Street Damage

Related:
Create New Tag

3/22/2021 7:13 PM

I feel the more I ride, the more I can't stand to damage property.. I never liked it.. I started riding more rails than ledges, switched to plastic because I felt metals disturb the peace and chip and scratch property. I don't get how riders cut rails and other things from spots, I would feel so terrible.. cuz it's not mine!! yknow?

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня

3/22/2021 7:21 PM

For sure, the best spots are those spots you can hit 24/7 because nobody really cares. If you got to go in on a banger spot, best leave no trace. Hit it on a Sunday late evening and don’t make a big deal about, pack it in and pack it out!

|

My mom thinks I’m special

3/22/2021 8:12 PM

It’s dope travelling around and seeing wallride marks on walls , each Mark has a story , but yeah try not to destroy stuff , unless you got a beater car like in the little devil video

|

3/22/2021 10:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2021 9:49 PM

Yeah I get where you're coming from but in South Central
and DTLA people don't really give a shit about things looking beat up and Id give a shit about Roughing stuff up in the nicer parts of L.A but then I remember the U.S is Stolen land, I was born and will die in poverty, trickle down economics don't work plus my Navajo Ancestors would probably think it's pretty rad.

But it's a different mentality here in Cali you got tons of people, huge Class disparity, Systemic Racial Segregation, It's the Fertile Crescent of Skateboarding and BMX so people are kinda used to it too. Almost every good ledge is already black with wax and has a couple chips in it, you'll see wallrides marks on some of the wildest shit here (Ty Morrow 👀)

I personally like riding ruined buildings/structures and garbage people tossed out by the Trash bin. I've had hours of fun doing jibs on an old flat screen tv someone threw out. But it's a dumb juvenile smug feeling of "fuck you rich assholes" when I haul ass into a screeching
metal pegs Feeble on a fresh DRY brick ledge in the Middle of Westwood(most expensive neighborhood in L.A)

When you don't have much it's dumb little spiteful shit that makes you smile I guess.

EDIT: also worth mentioning Skaters are kinda territorial with the skateparks here, and surprisingly a grip of Skateparks here don't allow bikes which just gives them more reason to be an asshole.

|

3/22/2021 10:51 PM

I BLAME LAWYERs

|

wallride a bus everyday

3/22/2021 10:54 PM

Exactly, which is why I like riding park. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/23/2021 4:48 AM

I ride park 99% of the time because I have limited time to ride and it gives me what I want. Stuff to ride VS spending the little time I have trying to seek something out.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/23/2021 6:47 AM

you don't always need to ruin things to have fun riding street....there are plenty of gaps, ditches, and loading docks that can be ridden and have a blast

some abandoned buildings could also be your best friend if you are worried about ruining someone's property

|

3/23/2021 7:51 AM

younggotti wrote:

you don't always need to ruin things to have fun riding street....there are plenty of gaps, ditches, and loading docks that can be ridden and have a blast

some abandoned buildings could also be your best friend if you are worried about ruining someone's property

This.

Banks, curbs, even just monster trucking down some stairs can be fun.

Street does not only mean grind stuff.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/23/2021 8:19 AM

I think there's a place for it. I wouldn't grind a garden wall of someone's house. But, we're products of our environment. Bmxers have never been catered for, so if the council build some smooth concrete ledges, yep, I'm riding them. I'd never purposefully damage anything, which is the beauty of plastic pedals I guess. But if it gets damaged, I've already paid for it out of my taxes.

|

3/23/2021 8:26 AM

maybe if you ride stuff like that they'll replace it. then at that point you can find a new spot.

|

3/23/2021 11:19 AM

Ever since I got back into riding last year, I've done mostly park. Lately though, I've been leaning more toward street. Love that technical street style. Like someone already mentioned, street isn't only grinding. You can jump on and off ledges, manual, transition into a hop on a ledge again and into a nose manual and so on. It can be loop after loop of fun. When we were kids back in the late 80s early 90s, all we rode was street and we didn't mess any property up. Don't remember there being skateparks honestly.

|

3/23/2021 12:07 PM

U dint need pegs to kill it on street. Wallrides and manuals and gaps and all permutations. They can always repaint walls. Riding ghetto spots in industrial areas is usually a good time. Most gaps dont usually cause any damage.
If you dont ride pegs it forces you to be more creative.

Example: Sick street line w/pegs.
*Approach a Foot tall ledge at 2 MPH.*
Smith grind it, then feeble to 180, to a dead stop. *Peldal exactly once. Shin high ledges. Smith. Feeble 180 again to dead stop.
Did I say smith grind? Because do smith grinds. 5 PSI Gang. Followed by Clap-clap hug snaps.
BOOM! You have a Cult edit.

|

3/23/2021 12:13 PM

SlavBMX wrote:

I feel the more I ride, the more I can't stand to damage property.. I never liked it.. I started riding more rails than ledges, switched to plastic because I felt metals disturb the peace and chip and scratch property. I don't get how riders cut rails and other things from spots, I would feel so terrible.. cuz it's not mine!! yknow?

Respect for peoples property is a good thing, good on you man. +1

|

3/23/2021 1:24 PM

I’m pretty much at the point where I ride pegless unless I am going to our township park...which only has a few rails. Even then, there are other things I’d rather try than just grinding.

Had to pick something up at my daughter’s school today and seeing grind marks on the benches of a brand new school really pissed me off. I get it, grinding is fun and I did a lot more property destruction when I was younger, but as a taxpayer I get pretty indignant now.

|

3/23/2021 3:32 PM

If the town/city didn't want me to ride that perfect ledge they just put in, they wouldn't have made it such a perfect ledge to ride... As long as it's not someone's home property, anything's fair game. Or if there's a wallride right next to big glass windows or something, I won't ride that either. But ledges, rails, banks, storm doors, manual pads, I'm gonna ride it until someone kicks me out or I get bored of it.

Disagree with it all you want but I'm not gonna NOT ride something just because someone on the internet will tell me I'm a bad person for grinding a ledge and putting a small chunk in it or grinding the paint off a rail. I already know I'm a bad person I don't care

|

3/23/2021 4:06 PM

younggotti wrote:

Yesssss!!! I love big drops and curbs!!

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня

3/23/2021 11:59 PM

Uhh no i ride bikes i get pussy i smoke herb all for the love of the game. Charge it to the streets mothafucka

|

13 years old

3/24/2021 12:04 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If the town/city didn't want me to ride that perfect ledge they just put in, they wouldn't have made it such a perfect ledge to ride... As long as it's not someone's home property, anything's fair game. Or if there's a wallride right next to big glass windows or something, I won't ride that either. But ledges, rails, banks, storm doors, manual pads, I'm gonna ride it until someone kicks me out or I get bored of it.

Disagree with it all you want but I'm not gonna NOT ride something just because someone on the internet will tell me I'm a bad person for grinding a ledge and putting a small chunk in it or grinding the paint off a rail. I already know I'm a bad person I don't care

Exactly. If you guys wanna feel like good people for respecting concrete, fine, good for you. I’d rather recognize that i’m a bad guy, and enjoy my life. The way i see it, if i have any purpose at all in the world, it is to ride my bike on stuff that was not meant to have bikes ridden on it. Other people might think that their purpose is to stop me, and that’s fine. I don’t have to hate someone for doing their job of stopping me, but i will also never stop. And i can accept the consequences. So don’t give me shit for breaking out grind stoppers and riding where i please. Just get out of my way, and let me get in trouble.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/24/2021 4:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/24/2021 4:25 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I think there's a place for it. I wouldn't grind a garden wall of someone's house. But, we're products of our environment. Bmxers have never been catered for, so if the council build some smooth concrete ledges, yep, I'm riding them. I'd never purposefully damage anything, which is the beauty of plastic pedals I guess. But if it gets damaged, I've already paid for it out of my taxes.

*Unless it is privately owned business

THAT is the difference. If some guy put a building up and made rad ledges, that would not be tax-funded. If it is at a park or city hall, then it would be.

I'm the same though, I go with the intent to have fun, but not trash things.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/24/2021 6:03 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Exactly. If you guys wanna feel like good people for respecting concrete, fine, good for you. I’d rather recognize that i’m a bad guy, and enjoy my life. The way i see it, if i have any purpose at all in the world, it is to ride my bike on stuff that was not meant to have bikes ridden on it. Other people might think that their purpose is to stop me, and that’s fine. I don’t have to hate someone for doing their job of stopping me, but i will also never stop. And i can accept the consequences. So don’t give me shit for breaking out grind stoppers and riding where i please. Just get out of my way, and let me get in trouble.

Haha well said! Yea man, I didn't mean to lecture or get people on nerves. I just felt like getting something off my back (that's personally formed) and thought it was a fun thought. If BMX was priority for me I probably would be doing the same, maybe.. lol... Keep riding, cutting if you need to, love your stuff man.

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня

3/24/2021 6:04 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I think grinding/not grinding is more of a function of which spots you choose to ride. For the past year working from home, it seems like I am never off the clock...and I lead strictly international sales regions, which means the clock never stops. Assuming the weather is nice, I can usually sneak in an hour or so a day. This means that my spots are very local in a high-end suburb township of a couple thousand people.

That being said, to the east of me is Pottstown. To the west of me is Reading. Allentown is to the north. All of these are sketchy, run-down, tier-2 cities that began falling apart when the steel/rail industries disappeared. When I do ride these cities, which is not often...yeah fuck concrete, I’m strapping on the steel.

I bring my bike with me when I travel...but only to Europe. When I get to my hotel room I build in my room and then hit the streets. The reason why only Europe is because:

1. Cities are typically smaller and easier to get around
2. I know the cities better and know which areas I can ride more aggressively (pegless west end London, metal pegs east end)
3. The cops are more westernized and the laws are more similar to the US...I would NEVER bring my whip to China, Hong Kong, or Singapore.

I don’t think it’s a matter of respecting concrete, being a good/bad person...it’s more just having the situational awareness of where you are riding and choosing not to shit where you eat.

|

3/24/2021 8:59 AM

um you literally pay TAXES for city infrastructure maintenance. and if its a private property, if they can pay some lazy fat fuck security guard to stand around there all day, then they can pay to have the spot repaired every now and again.

|

3/24/2021 9:22 AM

.pegless. wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

THAT is the difference. If some guy put a building up and made rad ledges, that would not be tax-funded. If it is at a park or city hall, then it would be.

Privately owned business is fair game. Literally just residential property I won't touch. That could change if I find a decent hubba though

|

3/25/2021 4:43 AM

.pegless. wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

Privately owned business is fair game. Literally just residential property I won't touch. That could change if I find a decent hubba though

Agreed, I am saying that taxes don't pay for that private businesses ledges etc. Most businesses are privately owned. I will hit their stuff when I ride street, but I won't try to trash the spots.

As to respecting the concrete etc-as I have said, I don't go out to intentionally destroy anything when I ride street. Chips might happen. But I am not slamming down on things.

I'd rather keep a low profile as a whole-I don't need to gain a criminal record for riding, minimizing run-ins with police is my goal, and I don't want local City Council folks learning that BMX can damage stuff. That kind of thing makes it harder to get legal spots to ride-and I would rather have more legit spots. "Why would we spend money on something that will get damaged" is a common question when it comes to skateparks etc.

And before any kids try to call me out, I am more calculated about it. I'm 35, I started riding before most of you were conceived. I've done the whole "I'm a rebel because I don't care if I trash a spot" thing. I'm at a point in life where I realized it's stupid. You are not some "badass" or "anti-establishment" person for riding a bike and doing little tricks on stuff. You are riding a bike and doing tricks on stuff. That's it. There's nothing really hardcore about it. Especially you kids who LIVE IN THE SUBURBS.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/25/2021 3:14 PM

Not a fan of damaging stuff. It doesn't make our sport look cool.

|

3/25/2021 5:04 PM

Part of the fun of the big street rides in San Francisco was running from the cops from spot to spot. Most of the damage is on stuff that doesn't need to be perfect anyways

|

3/29/2021 4:49 AM

I can promise you any Mayor isn't working or sweating anything you do on your bike.

They typically have no idea that BMX exists unless you have brought it to their attention in some way via trying to get a skatepark or literally running into them on the streets.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura