Starting New Trails, Advice Needed.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2014 12:21 PM

I have came into the position of being in charge of building dirt jumps at a local camp. I have built quite a few dirt jumps in the past but just out of dirt that we had dug up, we are having dirt hauled in to build them and the camp is funding the whole project, my biggest question is what is the best kind of dirt to get for a project like this?

Any other advice would be great too, we will have the us up a electric group compactor and a bobcat, etc.

We will have many different trails, from beginner to expert since this is open to anyone to come and ride.

|

3/28/2014 12:25 PM

Clay and or clean dirt are best. You don't want rocky stuff.

Clay keeps its shape better and is less likely to crack.

I have seen folks get black dirt for the bottom, and toss a layer of clay onto the top of it for that shaping and solid setup.
If this is in Pillager, it is about an hour from me, so I may have to make a trip up there.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/28/2014 12:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2014 12:26 PM

Mix of black dirt,sand and clay

|

3/28/2014 12:40 PM

Dont do too big jumps

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/28/2014 12:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have ...more

That's sick. The trails will be just outside of motley at camp shamineau, and if youd be interested in help building them too this spring that'd be awesome! But yeah thanka for the advice

|

3/28/2014 1:05 PM

Your best bet is to go check out the dirt, if possible.
Make a ball with it and see how we'll it packs.
Clay, sand is a geat mix. It shapes well and allows water to drain.

Sounds like a fun gig. Wish I was closer.

|

3/29/2014 8:51 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have ...more

This. But it also depends on location things like humidity, rain, and droughts can affect the dirt, so you will need dirt that is best for where you are located.

|

Nothing like a Good day of Digging and Riding

3/30/2014 1:10 AM

Also look into soil treatment. Dirt Glue™, or Soil-Tac™, if the funds are available. It's expensive but would help minimize maintenance costs. If they can't afford that, the next best alternative is regular old Elmer's™ or any brand of common white glue. Look it up online , you'll find plenty of info about how to apply it and the benefits. A lot of BMX racetracks do this to their dirt, It was also used on the course for that Redbull contest in Mexico. That's where I got the idea to use Elmer's on my trails and it made a huge difference.

|

3/30/2014 6:47 AM

Elmer's glue isn't water resistant, is it?

|

3/30/2014 9:18 AM

DougDeGrave wrote:

Also look into soil treatment. Dirt Glue, or Soil-Tac, if the funds are available. It's expensive but would help minimize ...more

Glue is good, I have also heard of people mixing in quick-crete or concrete powder into the dirt, and when it is wetted down it will harden a little, making them trails hold up better.

One thing to consider as well is the varying skill levels you will have there, so chances are good most of the jumps have to be something that can be rolled over, not just a bunch of giant doubles.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/30/2014 9:32 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Glue is good, I have also heard of people mixing in quick-crete or concrete powder into the dirt, and when it is wetted down ...more

I dunno, I feel like sometimes its kind of a good motivator if there aren't too many beginner lines. I have very little experience in dirt, but the second time I ever rode trails I was able to make it through 2 of the 3 jumps in the kiddie line at sheep hills, and those jumps are still about 6-7 ft apart and a couple feet high. I just really wanted to be able to make it through a line watching everyone boost the fuck out of the jumps, and there aren't really any small legit jumps so I just learned

|

3/31/2014 3:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2014 2:48 PM

pnj wrote:

Elmer's glue isn't water resistant, is it?

No,(edit:YES it is water resistant) It dries similar to latex paint. Water just beads up and rolls off the parts that I've treated with Elmer's.

|

3/31/2014 8:52 AM

DougDeGrave wrote:

Also look into soil treatment. Dirt Glue, or Soil-Tac, if the funds are available. It's expensive but would help minimize ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Glue is good, I have also heard of people mixing in quick-crete or concrete powder into the dirt, and when it is wetted down ...more

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

I dunno, I feel like sometimes its kind of a good motivator if there aren't too many beginner lines. I have very little ...more

Yea, I get what your throwin' down, but in areas that I have built trails, little kids are asshats and just take shovels to whatever they want. We had a solid line of 4 foot tall 6-10 foot gap jumps, rode and built TIL DARK, got back the next day by 10 am and they were all knocked into 2 foot tall tables, packed down and ridden over a LOT. Seriously we hid our shovels so NO ONE could find them, and they were always gone in two days. Those same little shits destroyed the wheel barrow we found out there, our trash bucket, and had fires and even dragged old couches and chairs out there, to later burn them. Place was a mess. Worst part is, we told almost NO ONE they were there. One little bastard found em and went nuts telling his friends. I recall a day where 20 little kids showed up, and constantly tried to tell us how to build jumps for them, and "fix" them so they could ride. Pissed me off.

So this is why I always suggest lines for the younger kids to learn. They will do whatever they want if you aren't there to protect your build.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/31/2014 2:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Yea, I get what your throwin' down, but in areas that I have built trails, little kids are asshats and just take shovels to ...more

I threw in a pump track loop at my spot for the gapers to ride. It works good to warm up on too. I rarely get invaded by shitkids, my newest pests are homeless tweakers.

|

3/31/2014 7:16 PM

|

"Of course theyre compatible theyre cranks"