Stronger Nips?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2013 2:00 PM

I have a habit of breaking nipples. Not actual spokes, but nipples. I have the long, brass nipples, but they break from time to time causing a bit of an inconvenience. It isnt my rim, or wheel, i built it and it is strong and true and the nipples are in straight and stuff, they just break due to stress. So what are some options i have so my nips stop breaking? (lactating) Are alloy nipples stronger?

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

10/21/2013 2:19 PM

Sounds like you over tighten them

|

10/21/2013 2:25 PM

Ive come to find brass is stronger out of the two. I think ^that guy is right. Dont make em super tight just snug. But if you insist on breaking em. Buy some G-Sport Hex nipples. EXPENSIVE

|

10/21/2013 2:40 PM

Yea, I would guess you hit your spokes and the nipples give, largely due to everything being too tight.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/21/2013 3:01 PM

What most people overlook when building wheels is using spoke prep, or even a decent grease on the threads can help with stripping and breakin nipples, if you can afford them the taper hex are very good nipples.

Stick with brass over aluminium if you arent going for the taper hex you will have much better luck but always prep!

|

10/21/2013 3:15 PM

BNC wrote:

Sounds like you over tighten them

Yeah, there is a chance i may overtighten, but my spokes really arent that tight. They have a bit of give. I dont hit my spokes ever really, i have guards too. so it doesnt make sense that they break. Imma get those good nips i guess. Are they on Danscomp?

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

10/21/2013 3:19 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Yeah, there is a chance i may overtighten, but my spokes really arent that tight. They have a bit of give. I dont hit my spokes ever really, i have guards too. so it doesnt make sense that they break. Imma get those good nips i guess. Are they on Danscomp?

Empire has hem if you're talking about the G-sports.

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9252

|

10/21/2013 5:23 PM

Gsport nipples
Grease the threads
Don't over tighten them

I've never had an issue with any of the wheels I've built when I've followed these rules

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

10/22/2013 5:32 AM

Sideways landings?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/22/2013 11:26 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Sideways landings?

This.

You might be landing rough, the only time I've ever broken brass nipples is when I clipped my front wheel's spokes on the edge of a short grind box. I went to 180 to smith it and got on it weird and the edge of the angle iron killed a nipple or 2

|

10/22/2013 3:46 PM

BNC wrote:

Empire has hem if you're talking about the G-sports.

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9252

Thanks dude, i think i may get these if i have a chance soon.

|

10/22/2013 3:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Sideways landings?

I dont really do that often. haha

|