

Thanks BMX_Forever. By my definition this makes them all Amber or Eastern, bikes within the same company often have different specs. I'm betting Eastern started Amber to get another stab at the market, due to the bad rap they have been getting. Of course Amber is Vein's brand so Eastern owns it all I guess.

Nothing wrong with any of this, smart marketing. The end result is better deals on bikes and they survive/thrive as a company. I wish them the best.

|