Stem advice

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2014 6:18 PM

So this weekend I am placing a parts order at my local shop but i wasn't quite sure on what stem.There are three I am thinking of. The Odyssey elementary, the Merritt inaugural, or the Tree timber. I was also wondering if there would be a difference in feel from something like a topload which i am currently running.

|

Support your local bike shop.
Instagram:gobeil4130

1/23/2014 6:24 PM

the odyssey elementary has had numerous problems, so i would steer clear of it
id go for the tree, but the merritt is good aswell
your bars will be a tad lower, which is better for the shorter people, and gives you more room to pull up with your arms.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/23/2014 6:33 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

the odyssey elementary has had numerous problems, so i would steer clear of it
id go for the tree, but the merritt is good aswell
your bars will be a tad lower, which is better for the shorter people, and gives you more room to pull up with your arms.

ok well thats good to know about the elementary. and i might go with the Merritt since its shorter than the tree and i just got a frame that was 0.5 bigger than my previous one. also I'm like 5' 8'' or something.

|

1/23/2014 6:44 PM

either the merritt or the tree will be fine

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/23/2014 7:03 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

either the merritt or the tree will be fine

ok well thanks for the help.

|

1/23/2014 7:06 PM

Elementary stem is by far the worst stem ever

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

1/23/2014 7:11 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Elementary stem is by far the worst stem ever

Good to know because I know a couple guys who run it an really like it. The one guy has been riding his for a while to.

|

1/23/2014 7:23 PM

FBC2012 wrote:

Good to know because I know a couple guys who run it an really like it. The one guy has been riding his for a while to.

Don't listen to him, he has a completely shit opinion on anything he had the slightest problems with. Surprised he doesn't bitch & moan when he scratches a part & complain that the company sucks because of that.

The Elementary stem is good and bad. Some people have good experiences, some have bad. I know someone who NEVER had any issues with it and he had a few different ones cause he kept changing his colors up, never had an issue with any of them. It's all about finding the "happy medium" with it, you can't tighten it too much otherwise it'll crush the bars & steerer tube, but you also can't have it to the point where it seems tight, but will slip if so much force is put on it, such as just simply the weight of you coming down on it from a small bunny hop. You need it JUST right, and it'll be fine. But that's a lot of work for some people so if I were you, I'd just go with the Merrit or Tree unless you're real keen on the Odyssey. If you want a more responsive front end (IE faster turning) get the Merrit, it has a slightly shorter reach than the Tree. Can't go wrong with either really.

|

1/23/2014 7:26 PM

don't get elementary my friend had one and it slips all the time

|

1/23/2014 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2014 7:27 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Don't listen to him, he has a completely shit opinion on anything he had the slightest problems with. Surprised he doesn't bitch & moan when he scratches a part & complain that the company sucks because of that.

The Elementary stem is good and bad. Some people have good experiences, some have bad. I know someone who NEVER had any issues with it and he had a few different ones cause he kept changing his colors up, never had an issue with any of them. It's all about finding the "happy medium" with it, you can't tighten it too much otherwise it'll crush the bars & steerer tube, but you also can't have it to the point where it seems tight, but will slip if so much force is put on it, such as just simply the weight of you coming down on it from a small bunny hop. You need it JUST right, and it'll be fine. But that's a lot of work for some people so if I were you, I'd just go with the Merrit or Tree unless you're real keen on the Odyssey. If you want a more responsive front end (IE faster turning) get the Merrit, it has a slightly shorter reach than the Tree. Can't go wrong with either really.

Thanks I really don't want to spend money on parts and then not have them last. Like i said i just got a frame that is 0.5 bigger than my last and I'm looking to try a shorter front load so i think I will go with the Merritt but I'm still thinking. Any other advise?

|

1/23/2014 7:32 PM

FBC2012 wrote:

Thanks I really don't want to spend money on parts and then not have them last. Like i said i just got a frame that is 0.5 bigger than my last and I'm looking to try a shorter front load so i think I will go with the Merritt but I'm still thinking. Any other advise?

what stem do you currently have?

|

1/23/2014 7:34 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

what stem do you currently have?

I have a stock fit top load.

|

1/23/2014 7:44 PM

I think that's a 50mm reach or so, the Animal MR stem in both top load & front load comes in 48mm reach, and would bring your bars a bit closer to you. not by much though but when I switched from a 53mm reach stem to a 51mm reach stem, I could feel a difference. not a lot though but still, so you might as well.

|

1/23/2014 7:47 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I think that's a 50mm reach or so, the Animal MR stem in both top load & front load comes in 48mm reach, and would bring your bars a bit closer to you. not by much though but when I switched from a 53mm reach stem to a 51mm reach stem, I could feel a difference. not a lot though but still, so you might as well.

Ok well I will definitely keep that stem in mind. Thanks a lot for all the help.

|

1/23/2014 7:49 PM

By the way would the front load give a much different feel than a top load?

|

1/23/2014 7:54 PM

FBC2012 wrote:

Will feel like your bars are about 1/2-3/4 inch shorter depending on the topload. Merritt and Tree are both bomb proof. Your decision should be based on whether you want your bars to remain (close) to where theyre at or sit lower.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/23/2014 7:57 PM

FBC2012 wrote:

It will for a little bit I would imagine, I've never had a top load stem so I can't say. But I have ridden top load stems on friends bikes & it feels like I'm up more on the bike, like taller-wise, because top load stems typically have more rise than front load stems. I would imagine going from a top load stem to a front load stem would make you feel slouched over the bike for a little bit but you'd get used to it.

|

1/23/2014 8:04 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Will feel like your bars are about 1/2-3/4 inch shorter depending on the topload. Merritt and Tree are both bomb proof. Your decision should be based on whether you want your bars to remain (close) to where theyre at or sit lower.

Thanks I spent a lot of my time researching stems and some other parts I will be ordering and what do you mean when you say if I want my bars to remain close?

|

1/23/2014 8:05 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

It will for a little bit I would imagine, I've never had a top load stem so I can't say. But I have ridden top load stems on friends bikes & it feels like I'm up more on the bike, like taller-wise, because top load stems typically have more rise than front load stems. I would imagine going from a top load stem to a front load stem would make you feel slouched over the bike for a little bit but you'd get used to it.

Ok i have riden frontloads on friends bikes as well and after a little bit I got used to it.

|

1/23/2014 8:08 PM

FBC2012 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

FBC2012 wrote:

Thanks I spent a lot of my time researching stems and some other parts I will be ordering and what do you mean when you say if I want my bars to remain close?

Close to how tall they are on your current stem. The Merritt is more of a mid-load so it will still be a tad (1/4"?) shorter.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/23/2014 8:10 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

FBC2012 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Close to how tall they are on your current stem. The Merritt is more of a mid-load so it will still be a tad (1/4"?) shorter.

Ok I see. I was just looking for a bit more responsive front end and I thought a short front loa would be the way to go.

|

1/23/2014 8:15 PM

FBC2012 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

FBC2012 wrote:

Ok I see. I was just looking for a bit more responsive front end and I thought a short front loa would be the way to go.

The Tree is 53 or 52mm so get the Merritt. Its got the shorter reach.

|

1/23/2014 8:16 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

FBC2012 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The Tree is 53 or 52mm so get the Merritt. Its got the shorter reach.

Ok I think thats what I'm going to do. Thanks for all your help.

|

1/24/2014 1:33 AM

Id go with fit hight to stem

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/24/2014 6:25 AM

Get the tree stem

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

1/24/2014 2:14 PM

The elementary works better with thicker bars like sundays. slips a bit with smaller bars. most stems are generally the same.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.