Stuck Integrated Tensioner

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2018 2:17 PM

I bought a 20 last week. 2013 Wethepeople Trust. It’s not in bad shape, the usual scrapes and scuffs.

Whilst I was stripping it to clean it up, I realised it had integrated chain tensioners. The drive side came out without too much drama but the nds snapped at the hex/alun key hole. Tried a pair of pliers to grip it but it’s well an truly stuck.

Any ideas of how to get it out?? I’ve used WD40 to soak it but I’m thinking a drill is my next stop

|

If you build it, they will come

1/15/2018 2:28 PM

All my mechanic friends tell me when something is stuck they soak it in diesel fuel for a while and that helps

|

1/15/2018 2:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2018 3:34 PM

There are better penetrating oils than WD40. I'd look into one of them & let it soak. Then, when you go to loosen it, instead of trying to take it out, try to tighten it a little. Then try to loosen... Back & forth. That'll loosen bolts up a lot of the time. Lastly, if all else fails, if you have access to a torch, heat up the bolt (not the frame... You'll burn and/or discolor the paint or metal) while still hot (be careful) try to tighten/loosen.

|

1/15/2018 3:01 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

There are better penetrating oils than WD40. I'd look into one of them & let it soak. Then, when you go to loosen it, ...more

it sounds wierd but automatic transmission fluid works way better than any penetrating oil ive ever used

|

Hmmm

1/15/2018 3:39 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

There are better penetrating oils than WD40. I'd look into one of them & let it soak. Then, when you go to loosen it, ...more

Edman123 wrote:

it sounds wierd but automatic transmission fluid works way better than any penetrating oil ive ever used

I've used that too. It is just oil, after all. We have some pretty heavy duty shit we user at work that, I swear, would seep into an airtight submarine!

|

1/16/2018 7:56 AM

Also, use some vice grips.

|

1/16/2018 7:58 AM

Got a blowtorch? Set the torch onto the bolt for about a minute or so (or until things start to glow) and then give it hell.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/17/2018 8:58 AM

I used my Dremel(not a dremel) to cut a notch in the screw so I could get a screwdriver in there. It wasn’t going to get reused anyway....came out no problem!

|

If you build it, they will come

1/17/2018 1:27 PM

Two words: PB Blaster

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican