Stop my stem from slipping?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2013 1:17 PM

So yesterday I swapped my stem with my friend. I gave a salt+ front load I got a salt+ topload.

The stem always makes my bars move back a lot.

I've tightened the bolts a lot and it still slips.

What do I do now?

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

8/21/2013 1:21 PM

Did you tighten them equally in the right pattern?

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/21/2013 1:29 PM

three things... 1. BE A MAN! TIGHTEN THAT SHIT. 2. Make sure you do the right pattern 3. Make sure you have the right hex key standard or metric depending on the bolt, This will affect your tightening ability And make sure you can get enough leverage.

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

8/21/2013 1:38 PM

Four wrote:

Did you tighten them equally in the right pattern?

top left
bottom right
bottom left
top right

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

8/21/2013 3:47 PM

sand the paint off of the knurling?

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/21/2013 6:16 PM

Throw some pennies in that bitch.
Or sand, and make sure your threads are still in tact

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

8/21/2013 9:22 PM

Just sand the paint off the inside of the stem, if that doesn't work get a star washer.

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

8/21/2013 10:43 PM

when you tighten in the 'correct pattern', do you slowly tighten each bolt or do you fully tighten each bolt?

clean everything.
Then grease the THREADS of the bolts. This will allow you to tighten them tighter.

|

8/21/2013 10:45 PM

i had this same problem, what i did was take a wrench and used it to get leverage on the allen wrench to get them tight AF

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/21/2013 10:53 PM

My stem has never slipped (knock on wood). I always clean the inside of the stem and knurling on the bars super good, and I always grease the stem bolts just a bit. And I use pegs or something for leverage on an allen key cause I don't wanna use a ratchet cause I might tighten so much that my bars will snap. I've seen people on here who ridiculously tighten their stems all the fuckin way down and snap the clamping area clean off inside of their stem. Just get it as tight as you can with the right metric size allen and try not to strip the bolts.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/22/2013 4:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2013 4:59 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

My stem has never slipped (knock on wood). I always clean the inside of the stem and knurling on the bars super good, and I always grease the stem bolts just a bit. And I use pegs or something for leverage on an allen key cause I don't wanna use a ratchet cause I might tighten so much that my bars will snap. I've seen people on here who ridiculously tighten their stems all the fuckin way down and snap the clamping area clean off inside of their stem. Just get it as tight as you can with the right metric size allen and try not to strip the bolts.

Haha... I bent my bars from tightening my stem so tight.

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨