Stupid question

Related:
Create New Tag

3/31/2015 4:28 PM

how do preload fork bolts work? Do you have to have a threaded fork? Lol sorry for the dumb question never put one on

|

Refs-
Sold: Frame to kidzappy9900
Bought: TCbmx, RDB, crazyale666, noendinsight666, Future_D, hatchmoses, White Knight, the_bmxist, another username,

3/31/2015 5:09 PM

They work similarly to how crank bolts work. Crank bolts (Aside from some anyway) thread into the spindle while compressing against the inside of the crank arm spindle boss, thus making it tight. Just like the compression cap/preload bolt threads into the steerer tube of the fork, compressing against the stem, making everything tight.

Photo

Left is the steerer tube with threads inside, although sizes will vary and some might even be just a regular star nut. Threads on the outside are "threaded forks", the one shown above is not considered threaded, as most modern forks are "Threadless"

Pictured on the right is the compression/preload bolt, which does just as the name implies.. compresses the stem against the headset, snugging everything up.

|

3/31/2015 10:37 PM

Okay they are for threaded forks. I have always used one like this Photo

|

Refs-
Bought: TCbmx, RDB, crazyale666, noendinsight666, Future_D, hatchmoses, White Knight, the_bmxist, another username,

4/2/2015 8:51 AM

That photo above works the same way as the one posted before. Loosen stem bolts, tighten the compression bolt posted above until there is no play in the headset bearings, and then tighten the stem bolts.

You just learned how to adjust a headset.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/3/2015 7:14 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

That photo above works the same way as the one posted before. Loosen stem bolts, tighten the compression bolt posted above ...more

I kinda was just asking because i stripped mine and my fork doesnt have the threads inside of the steertube. Instead it has a starnut. Sorry i didnt mean to ask HOW THEY WORK. I Know how it all works but always used a starnut so when i was looking at new ones, and all i seen was the ones that thread into the fork, (instead of screwing into a starnut in the fork) it had me scratching my head for a second. I really just wanted to know if i had to get one like the s&m fork bolt or if i could get one of the others but seeing as my fork isnt threaded ill have to go with the starnut ones

|

Refs-

4/4/2015 6:50 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

That photo above works the same way as the one posted before. Loosen stem bolts, tighten the compression bolt posted above ...more

MoMoney wrote:

I kinda was just asking because i stripped mine and my fork doesnt have the threads inside of the steertube. Instead it has a ...more

Gotcha, a new starnut and bolt set would be wise, and around 8 bucks or so with a topcap.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/4/2015 11:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

MoMoney wrote:

I kinda was just asking because i stripped mine and my fork doesnt have the threads inside of the steertube. Instead it has a ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Gotcha, a new starnut and bolt set would be wise, and around 8 bucks or so with a topcap.

Correct, and i used a piece of pipe through the bottom of the forks to tap it out. Unless you have a quality brand that weld them in then you are in a little trouble, you can find a steel hole saw the same diameter as the inner of your forks to drill/cut it out. Good luck.

|

4/4/2015 9:11 PM

....and if just you're top cap is stripped out/all around F'd up, the size when ordering is M10, which is the basic OD on the bolt, in millimetres. Threaded forks use 24 or 25 mm compression bolts. Not sure what the threading is, but most likely 1.5.

|

Check my bikecheck
Eat shit or die tryin', yo!

4/4/2015 9:23 PM

WaldoBMX wrote:

....and if just you're top cap is stripped out/all around F'd up, the size when ordering is M10, which is the basic OD on the ...more

Not always M10 for star nuts

A lot use a smaller size than that like this

[LINK TO IMAGE]

As opposed to the M10 size

Photo

But if the OP's is the size of the second photo, then M10 bolts such as the S&M will fit.

|

4/5/2015 2:34 PM

Ah, I forgot about the little guys. Yeah...What he said ^^^

|

Check my bikecheck
Eat shit or die tryin', yo!

4/6/2015 8:58 AM

In a pinch I used a 10 inch bolt from the bottom of the fork crown (with a washer) up through the whole steer tube and it came out above the stem, with a spacer there. Cost me like 2 bucks. Looked like butt, but it worked well. That was back in the day and star nuts slipped in and out of the steer tube on that fork like butter.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura