Stripped My Crank Arm, Pedal Falls Off.. Options?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2014 7:55 PM

Hit the skate park for a 5 hour session, with last hour dedicated to street.. somewhere along the line in last hour of that 5hr session my pedal was loose..

A few pedals later and the d@m thing fell off.. Thought it was the treads on the pedal itself but they looked almost new.. put it back in the crank arm and a few cranks letter it fell off again..

Looked inside the tread of the crank arm and sh*t is smooth as butter in there..


1. How or why did this happen?

2. How can I fix this.. I am now essentially bikeless..


any and all input is greatly appreciated!


oNe

|

8/12/2014 4:29 AM

Buy a new crank arm

|

It’s all bmx

8/12/2014 6:14 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Buy a new crank arm

This. ^^^
I just didn't want to be the first to state the obvious, and only, answer.

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

8/12/2014 10:26 AM

Next time it is loose, tighten it right away.

Blue Loctite.

Don't have your cranks on backwards if that is the case.

Your crank came loose, and then you kept riding, putting extra stress on the threads and they gave out.

New crank arm time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/12/2014 3:35 PM

You could try some red loctite short term, or even try to have someone weld the pedal into the crank arm, but ultimately, your buying a new crank arm.

|

8/12/2014 3:44 PM

need a new crank arm. this happened to me years ago, I didn't know anything about bikes & got my sprocket bolt stuck in the crank arm, so I drilled the head of the bolt off and flipped the crank arms around and put everything back together.

To this day, I have no idea how the pedals threaded into the crank arms so easily. They were the aluminum Odyssey phat black widow cranks though so that might be why.

Anyway, I rode like that for a few weeks before noticing my pedal was loose. Tightened it up and called it a day.. Next time I was out, it got loose again, so I again tightened it up, but then it got loose again right away, so I tightened the fucking shit out of it with a longer wrench and something with leverage and went out riding. I remember I feebled a ledge and my pedal came right off upon landing haha. Went home, looked at the threads and there was nothing in there besides a few threads near the back that my pedal never touched. Had to get new cranks then cause I couldn't find a replacement arm anywhere without buying the same crankset again.

|

8/12/2014 3:51 PM

happened to my mate, i gave him a crank arm, he was riding 2 different crank arms till he stopped riding, black and white. actually looked alright......

|



NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)


8/13/2014 8:00 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Buy a new crank arm

boston wrote:

This. ^^^
I just didn't want to be the first to state the obvious, and only, answer.

I did not realize single crank arms were sold..

Where may I buy a single crank arm? (checked Dan's page and I don't seem to see any for sale?)


oNe

|

8/13/2014 8:03 PM

What crank do you have?

what spline is it, right or left, and what length?

|

8/13/2014 8:04 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Next time it is loose, tighten it right away.

Blue Loctite.

Don't have your cranks on backwards if that is the case.

Your crank came loose, and then you kept riding, putting extra stress on the threads and they gave out.

New crank arm time.

NOt really bike mechanical (but want to be and learning the hard way)

Pretty sure the crank arms are on backwards as the pedals don't sit correctly, i.e. the edge of the pedals on the top side are towards the read axles instead of too the front axle's.. If that makes sense..

I had some dude at the bike park take a look and he agreed with me.. basically what he said is that most likely the bike was set up for Left hand drive and the previous owner flipped it over to right hand drive and just put the crank arms on backwards..

NOW this is is where he lost me.... He said its simple fix.. simply take apart the rear hub, and something about pulling the pins out and putting them in opposite of how they sit now to make it right hand drive properly and then I can flip the crank arms correctly and they will now sit where they are sposed to be..


Anyone know wut the BLOOD CLOT he is talking about? I tried asking him to explain in detail and yeah that above is the best I got...


Thanks!


oNe

|

8/13/2014 8:49 PM

This is possible but it won't change the fact that your crank is stripped.

Some hubs are right hand drive / left hand drive switchable, but the majority are not.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/13/2014 8:52 PM

transition_chris wrote:

This is possible but it won't change the fact that your crank is stripped.

Some hubs are right hand drive / left hand drive switchable, but the majority are not.

but where can I purchase a single crank arm?

also how can I determine if my hub is switchable?


its a 2012 Kink Curb

website says: Rear Hub: Mission Function Unsealed Cassette 14mm

|

8/13/2014 8:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2014 8:57 PM

You're probably out of luck to find a single crank arm, but search around. What you are looking for is an 8 spline, 170mm crank arm, either left or right side depending on what you stripped.

The replacement crank for that is only $50 in the US so it's not too big of a deal to replace the whole thing. You can also think about upgrading to a pro level crank set while you are at it if you have a bit more cash to spend.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/13/2014 9:14 PM

your hub is not switchable if it's the stock hub. You might not be able to get a replacement crank arm, but you can try a local bike shop and see if they have anything. I know the shop I'm at usually keeps spare things like that for this exact reason.


If you buy a new crankset, you will also need a new BB too, however, since your current one is an unsealed American. You'd need a sealed American BB, since they include the cups needed to press into the frame.

|

8/14/2014 6:53 PM

Guys I f@ckKked up.. its actually a 2012 Kink GAP

Crank Spec: 100% 4130 Chromoly 175mm 8-Spline

so basically(unless I get lucky at a bike shop) I have to buy these.. Mission Transit Cranks Product #452600 $49.99

New 3pc cranksfor $50... ouch but better than pro level $150 right?


What I don't understand is Why would I have to buy a new bottom bracket?

"SundaybmxRR"
If you buy a new crankset, you will also need a new BB too, however, since your current one is an unsealed American. You'd need a sealed American BB, since they include the cups needed to press into the frame.


Also not sure if this matters.. but per Kink website: Bottom Bracket: Sealed 19mm Spanish


oNe
|

8/14/2014 6:57 PM

Also I think the crank arms are on backwards? i.e. the right crank should be on left side and vice versa?

Is that possible?

Hard to explain... But The pedal edge points towards the back instead of the front.. I was like why when manualing is my rear foot hitting the rear axle? The pedals are longer towards the back instead of the front..

Hopefully someone gets what I'm saying and better yet skoolz me on what is wrong here..

I will post pics if I can find it from the craigslist ad shortly..


oNe

|

8/14/2014 7:00 PM

Phabeon wrote:

Guys I f@ckKked up.. its actually a 2012 Kink GAP

Crank Spec: 100% 4130 Chromoly 175mm 8-Spline

so basically(unless I get lucky at a bike shop) I have to buy these.. Mission Transit Cranks Product #452600 $49.99

New 3pc cranksfor $50... ouch but better than pro level $150 right?


What I don't understand is Why would I have to buy a new bottom bracket?

"SundaybmxRR"
If you buy a new crankset, you will also need a new BB too, however, since your current one is an unsealed American. You'd need a sealed American BB, since they include the cups needed to press into the frame.


Also not sure if this matters.. but per Kink website: Bottom Bracket: Sealed 19mm Spanish


oNe

You don't need a new BB if your bike is the Kink Gap, if it was the Curb you would because the spindle has threads on it, and unsealed bearings which thread onto the spindle. Sealed bottom brackets don't do that, and aftermarket cranks do not have threads on them.


You just need a new crankset, any 19mm should fit. You could buy those Mission cranks you listed, they're the same ones you have now. Or you could save up some more and buy a better crank.

Or, you could find someone local or on here in the for sale section selling a crank for around the same price. I sold my old Animal cranks for $40 so I'm sure you could find something good on here.

|

8/14/2014 7:02 PM

Phabeon wrote:

Also I think the crank arms are on backwards? i.e. the right crank should be on left side and vice versa?

Is that possible?

Hard to explain... But The pedal edge points towards the back instead of the front.. I was like why when manualing is my rear foot hitting the rear axle? The pedals are longer towards the back instead of the front..

Hopefully someone gets what I'm saying and better yet skoolz me on what is wrong here..

I will post pics if I can find it from the craigslist ad shortly..


oNe

Crank is on backwards. Look on the backside of the crank arm, there will probably be an L or an R somewhere on there. Left side goes on the left, right side goes on the right.

|

8/15/2014 12:55 PM

Take your bike to your local shop and have them install your cranks and pedals

|

It’s all bmx

8/15/2014 1:36 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Take your bike to your local shop and have them install your cranks and pedals

In his case, that's probably a good idea

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

8/15/2014 2:45 PM

Phabeon wrote:

Also I think the crank arms are on backwards? i.e. the right crank should be on left side and vice versa?

Is that possible?

Hard to explain... But The pedal edge points towards the back instead of the front.. I was like why when manualing is my rear foot hitting the rear axle? The pedals are longer towards the back instead of the front..

Hopefully someone gets what I'm saying and better yet skoolz me on what is wrong here..

I will post pics if I can find it from the craigslist ad shortly..


oNe

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Crank is on backwards. Look on the backside of the crank arm, there will probably be an L or an R somewhere on there. Left side goes on the left, right side goes on the right.

I will take a look at the bike this weekend..

but I just thought of something.. there's no way to put on a crank backwards because only one of them has that little spigot to hold the sprocket right?

So it can't be the cranks that are on backwards.. has to be the pedals.


Is it possible to put pedals on backwards?

For some reason I thought they were exclusive to the crank arm(left pedal can ONLY go on left crank) unless you cross-threaded them in error?


The PLOT thicken's..


oNe

|

8/15/2014 6:29 PM

It's possible to put pedals on backwards, but you fuck the threads up doing so.

|

8/15/2014 7:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2014 7:25 PM

There's something called a heli coil. Get one that's the same threads as your pedal and put it in your crank, they're real cheap.

|