Stripped sprocket bolt

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2019 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2019 9:20 PM

I stripped my sprocket bolt don’t wanna have to pay the bike shop $30 any way I can take it off my self hammered it and everything . It’s stripped but can still apply some force to it but still slips out. Any tips?

|

3/14/2019 8:25 PM

Ooookay? Are you asking how to take it out or are you just updating us on the current status of your sprocket bolt?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2019 9:02 PM

so the allen key broach is rounded you mean?

take the crank arm off the spindle and see if you can get something like pliers or vice grips around the head.

if not, then you can try to lightly hit the sprocket backwards against something soft like a block of wood. Don't hit it on anything like concrete. that might work the sprocket bolt backwards and out enough to loosen it the rest of the way by hand or using a tool of some sort

|

3/14/2019 9:19 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

so the allen key broach is rounded you mean?

take the crank arm off the spindle and see if you can get something like pliers or vice grips around the head.

if not, then you can try to lightly hit the sprocket backwards against something soft like a block of wood. Don't hit it on anything like concrete. that might work the sprocket bolt backwards and out enough to loosen it the rest of the way by hand or using a tool of some sort

Alright thanks man I’m going to try to use a block of wood to take it off tomorrow I’ll let you know

|

3/14/2019 9:20 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Ooookay? Are you asking how to take it out or are you just updating us on the current status of your sprocket bolt?

Asking how

|

3/14/2019 9:30 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

tahir wrote:

Asking how

Hammer an easy-out into the head of the bolt and back it out with a tap wrench or a spanner. Alternatively, drill the head off the bolt and twist the rest of it out with a vise grips(although, it should be loose enough to do by hand, once the head is gone).

Get some good Allen keys and make sure they seat all the way into the bolt before turning to avoid having to deal with this again.

If you're going to ask a question, then just ask a question. Just telling us you've stripped your sprocket bolt is not the same as asking how to remove it

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/14/2019 9:37 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Hammer an easy-out into the head of the bolt and back it out with a tap wrench or a spanner. Alternatively, drill the head off the bolt and twist the rest of it out with a vise grips(although, it should be loose enough to do by hand, once the head is gone).

Get some good Allen keys and make sure they seat all the way into the bolt before turning to avoid having to deal with this again.

If you're going to ask a question, then just ask a question. Just telling us you've stripped your sprocket bolt is not the same as asking how to remove it

It’s a new bike so I have to use force to remove it didn’t wanna loosen up and end up getting it stripped I tried hammering but it just messes up the bolt even more but I will update you soon thanks

|

3/14/2019 9:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2019 9:48 PM

tahir wrote:

It’s a new bike so I have to use force to remove it didn’t wanna loosen up and end up getting it stripped I tried hammering but it just messes up the bolt even more but I will update you soon thanks

As a general rule, if you're taking a hammer to a bike part, you'd really want to have already exhausted any and every other possible option

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/15/2019 10:47 AM

For future reference: stripped is different from rounded.

Take your crank arm off and hit your sprocket on something like wood, holding the crank arm like a hammer, with the sprocket on the right hand side (if it's rhd), as mentioned by Sunday.

|

3/15/2019 11:34 AM

cut a slit into the bolt head. use a screwdriver to unscrew it.

|

3/15/2019 1:03 PM

It’s off with the wood method thanks guys

|