Stem reach

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2016 3:19 AM

I'm getting the colony stem and I am now riding a Sunday freeze will I notice and thing different I also got a new frame,a united rigal to a fiend Reynolds frame and I 360 a stair set and realized I yo nose heavy real bad but get back end up,what does a shorter reach specifically do??

|

1/24/2016 8:38 AM

Bump

|

1/24/2016 1:47 PM

It change the handing feeling, a long stem (52mm and more) will bring a stable feeling, and a shorter (like 48mm) will bring a more twitchy feeling.

i had personally test 48 / 50 and 52, I like the 50 and 52 but not the 48 which is too twitchy, and I like a (semi) mellow handling.
I currently ride the 50 mm version and it feels right, a good middle.

When I dropped from 52 to 50, I noticed the handling was a bit twitchier and also my bike was a bit smaller, which is totally logic because if we take some extreme example between a 47 and a 53 there's 0.25" ! Which is enough to considerably change the feel of a frame, and so the handling in this case.
Some nose manualers says it's easier to get into them with a shorter stem, which is logic too.

Hope it helps.

|

1/24/2016 2:26 PM

What about 360 flat,thanks for the feed back bro

|

1/25/2016 4:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2016 4:57 AM

About 360 flat ?
If you know how to do 360's it will may change a bit the feeling (like if you go from 52 to 48 there will be easier to pull since you bike will be a bit smaller if you don't change your bar angle but also maybe not as stable if you were used to 3 a certain way and have to adapt a bit) but if you don't know how to throw 3's it will not make you learn them magically.

But the global theory for any parts is : long is stable, short is twitchy (tt & chainstays lenght, fork offset, stem...)

|

1/25/2016 6:13 AM

I just switched from a 50 to a 48 and it freaked me out how diff it felt. Its uber responsive what ive found is...

shorter stem will
1. Make it easier to go o.t.b. when going into.nose manuals but makes staying in them easier once you lock in.
2. Make 360s faster and feel.cooler somehow. Scientifically because yourr spinning and have a shorter bike's circumference it will take less effort to spin than with a longer one.
3. Makes getting into foot jams soooooo easy.
4. Makes the bike less comfortable/stable on high speeds and airing quarters.

Longer stem equals
1. More stability especially at higher speeds
2. (I believe) easier manual control.
3. Less comfortable (takes more muscle work) at lower speeds and tech stuff.

My advice. If you enjoy teching it out. Get a 48.. sexton, reynolds, most.of the kink and odyssey team and tons of street pros use 48s
If youre more into ramps and dirt, like airing and transitions or dont care too much for.tech shit get a 50+.

|

1/25/2016 7:11 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

I just switched from a 50 to a 48 and it freaked me out how diff it felt. Its uber responsive what ive found is...

shorter ...more

You're crazy if you think 2mm makes that much of a difference.

|

1/25/2016 7:15 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

shorter ...more

bobPA wrote:

I honestly thought the same until i did change my stem and noticed instantly the drastic difference in feeling. Of course you can do all the same stuff with a 53 and 48 mm stem but the feel is really diff. If you want to know why, feel free to ask ricany, sexton, morrow, garret, and a host of others why tjey insist on their signatute stems having 48mm reaches instead 50 or 53.

|

1/25/2016 7:20 AM

Also thats just my opinion. I could be wrong so do whatever you feel.like. my opinion is based off of personal experience so just sharing. I certainly noticed the difference in the 2mm reduction but maybe thats just me. ;-*

|

1/25/2016 8:59 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

shorter ...more

bobPA wrote:

Fuck no, try by yourself and you'll see how much a few millimeters here and there can affect the handling of a bike.

|

1/25/2016 6:40 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

shorter ...more

bobPA wrote:

Francky wrote:

Fuck no, try by yourself and you'll see how much a few millimeters here and there can affect the handling of a bike.

I have run many different stems and a few different offset forks. It really does that make that big of a difference...

|

1/25/2016 6:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2016 6:51 PM

Danscomp sizing chart says I should be riding a 20.5 toptube but i have a 20.85. I was thinking of getting a madera mast 42mm reach would that balance it out maybe even a 36mm reach? currently ridng 51mmm reach cult salvation.

|

1/25/2016 6:51 PM

Just ride it. I ride a 21.25. I'm 5'7".

|

1/25/2016 7:06 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Just ride it. I ride a 21.25. I'm 5'7".

But i need a new stem cause i cracked my old one...

|

1/26/2016 7:40 AM

What about 50mm is that good I'm riding a 52 at the moment will make a big difference.

|