Starting BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

11/28/2017 6:10 PM

What are some good tricks and other things to do when I get my bike. I know how to bunny hop and wheelie though but I was curious about other east tricks

|

If you ain't fallin you ain't trying.

11/28/2017 6:19 PM

Fakies off a ramp... manuals... but one you get your bike just learn bike control and get comfortable with your bike first...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/28/2017 6:27 PM

Ok I'll of course get comfortable with my bike first. Is there any big tips for manuals you can give me?

|

11/28/2017 6:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2017 6:44 PM

SKKRRT SKRRT wrote:

Ok I'll of course get comfortable with my bike first. Is there any big tips for manuals you can give me?

Yeah, just go at a comfortable speed then kinda move your weight forward and then move it backwards and pull back on the bars at the same time to where you get balanced in your back wheel... then you have to balance in your manual which is why you see people moving their hips back and forth in a manual becasue that's how they keep their balance... I don't know if that make 100% sense but there are tons of youtube videos to help you... if you can wheelie like you said above then learning manuals should be a little easier becasue you kind of already know how to balance and what not... if you need any other advice or tips just ask and I'll try my best to help you under stand better...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/28/2017 7:09 PM

hit a pump track, or a park with bowls and learn to get comfortable with balance and manipulating the bike through off camber turns and balance situations as well. Definitely get manuals down. Learn to jump off of small height ledges like curbs first...then graduate up. This can lead to learning how to drop into things.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/28/2017 7:12 PM

For reference:
https://riders.co/en/bmx/

|

11/28/2017 9:03 PM

tbh just ride
the more you ride the more bike control you'll gain and the bike control will convert into learning tricks super easily, if that makes sense.

just ride and do something maybe and inch or 2 extra cool everytime the key to success is consistency always though.

I spent my first 2-3 years doing nothing but airs, simple air tricks (turn down, moto whip, small tabletops) 180s, fakies, manuals, etc. But after that grind expanding tricks and bustin lines out was super easy opposed to friends who'd just grind 360s or barspins just for the shear fact i had more bike control

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

11/29/2017 4:52 AM

Spenlard wrote:

tbh just ride
the more you ride the more bike control you'll gain and the bike control will convert into learning tricks super ...more

I totally agree with this. When I first started riding, there really weren't any "tricks" other than endos, bunny hops & table tops. So we just jumped anything in our paths! By the time "freestyle" became a thing, we already had bike control.

SO, to Spenlard's point, just ride. Unfortunately, this is the stage where we (the BMX community) lose most potential riders. Kids who don't ride, become enamored with pros & really want to ride. Then they realize that it isn't as easy to learn as they thought & get discouraged. Before long, there's a nearly new bike for sale on Craigslist.

|

11/29/2017 6:48 AM

I do a lot of cooking and find myself using garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in nearly everything.

Garlic: Barspins
Salt: Manuals
Pepper: 180s/fakies
Olive Oil: Bunny hops

With these 4-5 things in mind, that's like ALL I've been working on each time I ride. You can pretty much find all of this in almost every line of every pro/am/good rider.

It's all about what you do these tricks into, off of, out of, onto, etc.

And like other people said, put some damn miles on your bike. Learn how to fall. Learn how to jump from standing onto your pedals. Get as comfortable on two wheels as you are on two feet.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/29/2017 6:50 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I do a lot of cooking and find myself using garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in nearly everything.

Garlic: Barspins
Salt: ...more

Lol that was really good! I will make sure to remember that!

|

11/29/2017 6:52 AM

Also, I'm looking for a bike I'll grow into. I was looking at the fit VHS with the 21" top tube

|

11/29/2017 7:05 AM

chromoly

|

11/29/2017 8:13 AM

SKKRRT SKRRT wrote:

Also, I'm looking for a bike I'll grow into. I was looking at the fit VHS with the 21" top tube

Photo

|

11/29/2017 10:31 AM

I thought you were getting the Nordstrom?

|

11/29/2017 10:33 AM

I also thought u needed a 20" top tube, what made u go 21", I think that's a bit big from what you told us in your last thread

|

11/29/2017 10:34 AM

Manny Perez wrote:

I thought you were getting the Nordstrom?

See the post just above yours.....

I'm done with this kid

|

11/29/2017 10:36 AM

I don't think he is a troll, I think
He is just very young

|

11/29/2017 11:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2017 11:11 AM

Manny Perez wrote:

I don't think he is a troll, I think
He is just very young

Maybe, maybe not. If not, he needs some ADHD meds or something to help him focused.

|

11/29/2017 11:10 AM

Mishin lol

|

11/29/2017 11:17 AM

OK, If you are REALLY looking. & NOT a troll, & since you are now considering a larger TT, look here:

http://www.easternbikes.com/traildigger-2018

Full chromo frame, sealed hubs, etc... Fork & bars are Hi-tens for $369 (last time I checked it was free US shipping too).

Or for $399:

http://www.easternbikes.com/nagas-2018

Full chromo frame, forks, sealed hubs, etc...

Or there are other bikes in that range but most don't have a full chromo frame/fork. FIT bikes has a good lineup of full chromo bikes at decent prices.

ANNNNNDDDD... I'm out.

|

11/29/2017 5:14 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I totally agree with this. When I first started riding, there really weren't any "tricks" other than endos, bunny hops & ...more

yup, most kids buy a bike, only ride to learn 180s, shitty fakies, and other simple tricks then lose interest. learn to have fun on your bike above everything!

i had a friend with a huffy back in the day who was outriding me, because he rode.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert