Suggestions for Chains

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2013 8:32 AM

I do more park and street, no trails. So many choices out there that i cant figure out. I been rocking the KMC Kool chain for about 5 years now but i been hearing my chain jump so i am getting new sprocket and figure why not go for a chain too.

-I don't do no 10 ft drop to flats but i do brake-less tire taps/grinds so i need it to be strong.
-I am running 30-11 cassette.
-Not trying to drop a chunk of cash on a chain either
-KMC?

|

11/13/2013 8:35 AM

KMC 410H (Heavy duty)
I've had one for over a year and haven't broken any links compared to my 710 which lasted me under half a year and my shadow which lasted only a few months. Its also cheap (9.99) and comes in the "Danscomp chain replacement pack" with lube and a chain breaker for $12

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/13/2013 8:46 AM

Idk how you only run a shadow for a few months then snap it but whatever.

I personally would recommend a shadow because ive been running one for over a year and its never snapped on me. Actually one of the strongest chains on the market and well worth the price. Last chain I bought that was $9.99 snapped the day I put it on so do not go for a cheap chain. But anyways if you install the shadow chain properly and keep removing a link as the chain stretches, you will have no issues there.

|

United Bike Co

The Shadow Conspiracy

"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

11/13/2013 9:18 AM

Yeah except its a 9.99 chain that's as thick as that POS shadow and its full link which distributes the force onto a greater amount of chain, which means less stress on the individual links. I see people with average gear ratios (25/9 28/10 30/11) have no problems with half link chains. But then people with oversized gears (27+/9 24+/8 32+/10) can't keep a half link to save their life.
I personally don't see the point of a chain that not only weighs and costs three times as much as a regular chain, but distributes all of its force on half links compared to a full link chain that distributes that exact same amount of force onto a full link (twice as much material receiving the same amount of force).
Maybe try some research on the chain I mentioned before you bash on it. It might be cheap, but its also better. In my case, it has PROVED to be better than TWO shadow interlock v2s, a cult OS HL, two KMC 710 Kools, and a KMC 510 dropbuster.

Probably the reason its so cheap is because its simple, I believe when it comes to chains, all the fancy technological advances only make them weaker, such as mushroom pins (destroys the pin.holes in the links over time) and butted links (stretches out easier). The KMC 410H is just like the KMC 410(non butted, straight pins) except with thicker links (inner and outer, the 710 failed me because the inner links weren't any thicker than a normal chain's). So basically, its the most simple chain on the market, except beefier. So far, no pins have moved or come loose, no links have cracked or broke, 0 problems over all.
Its just so simple it doesn't need a fat price tag on it, but its definitely not some cheap walmart chain or a regular 410 (gets the job done, but its pretty thin so it doesn't last long for someone like me with a high gear ratio aand pedal pressures with everything)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

11/13/2013 9:38 AM

How do you guys feel about the drop buster/ Z510HX?

|

11/13/2013 9:41 AM

My 410h snapped in less than a month. My 510 was smashed like the links got beat with a hammer and non of them were brokenor frozen. My 710 is proving to be one of my favorites. Still, full link is better than halflink.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

11/13/2013 9:42 AM

Buy it. You wont regret it.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

11/13/2013 10:01 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Yeah except its a 9.99 chain that's as thick as that POS shadow and its full link which distributes the force onto a greater amount of chain, which means less stress on the individual links. I see people with average gear ratios (25/9 28/10 30/11) have no problems with half link chains. But then people with oversized gears (27+/9 24+/8 32+/10) can't keep a half link to save their life.
I personally don't see the point of a chain that not only weighs and costs three times as much as a regular chain, but distributes all of its force on half links compared to a full link chain that distributes that exact same amount of force onto a full link (twice as much material receiving the same amount of force).
Maybe try some research on the chain I mentioned before you bash on it. It might be cheap, but its also better. In my case, it has PROVED to be better than TWO shadow interlock v2s, a cult OS HL, two KMC 710 Kools, and a KMC 510 dropbuster.

Probably the reason its so cheap is because its simple, I believe when it comes to chains, all the fancy technological advances only make them weaker, such as mushroom pins (destroys the pin.holes in the links over time) and butted links (stretches out easier). The KMC 410H is just like the KMC 410(non butted, straight pins) except with thicker links (inner and outer, the 710 failed me because the inner links weren't any thicker than a normal chain's). So basically, its the most simple chain on the market, except beefier. So far, no pins have moved or come loose, no links have cracked or broke, 0 problems over all.
Its just so simple it doesn't need a fat price tag on it, but its definitely not some cheap walmart chain or a regular 410 (gets the job done, but its pretty thin so it doesn't last long for someone like me with a high gear ratio aand pedal pressures with everything)

K lol

|

United Bike Co

The Shadow Conspiracy

"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

11/13/2013 10:11 AM

@jrobez Just to let you know, the shadow chain isn't a bad chain. Didn't want you to go off someones negative personal opinion. But since you are running a 30-11 a full link would be better in this case. But I have seen half on that big of drivetrain.

|

United Bike Co

The Shadow Conspiracy

11/13/2013 10:17 AM

Understandable, i've considered it but the half links cost a lot more, that's my only giver.

|

11/13/2013 10:23 AM

i don't like half links but, for sake of argument, half link (or any chain for that matter) would be better on a 30/11 rather than a 25/9. the 30/11 works out to 2.73 and the 25/9 works out to 2.78 so the ratio is almost the same but with a 30/11, there are more points of contact on the chain so the tension is distributed over more of the chain, thus less likely to break. my post is mostly irrelevant to the OP's question but i had to speak up after reading some of the comments.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

11/13/2013 10:27 AM

but to give my opinion on half link vs full link. i prefer full link. my half links always broke at the bends.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

11/13/2013 11:23 AM

For 30/11, you can run a Wippermann 1G8. Stronger than any other BMX chain, period.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/13/2013 12:03 PM

Kmc 510 chain

|

11/13/2013 3:03 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

For 30/11, you can run a Wippermann 1G8. Stronger than any other BMX chain, period.

You and your Wipperman!

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

11/13/2013 3:29 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

We used one of those on project aith a 24cc motor, no snapped links, but it cost 50 goddamn dollars.

|

11/13/2013 3:54 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

KMC 410H (Heavy duty)
I've had one for over a year and haven't broken any links compared to my 710 which lasted me under half a year and my shadow which lasted only a few months. Its also cheap (9.99) and comes in the "Danscomp chain replacement pack" with lube and a chain breaker for $12

link to the 12 dollar package? i can't find it.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

11/13/2013 4:09 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

We used one of those on project aith a 24cc motor, no snapped links, but it cost 50 goddamn dollars.

I think I paid 80, but I had a gift card for Amazon from doing a survey for AT&T, so it was basically free.

@Motogrizz, I have had this thing for over a year now, and it has never stretched like all the other chains, and obviously hasn't broken, like all my other chains. I had never heard of them before I bought one, and it's more than proven itself to me, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/13/2013 4:09 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

link to the 12 dollar package? i can't find it.

Can't copy and paste links on my phone. Look at chains and it should be there. Or search chain. I remember i had a hard time finding it too

|

11/13/2013 4:17 PM

|

11/13/2013 4:22 PM

GTRPLR1995 wrote:

Idk how you only run a shadow for a few months then snap it but whatever.

I personally would recommend a shadow because ive been running one for over a year and its never snapped on me. Actually one of the strongest chains on the market and well worth the price. Last chain I bought that was $9.99 snapped the day I put it on so do not go for a cheap chain. But anyways if you install the shadow chain properly and keep removing a link as the chain stretches, you will have no issues there.

I had the Shadow chain, installed properly from day 1 and it broke multiple times from the pins pushing themselves out. Not run too tight either.

Half links are actually stretch a lot more too.

OP, the z510hx chain would be fine.

I'd also recommend as stated above, the 410H

|

11/13/2013 4:28 PM

Get anything and just wait until the Keychain drops.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital