Street Spokes and what not?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/9/2013 11:29 AM

So I just got to thinking and I thought of a "Street Spoke" basically take a normal spoke and thicken it up, not like butting it, do it throughout the whole spoke and as well with the spoke nipples, sure it will weigh a bit more (still there would be barely any difference in the actual weight of the bike) but of course it would be for street riding. Of course you would need to possibly make the spoke hole diameter on the rim a bit larger but still, I honestly think this is not a pretty bad idea, anyone think there will be something like this in the later years of bmx?

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

10/9/2013 11:37 AM

Different gauge spokes already exist in other forms of bikes. i do not see a need for a larger gauge spoke in BMX. and yes your hub/rim has to have larger spoke holes which means a larger flange on the hub in most cases. My co-worker drilled out a 20" alienation runaway to fit the larger gauge spokes for a guy that had a motor mounted on a 20" bike.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

10/9/2013 11:43 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Different gauge spokes already exist in other forms of bikes. i do not see a need for a larger gauge spoke in BMX. and yes your hub/rim has to have larger spoke holes which means a larger flange on the hub in most cases. My co-worker drilled out a 20" alienation runaway to fit the larger gauge spokes for a guy that had a motor mounted on a 20" bike.

yeah i see what you are saying, i should have thought about this earlier because i saw the bone deth interbike '13 video, and they said there would be a 48 spoke wheel available. and of course we have hub guards but i guess having a larger spoke without the hub guard or a larger number of smaller spokes would just look cleaner

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

10/9/2013 11:45 AM

Just get non butted straight gauge steel spokes. They're cheap as dirt and by far the best, compared to all those thin ass butted ones or titanium/aluminum ones. I haven't broken one in two years of riding street with them.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/9/2013 1:47 PM

Thicker spokes may not mean much weight for the wheels, BUT rotational weight will be very noticeable and make the bike feel VERY different.

Larger spokes were in BMX years ago, they were heavier, made things a bit stiffer, but they realized that you can typically get away with a well built 36h wheel laced 3x. Obviously BMX has changed over the years, but the wheels are being built stronger, so larger spokes aren't as needed.

If you break them all the time, then learn to tension spokes correctly, quit landing sideways while hauling ass, and/or learn to grind on your pegs better.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/9/2013 1:50 PM

I still ride 48 in the rear.....don't think that will ever change

|

10/9/2013 3:12 PM

Yeah its a good idea but there's not that much of a need for it especially if 48h is going to make a comeback. I thought I would always break spokes with my old stock rim but then I got a Birdcage and was amazed at how much stronger it is(still comes out of true a little too much but I haven't broke a spoke since I got it in march). I also stopped doing stupid shit like eskimo said and hauling ass and going down a drive way and whipping your back end out and stupid shit like that.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

10/9/2013 5:40 PM

you could have it thicken right after it comes from the nipple and the hub and i hope 48 comes back big i loved them but they are all gone now ;( best friend snapps spokes every day just how hard he lands his full cabs

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

10/9/2013 6:11 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Thicker spokes may not mean much weight for the wheels, BUT rotational weight will be very noticeable and make the bike feel VERY different.

Larger spokes were in BMX years ago, they were heavier, made things a bit stiffer, but they realized that you can typically get away with a well built 36h wheel laced 3x. Obviously BMX has changed over the years, but the wheels are being built stronger, so larger spokes aren't as needed.

If you break them all the time, then learn to tension spokes correctly, quit landing sideways while hauling ass, and/or learn to grind on your pegs better.

This. Adding weight to a rotation is a terrible idea. Glad he said it first.

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

10/9/2013 6:12 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

you could have it thicken right after it comes from the nipple and the hub and i hope 48 comes back big i loved them but they are all gone now ;( best friend snapps spokes every day just how hard he lands his full cabs

That's what a butted spoke is... lmao

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

10/9/2013 7:27 PM

i havent broken a spoke the entire 3+ years i have been riding... But i always run guards and proper spoke tension

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim
Traded: tomdon
Hooked me up: zachhendrix, oscar7588

Personal Email: snmloverbmx@hotmail.com
n-dür product info/ order email: ndur_bmx@outlook.com
n-dür on facebook

10/9/2013 8:54 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

motogrizz wrote:

That's what a butted spoke is... lmao

no im talking about changing the thickness the whole length till it reaches the attachment points so you can still run the same gauge nipples and rims not like a butted spoke where just 30mm is changed

|

The first breath is the beginning of death