Stem is pissing me the f*ck off...

Related:
Create New Tag

7/19/2013 6:28 PM

So my stock stem was slipping like crazy, I do a small j hop, bars slip. So I bought a new stem, the alienation iron maiden stem, along with BSD high lander bars, and they still fucking slip. I don't know what I'm doing wrong....

|

Why be the same when you can be different?
Official Vital Buddy: Chrisaustin

7/19/2013 6:31 PM

Not tightening it enough is what it sounds like. Or try sanding the knurling if bars and grip part of stem.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/19/2013 6:45 PM

tomdon wrote:

Not tightening it enough is what it sounds like. Or try sanding the knurling if bars and grip part of stem.

I tightened them down pretty damn hard. I might try the sanding the knurls down

|

7/19/2013 6:50 PM

I'd say do it with a wire brush so it doesn't start to file off the metal knurls as well, plus it'll be a little more accurate on the sides and you can get down in between the knurls. Trick is to just get the paint off without damaging the metal so it grips alot better and your new parts don't end up looking like crap. Lol

|

7/19/2013 6:54 PM

take the paint off the inside of the stem and also put tinfoil around the part of the bars that go into the stem

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

7/19/2013 6:54 PM

put grease on the threads of the bolts.

make sure NO grease gets on the bars/stem contact area.

|

7/19/2013 7:00 PM

HahahaPhoto

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/19/2013 7:04 PM

OneEyeIlluminatiGuy wrote:

HahahaPhoto

You're the first person to compliment me on my profile picture! Thanks hhaha

|

7/19/2013 7:05 PM

pnj wrote:

put grease on the threads of the bolts.

make sure NO grease gets on the bars/stem contact area.

Threads are greased

|

7/19/2013 8:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2013 8:22 PM

First, before unmounting the bars (get your mind out of the gutter!), use a pencil to mark around the bars right against where they are covered by the stem.

Take the bars off and sand the sand the paint down between the pencil marks. DO NOT take it all off, just sand it down. Trust me... rust on the bars where they need their strength most is a bad idea lol so keep some paint on.

Take a hacksaw (or REALLY sharp NON-serrated knife)and GENTLY cut grooves lengthwise into the parts of the stem that grip the bars.

Re-assemble and voila! You win!

|

7/19/2013 8:32 PM

OneEyeIlluminatiGuy wrote:

HahahaPhoto

you have an android phone ?

|

7/19/2013 9:01 PM

VinKreepo wrote:

First, before unmounting the bars (get your mind out of the gutter!), use a pencil to mark around the bars right against where they are covered by the stem.

Take the bars off and sand the sand the paint down between the pencil marks. DO NOT take it all off, just sand it down. Trust me... rust on the bars where they need their strength most is a bad idea lol so keep some paint on.

Take a hacksaw (or REALLY sharp NON-serrated knife)and GENTLY cut grooves lengthwise into the parts of the stem that grip the bars.

I'm going to try that tomorrow, I don't understand why the company wouldn't do that dizzy

|

7/19/2013 9:04 PM

VinKreepo wrote:

LDewey wrote:

I'm going to try that tomorrow, I don't understand why the company wouldn't do that dizzy

They do. The knurling is there but when the bars get painted it's so thick that it fills the voids in the knurling basically defeating the purpose of the knurling. They should tape off the knurling when they paint bars.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/19/2013 9:06 PM

VinKreepo wrote:

LDewey wrote:

tomdon wrote:

They do. The knurling is there but when the bars get painted it's so thick that it fills the voids in the knurling basically defeating the purpose of the knurling. They should tape off the knurling when they paint bars.

Yeah that's what I meant, if I ever for some reason get into the bike part biz that's what I'll do lol

|

7/19/2013 11:24 PM

If they didn't paint it, it would rust from having exposed metal... so there will always be some paint. What they need to do is have splined guts like cranks. But then you would have to make 4 piece bars. Buuuuutttttt some people think 4 piece bars are going to make a comback... time will tell.

|

7/19/2013 11:34 PM

Just tighten in an x pattern and make sure to tighten each bolt the same amount so the faceplate clamps down evenly

|

7/19/2013 11:57 PM

well your first problem is you called it a j hop.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

7/20/2013 1:08 PM

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

Just tighten in an x pattern and make sure to tighten each bolt the same amount so the faceplate clamps down evenly

this is probably your problem

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

7/20/2013 1:10 PM

jj0996 wrote:

take the paint off the inside of the stem and also put tinfoil around the part of the bars that go into the stem

just do what i said it works every time

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

7/20/2013 2:26 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

well your first problem is you called it a j hop.

Thats what I call them and I have no problem tongue

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]