Stolen talon 1/2 link chain issues.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2018 12:27 PM

So my kit came with a stolen 1/2 link chain.
Everything was going smooth until I put the chain on upside down. F@#*.
Go to break the chain. Chain breaker rod gets stuck in chain. Struggle to get the pin free. Get it free, but destroy the link and master link pin replacing it. Break a new link and remove the broken one. Chain breaker stuck again. This time breaking off the post in the chain. Now I have a broken chain breaker and a useless chain. This chain is the most retarded chain I have ever used.

|

2/7/2018 12:28 PM

Anyway I need a chain. Any recommendations?

|

2/7/2018 12:32 PM

Bsd.

|

2/7/2018 12:35 PM

Kmc710

|

2/7/2018 12:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 12:58 PM

What that Canadian fellow said. Half links are shite.

|

2/7/2018 1:00 PM

Sounds like user error to me. I've broken chain breakers, plenty of times, and it's usually from being impatient, and trying to force pins out. A hammer and nail can work sometimes, in a pinch too.

|

2/7/2018 2:23 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Kmc710

This.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/7/2018 2:37 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Sounds like user error to me. I've broken chain breakers, plenty of times, and it's usually from being impatient, and trying ...more

Normally I would agree, but I have been breaking chains for years. From BMX to Mx, to my r6. I do know how to properly use the tool with all due respect.
The issue is the id of the hole that the pin slides through is a fraction smaller then the od of the breaker pin. Getting stuck. I swooped a new chain and breaker. Had zero issues breaking and putting it on. And didn't break the tool. So I think it was the chain. Maybe my breaker was only for motorcycles, so if that is the case then it was 100% user error. But I don't think it's motorcycle specific.

|

2/7/2018 2:37 PM

jbales wrote:

Care to elaborate for a new era BMX noob. All this new stuff is too much lol

|

2/7/2018 2:47 PM

jbales wrote:

Gr1z wrote:

Care to elaborate for a new era BMX noob. All this new stuff is too much lol

Half links do suck yes, except for the Shadow Supreme chain, but thats like $50... but the way half link style is, the way the link is bent, the chain wants to stretch out and become straight. So they stretch for a while and just strech out ALOT....

|

2/7/2018 2:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 2:58 PM

Whoever decided to make a chain out of all half links is an idiot that thought it would look cool. If it's not working out length wise with a regular chain, all you need is to add a single half link.

|

2/7/2018 3:15 PM

jbales wrote:

Whoever decided to make a chain out of all half links is an idiot that thought it would look cool. If it's not working out ...more

It's not to look cool though, there are reasons for it. They work better with smaller drive trains (like 22/8) and supposedly take impacts better. I do agree though, my experience with half links have been shit, plus they stretch way too much.

|

2/7/2018 3:18 PM

Had a half link chain once snapped twice in a week,your better off with a bsd chain(the one the comes with one half link only)

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

2/7/2018 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 8:08 PM

Get an odyssey keychain and run it without the masterlinks! I have no more issues with my keychains. The threaded master link "pins" break sometimes but the chain links, pins and rollers themselves are burly. I hit my chain all the time on concrete and these chains are troopers!

My whole chain looks like this.
And Im the second owner of this particular chain. wink Photo

|

2/7/2018 8:28 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Get an odyssey keychain and run it without the masterlinks! I have no more issues with my keychains. The threaded master link ...more

Wait, you reused the pins in the Keychain?

|

2/7/2018 9:16 PM

You can really only reuse a pin once, and that's during installation. If you keep removing it at the same link, that's why it breaks. Every time you push a pin out, it will weaken that link. If you do it more than once, it's way more likely to snap there.

|

2/7/2018 9:27 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Get an odyssey keychain and run it without the masterlinks! I have no more issues with my keychains. The threaded master link ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Wait, you reused the pins in the Keychain?

I do it often. The pins on the hollow version and the solid pin version are burly and dont work loose ime. wink

|

2/7/2018 9:35 PM

jbales wrote:

Whoever decided to make a chain out of all half links is an idiot that thought it would look cool. If it's not working out ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

It's not to look cool though, there are reasons for it. They work better with smaller drive trains (like 22/8) and supposedly ...more

Where did you get that bit of info?

Whenever I ran 8t religiously, I was always warned about running a half link on it. Shadow Interlock v2 didn't fit properly and the Cult Half Link was barely better. The chain links would bottom out on the driver before the roller would sit fully into its seat, causing a whole world of problems. Full links were the only chains that seemed to fit just right.

But as said above, Half Links are a shit design to begin with. It's completely illogical to have a bend in the link of a chain that's always under tension. The Shadow Interlock Supreme is the only exception, as it uses forged links instead of bent ones. Also features a lifetime warranty, icing on the cake.

And @ OP it really sounds like user error to me. I've never actually used a motorcycle chain breaker, but I've seen motorcycle chains and the pins are certainly larger thank bicycle chains'. It only makes sense, to me at least, that a motorcycle breaker would have a larger pin in it.. You cant really blame the company or the part for you using an improper tool..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/7/2018 9:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 9:44 PM

jbales wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

It's not to look cool though, there are reasons for it. They work better with smaller drive trains (like 22/8) and supposedly ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Whenever I ran 8t religiously, I was always warned about running a half link on it. ...more

Im really wanting to try out a supreme chain. I have some riding buddies that run them and they picked them up used and have no issues.

Both of the riders I know personally that own one dont grind though...

I really think the half link design is flawed (except for the forged plates from shadow).

|

2/7/2018 9:54 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Whenever I ran 8t religiously, I was always warned about running a half link on it. ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Im really wanting to try out a supreme chain. I have some riding buddies that run them and they picked them up used and have ...more

I can promise you that it's 10x better than that Keypain.. Love the design of the over-sized rollers & the idea of the Allen pin, but fact of the matter is that the links are too damn thin around the pin holes! After a few months, I was snapping links around the pins just about every session.

My last Supreme lasted nearly 2 years and only broke once due to me breaking a chunk off a link with sprocket stalls. It's with its second owner now still going strong & I've got a brand new one waiting to go on the new ride. Thing is pretty damn indestructible, and I personally think that + the lifetime warranty makes it well worth the money. Only con to it really is how heavy it is, but that's a given with any "indestructible" chain (KMC 415H / Wipperman 1G8.)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/7/2018 10:07 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Im really wanting to try out a supreme chain. I have some riding buddies that run them and they picked them up used and have ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I can promise you that it's 10x better than that Keypain.. Love the design of the over-sized rollers & the idea of the ...more

I might have to pick one up after Im done torturing this chain! Lol

I really like the keychain even better with it hard pinned. Its solid. After I snapped a few masterpins i was constantly worried about it happening while pedaling up a hill or pedaling hard from a standstill... No longer! The pins can handle poppining em out and reinstalling. I hit a ledge HARD a few weeks back and peeled a plate off. I took it home and used my chain tool to pop the plate back on and it has stayed put!

I have hit my chain pretty hard numerous times since then. Destroyed the stock sprocket since then and bent a tooth and collapsed a tooth on my new srocket already! Chain is fine. smile

After this brand new sprocket bent I ended up switching my drivetrain to the left side and it no longer hits as frequently but I still mess up here and there and slide out on feebles and pedal feebles. Smacked it a few good times today actually. Dented my chainstays messing up on pedal feebles (my drivetrain side now). Chain has only scratches!

Ill definitely pick up a supreme sometime but Im so happy with my keychains now after deleting the master pins/links. They really are the weakest point.

|

2/7/2018 10:14 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Numerous people on the board over the years. Shadow links are different/have a larger shape than other half links, compare to a KMC for example

Photo

Are you sure you weren't warned about running an 8t in general, because they're not very good to begin with but the smaller links in a half link should (theoretically) wrap around it better than a full link chain. That obviously depends on what chains are being used too. I've only known one person who ran an 8t with a KMC half link and he never had problems with that, but then again he didn't ride it very long cause he didn't like not being able to take his chain apart easily

|

2/7/2018 10:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 10:25 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Numerous people on the board over the years. Shadow links are different/have a larger shape than other half links, compare to ...more

Well of course I was warned about 8t in general. Primo seemed to have it on lock with the needle bearings though. However, the way that I tore through chains was ridiculous with an 8t, so I should have listened.

I actually recall it being listed on Danscomp that Half link chains wouldn't work with 8t drivers. That being said, the only 2 I tried to put on my 8t were the Shadow and the Cult (KMC made.) Never tried it with an actual KMC.

Also, Half Links don't use smaller links? The distance between the pins is always the same whether it's a full link chain or not. Otherwise, they wouldn't fit on the teeth at all. The only difference between a Half Link and a Full Link is that the Half Links bends over and under the other Half Links, where a Full Link just has inner and outer links.

|

2/7/2018 10:42 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Well of course I was warned about 8t in general. Primo seemed to have it on lock with the needle bearings though. However, the ...more

yeah it puts too much strain on the whole drive train. And I meant the shape is smaller, look at a Shadow half link then look at the KMC above. The "outer" links on a Shadow have a different/larger shape, I'm not talking about the distance between the pins. It's also why looking at the KMC pictured above would be a bit hard to tell if it's on upside down or not, and the Shadow you can clearly tell which side is up.

I think that's probably why you had issues with it as the different shaped Shadow links would ride up a bit more on a smaller driver as opposed to one like the KMC

|

2/7/2018 10:53 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Numerous people on the board over the years. Shadow links are different/have a larger shape than other half links, compare to ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Well of course I was warned about 8t in general. Primo seemed to have it on lock with the needle bearings though. However, the ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yeah it puts too much strain on the whole drive train. And I meant the shape is smaller, look at a Shadow half link then look ...more

That makes sense. I just don't think that half-links were made with the intent to be easier to run on an 8t like you had said. In fact, Dan's even advertised not to run them on 8ts.

Also I guess I'm just out of it and don't get this part of your comment "but the smaller links in a half link should (theoretically) wrap around it better than a full link chain."
Sounded to me like you're saying half links should wrap around the driver better, but there's not actually any reason that they would.. Full links & Half Links really aren't much different other than shape of the links and durability. Still the same distance pin-to-pin and generally the same amount of material around the pins (excluding Shadow.)

|

2/8/2018 12:04 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

That makes sense. I just don't think that half-links were made with the intent to be easier to run on an 8t like you had said. ...more

Danscomp isn't always right. Shadow themselves have it listed to work with 8t and up

https://shop.theshadowconspiracy.com/shop/parts-accessories/chains/tsc-interlock-chain-v2.html

Compatible with 8T driver and up

Half links can wrap around tighter, maybe not much tighter but enough to make a difference. took me forever to find my Shadow chain but I'll post photos up of what I mean. There's a tiny bit less of a gap in between the chain links and the driver on the half link because they hug it just the tiniest bit more which is why they're allegedly more ideal for micro gearing. also probably why half links can eat your driver up more cause they dig in a lot more than full links do

|

2/8/2018 12:04 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yeah it puts too much strain on the whole drive train. And I meant the shape is smaller, look at a Shadow half link then look ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

That makes sense. I just don't think that half-links were made with the intent to be easier to run on an 8t like you had said. ...more

That’s what I thought. The rollers are the same spacing. It’s just an optical illusion to some people.

|

2/8/2018 12:05 AM

Photo

Photo

|

2/8/2018 12:15 AM

It’s an illusion. The plates are hugging the driver, not the actual rollers.

|

2/8/2018 12:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2018 12:47 AM

jbales wrote:

It’s an illusion. The plates are hugging the driver, not the actual rollers.

I agree.

If you ignore the plates, roller to roller should be the same distance.and since it takes 2 plates to mount the two rollers it is creating the same hold. Underneathe the half-link overlap is the same roller to roller distance.

Not sure Im explaining that correctly.

Just picture a left and right half-link joined together by two pins. Nothing else

Take two inner (or outer) left and right full link plates and join them together with 2 pins.

Same distance. smile

|