Stuck Allen Bolt/ Hex Bolt

Related:
Create New Tag

1/31/2017 4:13 PM

I got a new Hoffman Bama and the Allen screws (hex bolts) holding the top loader stem pieces won't unscrew. I've rounded off one Allen key and used WD40. I can't put the handlebars on. Does anyone know how to take the bolts off?

|

An Indian on a small bike

1/31/2017 5:23 PM

|

1/31/2017 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2017 6:31 PM

If only one bolt is rounded, it should be pretty easy to remove that one once the other 3 are removed. Just push the Allen key into the good bolts and hold it down firmly while you turn the Allen key until you break the bolts loose. If that fails, EZ-outs are probably your best bet. Just make sure you grease the threads next time you install a stem and you'll probably not have this problem again.

EDIT: Never mind, I read it as you'd rounded a bolt. Check you're using the correct size Allen key, check the head of the Allen key and each of the bolts and above all else, use decent quality tools.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/31/2017 6:18 PM

Are you positive you're using the right size allen key? double check that, then follow the advice above.

|

1/31/2017 7:08 PM

That shouldn't happen if you are using metric wrenches.

|

2/1/2017 7:26 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

yeah, I think he's using to wrong size tool.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

2/1/2017 10:45 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Metric Allen keys in imperial bolts will round either the Allen key or the bolt very quickly.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson