Strongest cranks?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2016 3:38 AM

I have snapped two pairs of cranks (stock saltplus and some united cranks) and im looking to get some that wont snap on me since im jumping much bigger sets and stuff now. If people could list a couple of choices then that would be great. Also, i have only ever had 175mm and thinking of going to 170mm but i am unsure. Cheers!

|

10/13/2016 5:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2016 5:20 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

I have snapped two pairs of cranks (stock saltplus and some united cranks) and im looking to get some that wont snap on me ...more

Okay, i have heard that socket drive is better for tight spots but i would have to buy a new sprocket and everything which cost around 90AUD and there is a much smaller selection. I have bad luck with tight spots.

At the moment i am looking at the Subrosa Big Bitchin cranks or the Shadow Conspiracy Killer Cranks.

Also, so far i can only find 175mm cranks, i am 6'1 and a half if that helps. Have heard 170's make spins better?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

|

10/13/2016 7:05 AM

The shadow killer crank is the best crank avaiable to me, it feels stiff and solid and I love to do crankarm feeble on ledges, but with this grind the "around axle and bolt" part of the crank is super exposed and the bolt ends up stuck in the crank on my old crank, but the way the shadow crank is made, no way this can happen.

About the size question, I'm 6.1" too and I ride a 170 mm shadow crank since a few month after years on 175's and I love the shorter size, more comfortable feet positioning on pedals (100% personnal) and with feet closer together I find it easier to apply pressure on the BB on manuals, about spins, I didn't notice anything crazy except on quick fullcabs, I feel so locked on my bike and it's cool. I wouldn't ride shorter than 170 tho.

|

10/13/2016 7:49 AM

Odyssey thunderbolts, because odyssey

My personal preference is profile cranks. There's just something about how they feel that I really like. But the only other cranks I'd look at would be odyssey

|

10/13/2016 9:57 AM

Primo Powerbites. Seriously there are no welds or anything at all to worry about. My set are first generation bossless ones that are like fifteen years old and well used. They're still going hard. And the ones made now are even better.

|

10/13/2016 10:18 AM

Demolition revolt cranks

|

10/13/2016 10:50 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Primo Powerbites. Seriously there are no welds or anything at all to worry about. My set are first generation bossless ones ...more

I ran a set and the pedal threads crapped out the absolute second my pedal wasn't perfectly snug. They were great otherwise.

Crank arm grinds on steel kind of sucked with mine though, they stuck pretty badly.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/13/2016 11:15 AM

Thunderbolts are ok but mine are bending after almost two years. I think i'm gonna try animal cranks next but any 22mm crank from a reputable brand should be fine.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

10/13/2016 12:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2016 12:38 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I ran a set and the pedal threads crapped out the absolute second my pedal wasn't perfectly snug. They were great otherwise.

...more

My Powerbites are still going strong after 14+yrs (admittedly, I only have 4-5yrs of actual riding on them though).

Shit, I had to use a 4' cheater bar to get off my last set of pedals... Luckily they didn't strip though lol

If I was going to get new cranks these day's, it would be Odyssey, Profile, or Animal (in the spline drive variety).

|

10/13/2016 1:08 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Thunderbolts are ok but mine are bending after almost two years. I think i'm gonna try animal cranks next but any 22mm crank ...more

What about Mankind Nexus Cranks?

|

10/13/2016 2:58 PM

Currently have 3rd hand twombolts that are ok.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/14/2016 8:42 AM

Fit Indents, Animal Akimbos and Odyssey Thunderbolts. My next set of cranks are going to be Fit Indents.

|

10/14/2016 9:26 PM

I'm going to be honest and say I barely rode my Animal Akimbos , but they were the most stiff , good looking and feeling cranks , plus they were simple to install . No gimmicks . I would never sell them .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/15/2016 12:25 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

...more

Yeah the Powerbites are a softer metal and will stick if you try to grind them. But this isn't really a problem for me.

|

10/15/2016 12:55 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Primo Powerbites. Seriously there are no welds or anything at all to worry about. My set are first generation bossless ones ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

Yeah the Powerbites are a softer metal and will stick if you try to grind them. But this isn't really a problem for me.

They are 6061 aluminum alloy, rather than chromoly steel.

I stopped doing crank arm grinds a LONG time ago, so they don't really apply to me anymore.

I only really did them for a few years back in like 2004-2007 or so, and mine were different than what people do now, I was on the arm ONLY, my pedal never touched or was hooked. It was more like a boardslide on my crank arm.

Nowadays people are on the corner of a rail and hook their pedal.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/15/2016 8:02 PM

I've had profile GHD's since 2011.. I suggest profiles

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert