Pinched Stem Help??

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2014 7:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2014 12:09 PM

Ok sorry about confusing you with all the incorrect sizes i gave you but, i guess my question is how do i fix a pinched stem. I bought the stem off of someone a while back and it must of been over tightened or tightened too much. I know a few of you answered on how to fix it but im still a little confused. I took the back bolts out but what do i need to do and could you be pretty specific. I have no shops around me

|

9/17/2014 8:07 PM

It's pinched
Take the back bolts out
Put them in the other side of the holes that they usually go in
Thrn thread them in until the head of the bolt is close to the other side of the stem.
Put a coin in between the bolt and the stem on both and tighten a 1/4 turn at a time until it slips off

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/17/2014 8:37 PM

this question makes no sense, the 1 & 1/8" refers to the steerer tube, the 3/8" refers to the dropout size.

|

9/17/2014 9:18 PM

Just hammer it off with a rubber mallet

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

9/18/2014 7:02 AM

just take it to your local shop since you don't know what you're doing

|

It’s all bmx

9/18/2014 8:31 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

It's pinched
Take the back bolts out
Put them in the other side of the holes that they usually go in
Thrn thread them in until ...more

This would work. Another tip is keep the bars on your stem when trying to get the stem off for leverage.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

9/18/2014 8:37 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

this question makes no sense, the 1 & 1/8" refers to the steerer tube, the 3/8" refers to the dropout size.

this. I was super confuzzled when I read it, and then I realized he probably had it tight before he put it on

just take it to a shop breh

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

9/18/2014 12:09 PM

Ok sorry about confusing you with all the incorrect sizes i gave you but, i guess my question is how do i fix a pinched stem. I bought the stem off of someone a while back and it must of been over tightened or tightened too much. I know a few of you answered on how to fix it but im still a little confused. I took the back bolts out but what do i need to do and could you be pretty specific. I have no shops around me

|

9/18/2014 2:15 PM

Take the pinch bolts all the way out and put a screwdriver in the crack push it so that its loose and pull jt off. I overtightened mine once too

|

9/18/2014 5:50 PM

popperking69 wrote:

Take the pinch bolts all the way out and put a screwdriver in the crack push it so that its loose and pull jt off. I ...more

dont do this

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/18/2014 7:37 PM

popperking69 wrote:

Take the pinch bolts all the way out and put a screwdriver in the crack push it so that its loose and pull jt off. I ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dont do this

Don't listen to this guy, thats a great idea

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

9/18/2014 8:17 PM

popperking69 wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dont do this

handlebar-to-face wrote:

Don't listen to this guy, thats a great idea

The coin method is always your first choice. But sometimes, some stems won't have the bolt hole threaded to be able to thread in the bolt from the outer side. If all fails, then use a screwdriver and pry it, which causes damage, obviously. But hey, better than having a permanently stuck stem.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/18/2014 8:42 PM

Will the coin method actually "un-pinch" it or will you need to use the coin everytime you decide to take off, put on or rotate the stem?

|

9/18/2014 8:44 PM

BLVCK wrote:

Will the coin method actually "un-pinch" it or will you need to use the coin everytime you decide to take off, put on or ...more

i think everytime
i left mine for a week by accident like that and it wasnt completely fixed, but it got on a lot easier, so maybe buyt dont count on it

|