Street/Tech Frame advice

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2014 7:05 PM

First question:
Okay so i'm in the market for a new frame, and i want something more responsive and technical than the average 13.5-14" rear and 75 degree head tube. I've narrowed my search down to:
-Cult SOS
-Sunday Broadcaster (I'm aware the 2014 one has a 75 degree headtube, i've heard great things though)
-Fit Benny L

They all have similar geo but i just wanted some opinions or maybe new suggestions? And although its geo is on point, theres something i dont really like about the Fit Wifi so not that one.

Secondly:
I ride a 21" TT right now and it feels slightly long and roomy. I'm pretty skinny, not that strong and 5'10, and i like to do more tech riding like grinds and whatnot, occasionally some park stuff. Do you think a 20.75 TT would be a little better? Is it that much of a difference? Especially with a shorter back end and steeper head tube. I have trouble muscling around a 21 sometimes.

Thanks

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

6/22/2014 7:20 PM

Like many of us have said on other threads about tech frames, top tube length doesn't have much to do with spinning. It's more about chainstay length. If you think a 20.75" top tube is better for you, then I would get it. It seems as if you know that 21" is a bit large for you BUT you may miss the extra room after you get the smaller tt. You really never know. The best thing you can do is try out one of your friend's bikes that has a 20.75" tt and see how that feels. If none of your friends have 20.75" top tubes then try someone's bike out at your local skatepark that has it.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/22/2014 7:26 PM

Stocksy wrote:

Like many of us have said on other threads about tech frames, top tube length doesn't have much to do with spinning. It's more ...more

I know it doesn't have to do with spinning, but like you said its just the matter of having enough leg room. If the top tube is 20.75 but the head tube is steeper, wouldnt it feel a tad bigger though?

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

6/22/2014 7:34 PM

I love my United Dinero and would recommend it. I prefer it over most super tech frames due to the 6mm thick investment cast dropouts and slightly lower standover height which is nice for footjam whips and similar flatland variations. I boosted the hell out of a quarter and must have dropped my bike from 5ft above coping and my toptube landed crazy hard on coping but was completely unharmed. I thought forsure the tubing would be dented in, but nothing. I also accidentally chainstay grinded like 10ft on a concrete ledge and there was no dents in the tubing from that. The chain and seat stays are also extra beefy which is awesome and means theres a larger weld area which is much stronger.

My second choice would be an FBM Hard Way which will be out soon, solely because, well, its FBM.

Fit Wifis are really common and well known for their strength, super trendy though. Definitely a good choice, though I dislike the burly standover.

Ive heard nothing but shit about the Cult OS, I would imagine the tech version of it (SOS) would be any better.

Sunday Broadcaster is a good choice though its not 41thermal or Post-weld heat treated, two things that makes Sunday frames as popular and strong as they are.

Also, I switched from a 21" w/ 13.75" cs to my 21.2" w/ 12.9"cs Dinero and it felt SOOOOO much smaller overall. Decreasing both chainstay and toptube lengths may not be the best idea. I would keep it the same or even go larger(if you wish, in your circumstances I probably wouldn't, sounds like 21" is good.)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/22/2014 7:41 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I love my United Dinero and would recommend it. I prefer it over most super tech frames due to the 6mm thick investment cast ...more

Thanks so much dude! I'll take all that into consideration. Huge help.

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

6/22/2014 7:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2014 7:45 PM

Get a 75.5 ht frame and some s&m fast pitch forks it'll be snappy responsive.
I'm loving my fast pitch fork with a 75 degree headtube 21 inch top tube with 13.0 chainstay frame. It's been fun ripping on it .

I am only 510 not scrawny at 175 pounds but my bike feels so quick I can just manhandle it wherever I want it to go lately hop 360s into things and alley oop airs have been what I'm stoked on .

|

6/22/2014 7:46 PM

I have the cult sect v2s, super strong and i've had them forever so i'm not trying to invest in new ones right now.

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

6/22/2014 7:47 PM

I don't think a steeper head tube would make it feel noticeably bigger unfortunately. A steeper head tube will just feel like a steeper head tube.

|

YouTube

6/22/2014 7:48 PM

Stocksy wrote:

I don't think a steeper head tube would make it feel noticeably bigger unfortunately. A steeper head tube will just feel like ...more

Meaning more responsive turning and easier to get into nose manuals?

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

6/22/2014 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2014 7:50 PM

Ya I was just suggesting the fast pitch forks because you where saying you wanted it to be responsive they are 13 mm offset as Apposed to other forks with more regular angles they are much steeper pitch and seem to spin pretty quick from what I've noticed and deffinatly make nose manual tricks easier to get into.

But ya don't need to get those just get a frame with a steep ht angle and short chainstays I might suggest a MacNeil frame their latest frames seem to be kind of speced to that type of design

|

6/22/2014 7:58 PM

luke_dawg wrote:

Yes. It may be a little twitchy depending on what your current head tube angle is if you're into hitting dirt jumps or box jumps or anything similar. I went from a 71 degree head tube angle to a 75 degree head tube angle and now I have the reoccurring problem of landing very nose heavy when I try to ride trails or any kind of jumps in general. I'm sure I could get used to it if I tried hitting jumps enough though. I don't want that to steer you away from getting a steeper head tube, I just suck at boosting and controlling my bike in the air and landing smoothly.

|

YouTube

6/22/2014 8:23 PM

I run a 75 right now and have been for 2 years so i'm sure going to a 75.5 on a united dinero or some other tech frame wouldnt take a ton of adjusting. I dont ride dirt and i just started going over coping on airs recently.

|

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

6/22/2014 9:39 PM

luke_dawg wrote:

I run a 75 right now and have been for 2 years so i'm sure going to a 75.5 on a united dinero or some other tech frame wouldnt ...more

Okay. It won't be too twitchy for you then. It will feel a little different but you'll get used to it pretty quick.

|

YouTube

6/23/2014 3:28 AM

Stocksy wrote:

Yes. It may be a little twitchy depending on what your current head tube angle is if you're into hitting dirt jumps or box ...more

What did you ride with a 71 ht angle?!

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

6/23/2014 7:24 AM

I ride a Benny (complete, not aftermarket frame but it should have the same specs). I'm only 5'7" and I hit my knee plenty so you might want to reconsider getting a shorter top tube

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

6/23/2014 7:55 AM

EddiMundo wrote:

2012 Amber Silo frame. It was off of a complete. It had a 21" tt and a long back end.....It was crazy. It definitely wasn't for me but I knew nothing about geometry when I got it.

|

YouTube

6/23/2014 8:00 AM

Stocksy wrote:

Yes. It may be a little twitchy depending on what your current head tube angle is if you're into hitting dirt jumps or box ...more

EddiMundo wrote:

Stocksy wrote:

2012 Amber Silo frame. It was off of a complete. It had a 21" tt and a long back end.....It was crazy. It definitely wasn't ...more

Woops. Nevermind, I just looked up the specs to be sure and it says it has a 74 ht angle. I thought for sure it had 71. Someone must have told me that it was 71 or something. Lol either way it was a completely unresponsive trails frame and I hate trails so it wasn't for me.

|

YouTube

6/23/2014 8:01 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I ride a Benny (complete, not aftermarket frame but it should have the same specs). I'm only 5'7" and I hit my knee plenty so ...more

Or he could get a stem with a longer reach.

|

YouTube

6/23/2014 11:03 AM

FBM Steadfast may be a good option aswell. Amazing street frame.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/23/2014 11:32 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

FBM Steadfast may be a good option aswell. Amazing street frame.

This, I'm actually getting one Wednesday and I ride a lot of street. The sad thing is this post is 100% free of bullshit.

|

6/23/2014 11:35 AM

luke_dawg wrote:

Stocksy wrote:

EddiMundo wrote:

Photo

|

6/23/2014 12:48 PM

I know exactly what your talking about with the TT lengths. I went through the exact same thing. I started off on a 21" and i felt a little stretched out on it even at 6' tall. I went to a 20.75 and it feels perfect. I have both frames, Sunday Broadcaster and a Fit Wifi as 90% of my ridin is street, and I love them both. Although if I I had to pick just one I'd go with the Sunday. I think it's a little tougher and there's more room in the dropouts for adjustments which comes in handy if your going to run four pegs. All in all if your gonna be riding street, I think the lower standover, shorter chainstays and steep head tube angles are pretty much the standard now in street frames. Throw on a freecoaster, four pegs and hub guards and you got yourself a street beast that's ready to take anything you can throw at it! The streets are calling! Lol

|