Steer tube too short

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2018 10:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 10:26 PM

Basically i built a bike to match one i already had as far as size goes.. when i put it all together i relized that the fork steer tube on my orginal bike must have been a little longer then the new forks i ordered anyway my question is if its ok to run my stem like this its close but the top bolt is technically still below the steer tube or at least on it more then not and everything tightents up and nothing moves, so theroretically it should have enough clamping surface what do u think is this going to cause problems or am i ok ? If it helps at all my orginal bike was a 2017 subrosa salvador xl it has a rant bang ur head headset 15mm cap and 5mm spacer with subrosa uplift stem, stock fork, my new setup is widemouth pitchfork, profile push stem, and a haro dead set using the 14mm cap and a 5mm spacer

Photo

|

1/18/2018 10:28 PM

I've seen worse, but you really should have just a tiny bit more steerer tube through the stem for maximum clamping area.

is that a spacer under the stem? try taking that out and using a smaller spacer if you have one

|

1/18/2018 10:34 PM

Yeah its 5mm spacer, i had it out its fits perfect without it but its to low

|

1/18/2018 10:40 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]

My fork was a bit too short because the headtube on my frame was a bit longer. I got the eclat cargo headset and used the only the cap on the left and it enough space for it to work.
|

1/18/2018 11:01 PM

Have you tried running no spacers? Slamming it?

|

1/18/2018 11:03 PM

Yeah its to low without spacer

|

1/18/2018 11:12 PM

Sean_Carmody wrote:

Like too low for your bike feel or too low for the steerer to have enough room to tighten the headset?

|

1/18/2018 11:24 PM

Sean_Carmody wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Like too low for your bike feel or too low for the steerer to have enough room to tighten the headset?

This! If it feels too low, get used to it. If it's physically too low, get a smaller spacer.

Also, it could be that the headtube is longer.

|

1/18/2018 11:28 PM

Headtube size is the same, and it just feels to small to me... theres nothing i need to get used to i could do alot of things to get a taller setup to where i feel the bike is most comfortable/ easy for me to throw around... but if it becomes a problem il just but an xl widemouth pitchfork with an extra 6mm that would fit perfect id just rather not spend the 150 or so if i dont haaave to

|

1/19/2018 1:34 AM

You’ll be fine , just don’t send stuff off roofs or anything . For sure take that spacer off though . You’ll be in a lot more discomfort if you pull your stem off your steerer tube and eat shit

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/19/2018 4:54 AM

It's hard to tell from the pictures but the typical "space" from the top of the fork tune to the top of the stem should be in the 1/4" range (around 6mm). No more than that.

|

1/19/2018 9:01 AM

Aslong as the top of the tube sits slightly above the top pinch bolt, you're fine. It doesn't have to sit flush with the top of the stem.

If it sits lower than the top bolt, then you're gonna want to remove that spacer, otherwise your stem will pinch and not clamp properly.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/19/2018 10:38 AM

I ALWAYS have the top of the steer tube of the fork NO LOWER that half way through the top clamp bolt on my stem.

Never had an issue with it that way.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/20/2018 12:40 AM

I broke a headtube on a 5 stairs 180... KO...hospital... lucky to be fine now.
Now I always ride my stem slammed or nearly (no more than a 5mm spacer under) and also fully clamped into the steerer tube with a smalll spacer above the stem. Safety first, one head trauma is enough.

|