Stumped trying to run headset spacers

Related:
Create New Tag

8/23/2017 4:32 PM

I wanted to give my bars a bit of rise but I can seems to figure out how people are running big headset spacers. I just threw on a new set of fit forks with a 166mm head tube. All I can run is a smaller headset cap. Anything taller and I can't get the top cap to thread in and plus is wouldnt leave me with not alot of steerer tube going into the stem. I see some headsets come with a 1 inch top cap and I can't figure out how that would work. Seems most forks have a 165mm steerer.

|

8/23/2017 7:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/23/2017 7:02 PM

You sure those forks are 165mm steerer tube? My Odyssey R32 forks are 166mm and fit the Stevie headset, which is just shy of an inch, maybe slightly more.

That is the Freeze stem, right? I'm also running that. Maybe your headtube is longer than most?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

8/23/2017 10:55 PM

Marketing. And headtube length. A large stack is a bad idea anyway, they create a weak point in the steerer tube, that's how forks snap underneath the stem

|

8/24/2017 1:35 AM

As above, most likely the length of your headtube.

|

8/24/2017 5:05 AM

forks are brand new fit blade v3. Fits site says 166 for the steerer. frame is a sunday motoross 21

|

8/24/2017 5:10 AM

its weird because I see sunday bike checks and some are running a tall headset. pretty sure the average steerer tube size is 165

|

8/24/2017 5:58 AM

Sunday MotoRoss frames have a taller head tube than most frames which is probably why....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/24/2017 6:07 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Sunday MotoRoss frames have a taller head tube than most frames which is probably why....

that's the only thing I could think of. looks like I have to find a set of 9.5 bars

|

8/24/2017 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2017 10:21 AM

See if you can exchange your new Fit forks for the S&M Widemouth XL forks (172mm).

|

8/24/2017 11:29 AM

for only 1/4 inch of extra steerer ill prob keep the fit forks and just go with taller bars. Seems like I would only be able to add one small spacer with the slightly longer steerer. Right now im riding 9 inch bars. maybe try 9.5 bars?

|

8/24/2017 12:07 PM

Unless your 6'4" you really don't need to go higher

It won't magically make you better at riding

|

8/24/2017 12:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2017 12:12 PM

Grab some s and m elevenz and put your headset back to normal...
http://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/elevenz-bar/

|

8/24/2017 12:15 PM

its not about "making me better at riding" its to keep my back more upright due to previous lower back injuries from motocross

|

8/24/2017 1:19 PM

ct-corey wrote:

its not about "making me better at riding" its to keep my back more upright due to previous lower back injuries from motocross

I've been looking for a similar solution. I started with shitty hernia bars from a Walmart bike (7.5" rise) to a pair of 8.5's, and now I'm riding a set of 9". The extra rise feels better every time, but I still wanna be more upright when standing. I already have a 53mm profile push topload and I'm tired of changing bars.

I already want another fork with a steeper offset, so if I get one with a little longer of a steer tube, I can get some extra height that way.

|

8/24/2017 5:57 PM

ct-corey wrote:

TokenBMX wrote:

I've been looking for a similar solution. I started with shitty hernia bars from a Walmart bike (7.5" rise) to a pair of 8.5's, and now I'm riding a set of 9". The extra rise feels better every time, but I still wanna be more upright when standing. I already have a 53mm profile push topload and I'm tired of changing bars.

I already want another fork with a steeper offset, so if I get one with a little longer of a steer tube, I can get some extra height that way.

A shorter top tube, and stem could also help a lot, but no one ever does that. I think a lot of people ride bikes that are too long for them, and then try to compensate with taller bars. Whatever makes you happy though.

|

8/24/2017 11:20 PM

You're not supposed to be in an upright position on a bmx. I'd suggest working on your core strength and healing your back up properly. Having higher bars won't fix back issues, but will make your bike feel like arse

|

8/25/2017 7:56 AM

Steve, he wants to be in a "more" upright position, not 100% upright. I could put Elevenz on my bike and still be hunched over, so does that mean I should?

Also, the way a bike "feels", or what relief someone gets when riding a taller set-up is 100% personal preference. We all know you like FL stems and 8.5"-9" bars, but that doesn't mean everyone else is going to, or should like the same set-up.

|

8/25/2017 8:20 AM

I'm not saying everyone should set their bike up the same. I'm saying he's already got 9" bars and a top load, and having higher bars won't stop his back hurting. But exercising his back and letting injuries heal properly will.

|

8/25/2017 10:00 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're not supposed to be in an upright position on a bmx. I'd suggest working on your core strength and healing your back up properly. Having higher bars won't fix back issues, but will make your bike feel like arse

?? Lol. Who's rule is this? Is there a chart or actual study you can cite that specifies that the optimal position is definitely less upright than he is already??

|

8/25/2017 11:05 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sean_Goff wrote:

?? Lol. Who's rule is this? Is there a chart or actual study you can cite that specifies that the optimal position is definitely less upright than he is already??

So if 9.5" bars don't help should he get 10? And if that doesn't help? Why not just get 16" rise bars just to be sure, right?

If your leg hurt would you get shorter cranks and keep getting shorter and shorter in the hope it'll stop your leg hurting?

If you have an injury, changing your set up won't make it go away.

|

8/27/2017 2:46 PM

Just curious but if you guys measure your head tube what you come up with?

|

8/27/2017 3:47 PM

Most frames are 4 1/2", some are 4 3/4" and more are becoming 5".

My Tall Boy is 5", so thats why I got the 172mm widemouths (pretty much max height).

|

8/27/2017 4:29 PM

Mine is 4 1/2

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/27/2017 5:35 PM

4 3/4 here. Maybe that's why

|

8/28/2017 7:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2017 7:54 AM

Something isn't adding up my dude... We need to Sherlock Holmes this shit.

Steerer tube = 166mm

Head tube = 120.65mm
Sunday Freeze stem = 33mm (stack height)
Headset cap/ spacer = 8mm, 10mm, or 15mm? (looks like 15mm, so I'll go with that)

That's a total stack height of: 168.65mm

168.65mm - 166mm = 2.65mm of "theoretical" compression gap and from your first pic it looks like you have exactly that much compression space, so how is your compression cap not able to thread in?

Ideally you wan't about 3.5-6mm of compression gap, but you should still be able to easily thread in your compression cap and "theoretically" add anywhere from 1-4mm of extra spacers.

The only thing I can think of is the threads inside your steerer tube aren't threaded high enough, or your compression cap is somehow too short (both very unlikely)?

Also, did you make sure that you didn't accidentally put the headset race from your headset kit on your fork (your fork already has it integrated)?

TL;DR: I'm not seeing how you should be having any issues.

*Edit: With your current set-up you should "theoretically" be able to run a total of 18.35mm of spacers with no issues.

|

8/28/2017 9:17 AM

if you look at the top picture you can see that the threads start way below the top. even as it sits the top cap just catches a few threads. always assumer a majority of the steerer should go through the stem. the forks have a built in race and I made sure theres nothing extra there.

|

8/28/2017 9:21 AM

as of now the top cap threads in. if I add any spacers it will not.

|

8/28/2017 9:46 AM

I personally like to have the top of my steerer tube just above the top pinch bolt. Some say you can go up to 1/4", or 6mm, but I think that would be below the top pinch bolt for most.

Also, I thought you were still having issues with your first pic set-up.

Is your Demolition headset cap 10mm, or 15mm (V2 is 15mm I think)?

|

8/28/2017 10:01 AM

Not sure what version I can check tho box it came in. It came with 2 different size top caps. This is the bigger of the 2.

|

8/28/2017 10:23 AM

|