Stealth/Low Key Custom Build?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/31/2017 1:09 PM

Hey folks,

I’m new to BMX, did my first indoor park sesh today. I’m awful but keen to learn and have fun.

You may have seen my last build. I love to build bikes. I don’t wanna buy an off the shelf 20” complete really. I wanna build a keeper. Good parts, good frame etc. But the issue is, I’m shit! I don’t wanna bike that shouts “bmx badass” because I am 100% not that and never will be.....not for another 20years of solid riding anywaywink
I work hard and make ok money and like to spend it on things I enjoy.
I’ve kind of fallen for a few frames....Sunday Soundwave, Fit Dugan and any of the S&Ms.

So my question is in the title.....how do I go about making a bike that doesn’t shout about itself but also satisfies my need to make it as serious as I can.

Or do I say FTW and build what I want and accept everyone will call me a prick? I don’t really wanna be that guy!

Thoughts??? (Be nice)

|

If you build it, they will come

12/31/2017 1:17 PM

You could get the frame you want and put a bunch of stickers on it to make it look not so good but yeah I would just make a bike how you want it since it's your money, the people who talk shit will mainly be kids who are broke so don't take them seriously.

|

Hmmm

12/31/2017 1:34 PM

If i were you, I'd maybe focus on building up themed bikes? Maybe some custom paint and stickers on parts of your choice?

Similar to you, I'm pretty shit at riding but love spending time building up bikes exactly how I want them. & since I assume you don't care much for technical specs of the parts, you can focus on buying solely based on looks and price to really bring the build together just right. For example, I've always thought my bars would look stunning on a Batman themed build for some reason haha.
Photo

There's lots of cool looking frames and parts out there waiting to be assembled just right. Some examples.. Double Top Tube & Virtual Top Tube frames, 4pc bars come in all different shapes and sizes, new-school mag wheels, 48spoke wheels, beefy aluminum cranks, wrap-around gusset, wave tubing.. You name it.

You could also look into old school building, and will have better luck talking to the fellas on BMX Museum about that one. There's a lot more sentimental and collectible aspects to old school building than new school. There wasn't really any industry standards back then, so the amount of options for bikes was much more vast.

At the end of the day, just have fun with it and don't worry what people think when they're jealous of your ride. I think if you're putting money into the industry and having fun, then you're doing a damn good job of being a BMX rider.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/31/2017 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2017 1:39 PM

My first piece of advice would be to learn about your bike and proposed bike. If you're dropping money on a good bike, you should learn what you like. By that I mean what geometry, what rise bars, and even what brands you want to support. If you follow a trend you might end up with a bike that hinders you, and you might dislike brands after learning more about them.
Ultimately, it's your choice. But spend your money wisely, don't just get what's cool. You like s&m, that's awesome, but they have a wide variety of frames with different geometry, suited to different things, so that's a bit vague, and dare I say a little fan boyish (I myself like fbm a lot. But they don't make a frame with the geometry I wanted). We can help you with suggestions too

I'm stoked you're stoked though smile

|

12/31/2017 1:39 PM

Like you said...you work hard so spend it on what you want. Who cares what you ride, do, or can’t do (comes with age too lol). I think ‘that guy’ would be seen as the one that doesn’t try anything. Challenge yourself and enjoy the hobby. I just bought a Soundwave and you can find my skills in the dumpster, but I’m working on em

|

12/31/2017 1:39 PM

Edman123 wrote:

You could get the frame you want and put a bunch of stickers on it to make it look not so good but yeah I would just make a ...more

I’ll nip down Halfords and ask for a an X-Rated decal kit laughing Yea that’s a good idea, after I’ve dropped it a few times....it won’t look so fresh.

|

12/31/2017 1:42 PM

Also make sure to check this out. It's a work in progress but will help you decide what is appropriate for yourself.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

12/31/2017 1:48 PM

what you do is get the bike you want, don't pay attention to colors. get really drunk and spray paint it as many colors as you want. don't take it apart either. fuck it.

|

It’s all bmx

12/31/2017 1:52 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

what you do is get the bike you want, don't pay attention to colors. get really drunk and spray paint it as many colors as you ...more

Which brings me to my next point.. paint the whole damn thing gold for Mirra

|

12/31/2017 2:01 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

what you do is get the bike you want, don't pay attention to colors. get really drunk and spray paint it as many colors as you ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Which brings me to my next point.. paint the whole damn thing gold for Mirra

gold spray paint is the best to get high off too

|

It’s all bmx

12/31/2017 2:09 PM

Here's the thing, it's your money. But whatever you want. Just don't be a jerk to the people that are good and have cruddy bikes... but as long as you're nice to then and don't talk sh*t you'll be fine... just becasue you're more fortunate finacially than others doesn't mean you have to have something bad if your skill level is low... just buy whatevet you want and if people hate you for having a nice bike then they're just jealous. Don't let your skill level get in the way of having a sick bike!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/31/2017 2:10 PM

Also I'd like to add this, having a bike that you like and enjoy getting on is the best feeling ever, so you'll progress faster on something you like so just gp for it and have a nice bike bro!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/31/2017 2:11 PM

I'd say go all out if you have the passion and $$$.

Judging from your 24" build you should have no problem making a dope ass 20"... Shit, you could even just pick up a 20" frame, fork and wheel set, swap over your parts and see which one you prefer.

|

12/31/2017 2:48 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Here's the thing, it's your money. But whatever you want. Just don't be a jerk to the people that are good and have cruddy ...more

Wise word brother and I agree completely. I like to think I’m grown up and would never consider giving anyone a hard time what what they do or don’t have. Life is way too short for that.

|

12/31/2017 2:54 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

My first piece of advice would be to learn about your bike and proposed bike. If you're dropping money on a good bike, you ...more

S&M fanboy......GUILTY!!!! I hear you though, I am looking at a few different options and want to find something I can build and ride. I’m coming to the states in April so I’m planning now to make sure I get it right....hopefully

|

12/31/2017 3:28 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

I'd say go all out if you have the passion and $$$.

Judging from your 24" build you should have no problem making a dope ass ...more

Well I did think about that but I wanna keep both....trails for the 24 and a sweeeet 20 for the parks. The 20 will be a more conventional build.

Thanks man

|

12/31/2017 4:41 PM

Why are you worried about being low key again? if you're riding - and it doesn't matter how skilled you are - you are good enough for any bike you want. You aren't building the bike for spectators!!

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

12/31/2017 5:08 PM

Build what you want, ride how you want. Validate yourself.

|

12/31/2017 5:41 PM

If you like the Soundwave, have a look at my bike check smile. Might give you some ideas.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/31/2017 7:36 PM

I've spent a fair amount on my custom and I guess its fairly showy. Worst that happens is someone (usually younger kids) want you do some trick they just assume you can do. I simply have to say "nah I can't" and that's it. Nobodies day is ruined.

|

12/31/2017 8:21 PM

Edman123 wrote:

You could get the frame you want and put a bunch of stickers on it to make it look not so good but yeah I would just make a ...more

That's a lie! it's not mainly kids.. grumpySteve said my dream frame would be one of the ugliest frames ever sad

|

1/1/2018 2:39 AM

Beamex wrote:

I've spent a fair amount on my custom and I guess its fairly showy. Worst that happens is someone (usually younger kids) want ...more

That’s a good point

|

1/1/2018 2:47 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

If you like the Soundwave, have a look at my bike check smile. Might give you some ideas.

Booooom, pretty much what I had in mind. Looks awesome and the parts list.....wow!
Where do you get parts from? I see you’re based in Ireland.

|

1/1/2018 2:57 AM

Oldguyjon wrote:

Why are you worried about being low key again? if you're riding - and it doesn't matter how skilled you are - you are good ...more

No, you’re right. I think being new to BMX, I am just trying to find my way. Learn the etiquette. The general opinion seems to be “build/ride why you want” and I am happy to go with that. It’s what I wanted it to be if I’m honest.
But....had it gone the othe way and everyone had said it was a bad idea, then I’d respect that.

|

1/1/2018 3:07 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

LS1982 wrote:

Booooom, pretty much what I had in mind. Looks awesome and the parts list.....wow!
Where do you get parts from? I see you’re ...more

Thanks smile. I got most of the parts from Kunstform in Germany, they're one of the best shops in Europe in my opinion. There might be somewhere in the UK with similar stock, haven't looked at UK sites much in the last while. If not, I'd definitely say to try Kunstform or Parano Garage. I've had nothing but good experience from either smile.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/1/2018 3:42 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Thanks smile. I got most of the parts from Kunstform in Germany, they're one of the best shops in Europe in my opinion. There might ...more

Yea I’ve seen them and spoke to them about Odyssey Hazard Lites in Chrome when I was doing my last build. They are the only place I could find that had 24” Chrome! I went for Black in the end but they were cool.
Not heard of Parano Garage, I’ll check them out. Need to get my order in before we come out of the EUblush

|

1/1/2018 4:21 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Sheldon. wrote:

That's a lie! it's not mainly kids.. grumpySteve said my dream frame would be one of the ugliest frames ever sad

What frame was it?
And talking shit online is the whole purpose of the Internet.

|

Hmmm

1/1/2018 8:01 AM

LS1982 wrote:

Hey folks,

I’m new to BMX, did my first indoor park sesh today. I’m awful but keen to learn and have fun.

You may have seen ...more

You'd be surprised how much you can progress within a year. Barspins, 180s, 360s, are all possible to learn in less than a year. You just gotta put your mind to it man.

|

1/1/2018 8:11 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Sheldon. wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

What frame was it?

It is for some people, that's for sure. Mostly the people that don't have a voice in real life, I would assume.

|

1/1/2018 8:17 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Sheldon. wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

What frame was it?

It's a custom frame I want
76ha, 69sta, 13cs, 7.5so, 12bb, 20tt

|