Sticking to Brands

Related:
Create New Tag

11/21/2020 7:29 PM

When ya'll're building customs do you stick to 1-3 brands or, do yo just buy what's being sold.

|

11/21/2020 7:47 PM

I've never built a custom bike all in one go. I usually replace parts as they break or when I want need geo. With that said, when I add parts to a build I usually just try and get first the geo/spec I want, and second the color I want. After that I think about of the brands that fit those criteria which ones I have a higher opinion of.

|

11/21/2020 7:47 PM

I just buy what I like, brand doesn't matter, although I prefer made in the USA, or at least USA based companies...

|

11/22/2020 12:14 AM

I have a handful of brands I like and try to stick to. But it does depend on what’s available too. Sometimes I’ll pull the trigger on something more expensive just because it’s from a preferred brand

|

11/22/2020 11:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2020 11:02 AM

Whatever's affordable and will hold up is what I'll buy. Unless I really want something, I'm mostly on a budget.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/22/2020 11:10 AM

I have a few companies I’d turn To first but at the end of the day , getting the geo I want and the price I want is more important...since most product out there are the same quality

|

11/22/2020 12:17 PM

i'm building up a Kink bike with Mission parts. maybe Cinema wheels. probably Cinema wheels.

|

11/22/2020 1:06 PM

I stick to odyssey cult and Merritt mostly but I’m riding a primo seat just because it’s so comfy

|

smile

11/22/2020 3:05 PM

I tend to stick to a few brands. I still try others if the companies I like didn’t have the geometry I like or availability, I just tend to stick to what I know. Never rode shadow parts before except chains and bars, but got some shadow wheels during the coronacaust for a build because I couldn’t find Odysseys and they’ve been great so far.

|

11/22/2020 4:14 PM

I like WTP for frames and Odyssey for parts.

|

11/22/2020 6:07 PM

I tend to stick to certain brans but I'm always open to checking different shit out. Always Odyssey forks though.

|

Refs: Wade. Beastassdick. ScramHype Lee_Rager(x7) Spikez5 TCBmx Dolphin
With seller feedback and ref on Bmx-forum.com and PBNation.com. WhiteKinght

11/22/2020 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2020 6:18 PM

In my 20+ years of riding I've been pleasantly surprised by companies I thought sucked, and I've been deeply disappointed by companies I thought had great QC and stood behind their products. I'm willing to try a part from just about any brand if the specs are up to par, it's the color I like, and I feel like I'm getting a good price on it.

If you wanna be a fanboy then that's fine......probably makes the warranty issues easier if you're only dealing with a few companies. Manufacturing tends to be pretty comparable between brands these days but poor designs still exist, and that's really what seems to separate quality.

|

11/23/2020 4:18 AM

2702smth wrote:

When ya'll're building customs do you stick to 1-3 brands or, do yo just buy what's being sold.

Bought a lot based on price, and then color etc. in my early riding days.

Now it is based on what I know will hold up to my fat ass riding it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/23/2020 5:37 AM

some companies don't make everything so you have to spread yourself out. Cult seems to have everything you need.

|

11/23/2020 6:06 AM

i like to buy stuff from people i'm stoked on. i used to buy whatever was on on clearance when I was younger, hence why past bikes of mine were colorful. I bought the ugly colors that no one else did and then went on sale lol

|

It’s all bmx

11/23/2020 7:40 AM

ghostrider920 wrote:

some companies don't make everything so you have to spread yourself out. Cult seems to have everything you need.

Fly has a pretty complete parts list. Kink used to until they got smart and decided to push their tires/wheels over to Cinema.

|

11/23/2020 9:12 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Fly has a pretty complete parts list. Kink used to until they got smart and decided to push their tires/wheels over to Cinema.

Doesn’t fit also have a complete parts list other than their dogshit oem wheelset they sell

|

smile

11/24/2020 5:42 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I just buy what I like, brand doesn't matter, although I prefer made in the USA, or at least USA based companies...

This

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

11/24/2020 6:59 AM

ghostrider920 wrote:

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Doesn’t fit also have a complete parts list other than their dogshit oem wheelset they sell

Yeah, you're pretty much right. I guess we can add Colony to the list, they make everything. Does Subrosa count? Everything but wheels/brakes but most of their riders are on Shadow too so they've just about got everything covered.

|

11/24/2020 8:32 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Bought a lot based on price, and then color etc. in my early riding days.

Now it is based on what I know will hold up to my fat ass riding it.

Also I tend to aim for stuff the locals don't have.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/24/2020 8:33 AM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Yeah, you're pretty much right. I guess we can add Colony to the list, they make everything. Does Subrosa count? Everything but wheels/brakes but most of their riders are on Shadow too so they've just about got everything covered.

Yeah, this is the thing: some companies are one brand but split into different 'sectors', like WTP and Eclat, Sunday/Odyssey and Shadow/Subrosa. For example Eclat don't produce frames but WTP do and they're both owned by the same people so technically they do make everything. With Sunday/Odyssey/G-Sport. you could obviously say Odyssey dont make everything as they dont make frames, but technically their brand, Full factory does make everything as they own all 3 of those companies.

|

11/24/2020 9:49 AM

Michael Cranston wrote:

Yeah, this is the thing: some companies are one brand but split into different 'sectors', like WTP and Eclat, Sunday/Odyssey and Shadow/Subrosa. For example Eclat don't produce frames but WTP do and they're both owned by the same people so technically they do make everything. With Sunday/Odyssey/G-Sport. you could obviously say Odyssey dont make everything as they dont make frames, but technically their brand, Full factory does make everything as they own all 3 of those companies.

Add Radio to the WTP/Eclat combo. Oddly Radio makes many parts. Seems to be a best of both worlds/ other types of bikes brand with Dirt Jumpers and BMX race stuff.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/24/2020 10:11 AM

Droogskull wrote:

I tend to stick to certain brans but I'm always open to checking different shit out. Always Odyssey forks though.

Bought odyssey forks but couldn't separate from Animal.. they just felt so nice.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

11/24/2020 10:31 AM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Michael Cranston wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Add Radio to the WTP/Eclat combo. Oddly Radio makes many parts. Seems to be a best of both worlds/ other types of bikes brand with Dirt Jumpers and BMX race stuff.

My bad i forgot about radio too. Like full factory they have a huge selection of stuff.

|

11/24/2020 11:05 AM

Brian fox radio frame looks dope I kind of want one Brian fox is a beast

|

11/24/2020 11:57 AM

I used to be more concerned with maintaining brand consistency on a build, but now I just build to spec...if a component meets my requirements I will go with it. Example: just did a new build after selling A LOT of parts. Despite having Eclat Cranks/pedals, I used a Cult BB. It’s a pretty minor part, but the Eclat BB has really weird spacer components, while the Cult BB fits perfectly in an S&M shell. I think my current setup has 10 brands?

Frame, Stem, seatpost, Sprocket: S&M
Bars: BSD
Headset: Federal
Grips: Merritt
Forks: Odyssey
Rims, hubs: GSport
Seat: primo
Cranks, pedals, tires: Eclat
Chain: Shadow
BB: Cult

|

11/24/2020 5:41 PM

fit, s&m, flybikes, odyssey and profile were always my go to's for major components. I used other random brands from time to time too though. currently trying to build a mid school bike based on a fly frame but sourcing parts isn't that easy.

|

11/24/2020 8:53 PM

Unless my homies are on a company my parts are far from uniform. I'm currently running all Merritt parts (except cranks & forks. I love primo powerbytes & Merritt doesn't make forks) because most of my homies ride for them. But I'm wanting to add variety to my bike so I might switch brands up when things start wearing down.

|

11/25/2020 4:48 AM

does anyone here have a sponsorship or something? any government grants to ride Hell in a community?

|

11/27/2020 10:31 AM

Depends on the circumstances im in really.
I like to stick to well established brands i really like that put stuff back in to the community. But if something breaks and stops me riding for the foreseeable ill look at just about any company.

In an ideal world id love run a bike built up using only one or two manufacturers parts, but most of the time thats just not possible either practically or financially for me.

Im making a solid effort on saving up for a T1 barcode just now, but thats a very rare ‘shit or bust’ decision for me. Ive always wanted one as a kid and was hyped when T1 got back to me in a recent email that a batch of barcodes are due out in the not too distant future.

|