Starting on BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2017 4:22 PM

Hello guys, Im a 30 years old guy looking to have some fun with a bmx. Im not looking to do crazy tricks just the basic to enjoy on street and skate parks.
I bought a second hand mongoose legion L20. I checked some size charts and i saw that 20" top tube its fine for my height ( 5 " and 7', 1.70 m). But i read that the rise hadle bar of this bike is 7.5 " and this is small for my size and kinda lost, can I just buy a bigger hadle bar?
I rode the bike and feels right for my size but I have no experience with BMX so i dont know what to think.
I need some advise please

Thank you

|

5/30/2017 12:07 AM

It's personal preference really. You can get taller bars, and I personally would recommend about 8.5" you'll definitely feel the difference. But any higher than that and it might feel like you'll loop out when you lift the front end.
A lot of people your height use like 10" bars, because it's a bit of a trend now. But there is such a thing as too high.
To put it into perspective, I'm 6' and use 8.5" bars with a 14mm rise stem and 10mm stack headset.

It's really hard to tell how high your bars should be because it purely comes down to personal preference. You'll need to try a few different heights until you find what you like

|

6/1/2017 9:34 AM

ride it as is, once you have got used to it you might still feel you need a little height on the bars, I did on my bike with 8" bars, I resisted the temptation to adjust anything till i got used to the fact i was riding a BMX bike, then all i did was flip the stem upside down and that seems to be enough as i don't feel as cramped on the bike now.

Where in the UK are you?

|

6/1/2017 12:50 PM

Aledv wrote:

Hello guys, Im a 30 years old guy looking to have some fun with a bmx. Im not looking to do crazy tricks just the basic to ...more

If it felt good to you on a test ride, then ride it as it is. As you want you can always change parts. Everyone knows that you will have to change: tires, pedals, grips, brake cable and pads every so often as they wear out. So, you can always decide on changes for comfort or how you ride as you get better. You may love the bars but hate the stem for example in a few months.

|