Starting A New Job Within A Week (Will be building a new bike BUT...)

Related:
Create New Tag

6/2/2018 4:00 PM

I'll likely be buying a complete FIRST, then changing parts overtime as I go.

I remember having heard a fair bit about Kink Complete Bikes not being all that good in terms of materials/strength, but I've never had an actual issue on any of their aftermarket parts, I've ridden the Human Bars for a stupid long time and they never dented nor bent even on the occasional rage quit during the time I owned them, in fact, they've gone to two other friends of mine and they're still being ridden currently.

I've ridden the 8t RHD Incite cassette that I've managed to mod into a 2 guard 2 peg setup while still using the same full 3/8" press fit female axle but with some longer bolts keyed for an 8mm, that never gave me any hardware based problems either, although I got a driver skip maybe one or two times once in a while but that's when I decided to ride a 28/8 gear ratio.

Anyway the TLDR / Moral of the story is, I'm aiming to get a 2019 Kink Downside Complete, and idk why people would not prefer a kink complete, also it runs $499.99 on most sites so it's closer to the flag ship complete line up.

I guess most of the down talk against kink completes is about the completes within the lower end price points......

The rundown on the bike is
Full Chromoly Frame, Fork, Bar, Cranks (THE IMPORTANT SHIT)

Female Front Hub
14mm RHD Freecoaster
Mission Mylar Rims (Pinned Seam, but at least double walled and has a 36mm width which is standard for a wide but all around positive width)

Mission 510H Chain, which is pretty much a rebranded heavy duty full link KMC style chain

170mm Mission Cranks, 8 Spline but I'm fine with that, I've ridden 8 Spline far longer than I have 48...

2.4" Kink Sever Tires which are a thicker walled 65 psi tire

2 Mission Nylon Sleeved Pegs (I'd assume 4.25" for a middle ground typical length)

The specs on the frame seem good
Removable brake mounts for start and gyro tab holes
20.75 top tube which is my go-to toptube considering I'm 5'10"
13.25 chainstay which is nice for everything to a good extent
75.5 degree headtube angle which is common if not a standard towards more technical frames (I plan to get the Wifi v2 at some point which has a 76 hta)
9 inch standover which is comfortable
11.6 inch bottom bracket height

Also the fork has a 26mm offset which plays into the headtube angle very well.

Also readybmxer has ran a stock kink frame for a very long time, so if you see this it'd be cool if you have any input.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

6/2/2018 4:10 PM

2018 Eastern Shovelhead if you can find one...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/2/2018 7:49 PM

I bought a kink gap complete used back around 2014 it was solid even used it's one of their lower end ranges I really only changed shit out for prefence I don't doubt their higher ends are sweeter

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

6/2/2018 10:00 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

I remember having heard a fair bit about Kink ...more

False.

Kink has some of the best complete bikes around. So whoever said they aren’t good is not very knowledgeable about them. True, a hi ten steel frame or parts of a frame will not last over time. But, if you get a full cromo Kink...it will last awhile. Now like was mentioned an Eastern Shovelhead and a few others that they have that are full cromo are also good. And seeing Fit is all but S&M, well you aren’t going to be upset with one.

|

6/2/2018 10:04 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

False.

Kink has some of the best complete bikes around. So whoever said they aren’t good is not very knowledgeable about ...more

For sure, a bonus of the Fit WIFI v2 is it's been updated to USA Made during production as well.

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

6/3/2018 9:51 AM

Here in the U.K. most of the WTP 2018 completes are being sold with 30% off..might be worth having a look at them too

|

6/3/2018 12:35 PM

philbaines wrote:

Here in the U.K. most of the WTP 2018 completes are being sold with 30% off..might be worth having a look at them too

If you are in the UK and can get a Colony Endevor do it. It’s almost a custom

|

6/3/2018 1:12 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

False.

Kink has some of the best complete bikes around. So whoever said they aren’t good is not very knowledgeable about ...more

Nothing on a fit complete is s&m made. Hardly any of the fit aftermarket parts are s&m made anymore either.

|

6/3/2018 2:27 PM

philbaines wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

If you are in the UK and can get a Colony Endevor do it. It’s almost a custom

I remember the first colony completes were full Colony based custom builds

In the US before Colony had easy distribution throughout the country, those full aftermarket completes had a minimum online of 1,300 or so.

As well as their frames hitting the 400 dollar mark as average pricing within the US, that was on frames like the Hell Stallion, Lowcut, Phantom, and lot's more.

Also the most common Colony Parts I can recall seeing people ride around then were Stems, Guettler Sprockets, Seats, and Pedals, occasional Clone Hubs, Colonial Cranks (Those usually were priced around $205-$220 I'm pretty sure), and Guardian forks here and there.

https://colonybmx.com.au/category/productnews/page/22/

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

6/3/2018 3:28 PM

Small update, I got off the phone with my local bike shop because I forgot to measure that Wifi v2 last time I was in, looks like I won't be buying the one that's on their wall currently. Me personally when I'll do a more "all around responsive" build I'll stick with a 20.75" top tube. I pretty much also understand why I'm so naturally picky with frame geometry as compared to other riders, it's likely because when I ride a 21" top tube or anything longer than 20.85" I feel more fatigued after riding for 8+ hours in the day especially since I'll have to exert more energy on 3's and 180's up 3 stairs or higher. Other than that though a 20.75" frame is a really balanced middle ground for me anyway.
|

My Youtube / RainBMX

6/3/2018 3:46 PM

Kink makes sick completes . A local is on there flow team and he does like 6ft above coping tuck nohanders , to crazy double bar manual 180 skatepark lines

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short