Starter bike recommendations?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2015 11:15 PM

I am a beginner to BMX and I want some recommendations. I was looking at WTP Trust tho and I like how it looks.

|

11/8/2015 6:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2015 6:14 AM

Look into Fit, WTP, Fly Bikes, Sunday, Stranger or Other larger companies. Its best to pick a bike with a tt size and bar height that fits your weight and height.

|

11/8/2015 9:49 AM

A good bike has a full crmo frame, fork and handlebars, fully sealed hubs, double wall rims, and thick dropouts. The 2015 trust is a good bike, but it's a little too heavy. 25-24 pounds is the number you need to check for weight. If you're not a skinny ass boy, and have some muscle, the 2015 trust will suit you good

|

Deez nuts

11/8/2015 10:18 AM

I am really skinny so I guess I gotta look for a lighter bike lol. But thanks for the tips on finding a bike.

|

11/8/2015 10:57 AM

BlangBMX wrote:

I am really skinny so I guess I gotta look for a lighter bike lol. But thanks for the tips on finding a bike.

Wrong you are really skinny so you want a heavier bike to get rid of those little girl arms

|

11/8/2015 11:03 AM

Oh yea huh

|

11/8/2015 11:04 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Wrong you are really skinny so you want a heavier bike to get rid of those little girl arms

I don't see how a pound can make a difference between little girl arms and some muscley arms. Plus that he is gonna struggle with that extra weight until he can make it lighter by getting new parts

|

Deez nuts

11/8/2015 11:22 AM

Don't worry about the weight. Geometry is much more important and has a bigger effect on how a bike feels. I got my old bike down to 22lbs and it felt unstable and horrible. All you need to do is ride and enjoy it!

|

11/8/2015 5:30 PM

wtp is a great brand! i have one personally and it has lasted much longer and feels much better than all of my friends bikes.
there are a few things you need to look for if you want a "good" bike that will last.
1. sealed bearings (NOT LOOSE BALL)
2. chromoly frame bars and forks (NOT HI TENSILE STEEL!) Hi tensile steel is about 1/4th of the strenths of chromoly and weighs more.
3. a good fit, i find that 9 inch rise bars are generally the best for most people. 10 inch is generally to much and anything under 9 feels not roomy. and for wideness i ride 28.5 and it still feels a little too wide.
4. dont worry about weight! most good BMX bikes are around 11kg's give or take depending on if you have pegs, brakes ect.
5. its a good idea to have rear brakes when you are learning and if you are riding it around to get to places. it took me almost 2 years to not have brakes and i still have to be very cautious.
6. two or three piece cranks (NOT 1 PIECE)
7. dont get a bike because it looks good or without research, look at the parts, ask about it, even email the company, and if its at a bike shop then ask them and make sure you sit on the bike.

|

11/8/2015 5:47 PM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

wtp is a great brand! i have one personally and it has lasted much longer and feels much better than all of my friends bikes.
there are a few things you need to look for if you want a "good" bike that will last.
1. sealed bearings (NOT LOOSE BALL)
2. chromoly frame bars and forks (NOT HI TENSILE STEEL!) Hi tensile steel is about 1/4th of the strenths of chromoly and weighs more.
3. a good fit, i find that 9 inch rise bars are generally the best for most people. 10 inch is generally to much and anything under 9 feels not roomy. and for wideness i ride 28.5 and it still feels a little too wide.
4. dont worry about weight! most good BMX bikes are around 11kg's give or take depending on if you have pegs, brakes ect.
5. its a good idea to have rear brakes when you are learning and if you are riding it around to get to places. it took me almost 2 years to not have brakes and i still have to be very cautious.
6. two or three piece cranks (NOT 1 PIECE)
7. dont get a bike because it looks good or without research, look at the parts, ask about it, even email the company, and if its at a bike shop then ask them and make sure you sit on the bike.

Also thick drop outs and double wall rims are a good thing to take into count.

|

11/8/2015 7:05 PM

Companies like fit, stranger and sunday are all great bikes. Just dont get a haro, i hate mine it always has a problem too.

|

11/9/2015 10:06 PM

thanks for all the info. It really helped figure out which bmx bikes are stronger and which one I should get.

|

11/10/2015 12:37 AM

Lightweight bikes suck . Too loopy and timid . A heavy bike teaches you how to handle it and move it around , plus keeps you strong . And to be frank , unless you're airing 4 ft out of quarters of doing floaty 3's you won't notice much in weight while riding.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short