Stolen Team 2.5 Cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

1/30/2014 7:01 PM

Before anyone tells me to search for the answer, I've already read a ton of threads and I've done everything they say.

I just bought these cranks and I can not get the left crank onto the spindle. I took the other crank (which is attached to the spindle) off my bike so I could see if the crank would slide onto the spindle when they are just in my hands, not on the bike. I got it about half a centimeter onto the spindle and couldn't get it any farther. I even put a thin rag down on the top of the work bench and slammed the crank onto it over and over, trying to get it onto the spindle. Like I beat the fuck out of it as hard as I could. It just wouldn't go. I've greased the absolute fuck out of the spindle and the inside of the crank but it won't go on.

I got them for $30 off from the scratch and dent section on danscomp, because they had a few scratches in the paint. Is it possible that the splines were somehow damaged too? I was thinking maybe someone bought them, couldn't get them on, scratched them a little bit by accident, then sent them back to danscomp and then danscomp resold them to me. I mean I don't think danscomp would do that, but you never know...

Anyone who gives me a solution to this will have the satisfaction of being my best friend

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

1/30/2014 7:04 PM

use more grease & a crank arm tool

|

1/30/2014 7:11 PM

Crank arm tool and a pipe wrench. Also post pics of the splines. What you said could have happened and they just not known about the spline problem.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/30/2014 7:48 PM

Although some cranks will slide together by hand, a lot of cranks are made with really tight tolerances and will not go together without using a proper install tool. Did the cranks come with any instructions or a tool that looks like a bolt that you can use to press the cranks together with?

Sometimes threads do come messed up on cranks, but you can usually see the damage pretty obviously.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

1/30/2014 8:24 PM

They are extremely tight... if they are loose then they will wobble. I used a hammer to get it on enough for the bolt to catch then used a 6 mm and a pipe to get it the rest of the way. Once you get them on though they will be the best cranks you have ever owned.. and you got it for 30 becuase of scratches? =( i paid like 130 for them new(or whatever they retail for...)

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

1/30/2014 8:39 PM

Hammer that shit with a rubber mallet , or WD40 the spindle and see if you can take it off. You probaly fucked the splines man

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/30/2014 8:40 PM

That's a ridiculous price.... But all my 48-spline cranks I've ran have always broken in and with grease, I can easily take the crank arm on and off without crank tools. I never use those and never hope to. Aligning is pretty easy in my opinion too.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/30/2014 9:00 PM

Yeah post a photo of the splines, inside the crank arm too. In my experiences with new 48 spline cranks, they're usually pretty tough to get on the first time. My Animal cranks I swear would never go on, but I beat the shit out of the arm till it slid on the spindle enough to get the crank arm tool to work, even then it was hard as shit tightening the tool to press the crank on.. After a few days though I realized my internal BB spacer was too short & I needed to take them off, and they slide right off with only small taps

|

1/30/2014 10:48 PM

They didn't come with a tool or instructions or anything, just the cranks and bolts. I can't see any damage on the splines but I'll check again. And sorry for the mix up with the price, I meant I saved $30 from the original price. I definitely didn't get them for $30 haha. Anyways, thanks for the help everybody, I'll post some pictures tomorrow

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

1/31/2014 11:42 AM

Here's some pictures

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/31/2014 11:44 AM

Sorry it's difficult to see, but in the second picture of the spindle, near the bottom and a little bit to the right, you can definitely see some damage. However, I haven't been able to get the crank on nearly that far, so I know I didn't do that. And, since the crank has never been on that far, that can't be the reason why it isn't going on. There has to be something farther up the spindle

|

1/31/2014 11:52 AM

Doesn't look messed up. Get it on as far as possible and tape a piece of wood to the crank arm and beat the shit out of it with a hammer. Or buyna crank tool. Maybe try putting your bike in a vice by the cranks and keep clamping down to push it on?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/31/2014 11:57 AM

It looks ok. If you are having trouble, just head down to your local bike shop and ask them to install it. They should have lots of spare time right now and it will probably only cost $20-$30 depending on the shop I'm sure.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder

1/31/2014 12:10 PM

The nearest bike shop to me is an hour away though., and I've had a few bad experiences with them so I'd rather do it myself. If I lived in Edmonton I'd definitely go to Transition. I'll try putting it in a vice. They're for my spare bike anyways so even if I get them on and then can't get them off, I don't really care, as long as they're on the bike and ridable.

|

2/1/2014 5:55 AM

Hmm, do you have an install tool from the cranks off your other bike then? Maybe it will work?

All an install tool really is, is a bolt that threads in to the spindle and pulls the crank arm on from the outside as you tighten it. So if you have some sort of bolt and washers that will work you can try making a tool yourself. If you can get it on far enough you can just use the crank bolt to pull it the rest of the way.

Good luck and make sure to grease that bitch haha!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder

2/1/2014 9:50 AM

see this is why i bought thunderbolts

|

2/1/2014 1:18 PM

ultrasonic wrote:

see this is why i bought thunderbolts

That cluster piece that was invented is such a fuckin bitch sometimes..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke